Far Cry 5 - Hope springs eternal

Ha! Just coming here to post that. That looks like an awesome addition that really increases my interest in the game. Ubisoft has been pleasantly surprising me a lot recently.

That might be awesome… but I don’t get the ‘Arcade’ nomenclature, which to me says ‘short and action focused’. Is that an actual limitation? They say I can put a compound underwater… can I put Paris underwater? Is there scripting…?

I think it’s just coding for the fact that it will be presented as separate custom experiences under a banner that’s different from the main game. Kind of like the user-made downloadable levels in Ubi’s own Trials Fusion.

Because it’s user-made, the majority of them will no doubt be shorter smallish levels, but previous Far Cry editor output could get pretty complicated.

I didn’t have the sound on, but the impression I get is that this is a level editor like with Far Cry 2, but this time it can be used to build single player missions, coop missions and multiplayer stuff. And Ubisoft will regularly make maps for it in all those categories. And it’s also got some kind of layer with character creation and skins and such. So maybe they can put the lootbox portion of the game into this map editor.

Here is the trailer showing some of the season pass stuff. Daaaaaaaamn!

I think Mars should be a full game.

Wow, I never realized how different the sounds of Québecois French were from French French (the kind you typically hear in movies). That first French speaker was particularly different sounding. Stipulated that I’m not a native French speaker (mine is strictly “Français pour survivre comme touriste”).

Out of curiosity, is your French good enough to understand what he was saying? If so, did his accent make it much harder?

Well, my tourist survival French doesn’t catch most normal speed speech on a good day, but I would have recognized a lot more of it if he’d spoken with a more “standard” accent. The nasalized vowels were particularly hard to recognize (they pronounce those really differently in Québec, it sounds like).
All of this assumes the guy was from Québec. Maybe he’s from Belgium or something?

I suppose anything is possible, but I would be very surprised if you were wrong, it’s pretty much the same accent as mine. I would say that it is the most common, or “generic” accent from Québec.

Mind you, what you would hear while watching or listening to the news, tv or movies would often be closer to the “International French” standard (i.e. upper-class parisian French). But the cultures and accents are different enough that most movies that get dubbed get two versions, which can lead to weird differences in the content, like that Simpsons episode where Bart goes to France on a student exchange.

Anyways, enough thread derailment, but thanks for answering, it’s fun to get an outside perspective!

More live-action theater.

Too much ubistuff?

Looks like your typical Far Cry game but I agree it seems too busy.

Luckily that video doesn’t play for me.

Maybe ignorance is bliss. I wonder if you can just turn off the markers on the map like with Witcher 3, and the game is just all that much better for it?

Once I turned off undiscovered POI markers in Witcher 3, I never complained that there was too much stuff. But when the markers were on, so many of those markers just felt like a waste of my time.

The developers seem to have forgotten that Farcry 5 was at its heart a fishing simulator, and instead went all crazy with bear fights, cults, and shooting. :(

It doesn’t look like turning markers off would address the issues highlighted in that video. It looks nearly impossible to get any peace of mind; events are constantly happening all around you no matter where you go or what you’re doing. (E.g. forget trying to fish in peace.)

Still going to play the hell out of it, but it’s sad that there’s probably no good way to dial all that activity down.

Edit: lordkosc summed it up a bit more succinctly.

Far Cry 5 is a #MAGA simulator.

I like that they’ve named a character after my analogy for what makes Ubigames vaguely bland and unsatisfying.

Out in 5 days and it seems there is a general lack of care around the internet regarding its release.

Anyone getting this on day 1?

Wow I didn’t realize it’s only 5 days away!

I’m trying to decide if I want to jump into this or play 4 or Primal which I own but haven’t launched yet.