Far Cry 5 - Hope springs eternal

It’s also hard to believe those are 2008 graphics? Is that a modified version?

Which part looks like it doesn’t belong in 2008? It might be modified, I don’t know, but overall detail is still the same in the original version. It was a good looking game, but CoD4 looked even better IMO in 2007.

Details not seen in that video where Far Cry 5 is better than Far Cry 2 (just off the top of my head):

• Far Cry 5 has pets and more active allies
  • Far Cry 5 has planes
  • Far Cry 5 has animals that don’t drop dead if you accidentally slightly brush them with your vehicle. Instead they can attack you. They have weight.
  • Far Cry 5 has fish and fishing. Far Cry 5 has hunting.
  • Far Cry 5 has animals as independent entities that can interact with the human enemies.

And so on.

It looks pretty great for 2008. The grass, trees and enemies all had pretty good detail.

I never finished Far Cry 2. I remember having some technical difficulties with it, but also it was a more serious shooter. With the addition of malaria and harder travel across the map, it drug on me pretty heavily. Or I just got interrupted by some other game, which is more likely the case.

Far Cry 5, for better or worse, has also taken in some of the things its competition is doing. More side-mission antics, more of a Just Cause zaniness, more animals and hunting, more vehicles, etc. It is what it is, but it’s extremely fun, I think.

The only lineage is the studio and name moniker, in my opinion. Since all of the Far Cry games have a different story, it makes sense that each can be its own thing, but I agree that they -should- build on the good things, not forget them over time.

Though surprisingly little of what its stablemates are doing. Even while it was revamping the combat and progression systems, AC:O made a bunch of under the hood improvements that Far Cry doesn’t seem to have learned anything from. The quest completion jankiness in 5 is completely absent from AC:O. Obviously it’s too soon for them to have incorporated anything from the final product, but it would be nice to think the studios share knowledge. Especially since Ubi has a programme to share assets between studios.

hence me writing

Note that I still love FC5 and Mafia 3. I just wish that in addition to cool stuff they have, they also had the stuff their predecessors had.

The stuff you list in later post is new features, which is a given with a sequel. But the attention to small detail is not quite there compared to FC2.

Yeah it is vanilla unmodified PC version. The game still looks beautiful.

I just got BOMBED by a passing plane. And now after a side mission I think I have access to one.

“They’re using artillery on us!”
“It’s not the police you idiot… It’s him.”

“Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring — except for the four assholes coming in the rear in standard two-by-two cover formation”

What mission was that, Guap?

Planes are my least favorite thing in the game.

They can spot you in a bush at night and hiding from them randomly doesn’t work. I was in a freaking mine and the plane was outside trying to strafe me.

Helicopters are fightable without an LMG, but planes almost require it or an RPG to deal with.

The .50 cal handles both quite well. It’s also one of the few guns able to shoot through objects with ease.

And then a new plane appears a couple of minutes later.

They’re even more annoying than the respawning outposts in FC2.

I hope John Walker is okay. He sounds a lot more scarred than some of us.

But it reminded me of just how different the story plot is given in Subnautica, where you are rarely interrupted and seek the story at your own pace, versus FC5, where it’s pushed on you the more fun you have. I mean, I even like some of the monologue that drives the story, but the method just plain sucks. Why on earth did they do that?

Okay, back to the fun. :)

Wait until you get captured and John Seed tatoos something on your “chest” …

Planes are the new cliffracer. They sure are fun to shoot down though.

Argh, I’m running the burning house gauntlet capture mission for the 5th time. Please, no more Desmond missions.

My spies told me about this mildly amusing video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th3G0KhYY-A

its a pc game right? hasnt anybody found an .ini to hack lower encounter spawn rates and made planes rare and/or blind?

So the “Wrath” mission where I am supposed to shoot John Seed moron

I get into plane, fly behind him, shoot at him, about 5 seconds pass and I explode.

I spawn on the ground somewhere randomly.

I have no way to take him down. I run back to runway and there is a new plane. I fly, again explode in 5 seconds.

I get spawned on the ground. Only this time, whenever I ride back to runway, the plane there explodes for no reason so I cannot get in.

I tried shooting the mounted gun at that ranch, but Seed flies 800 meters away and never comes closer, it is impossible to hit him.

I cannot buy a rocket launcher to take him down.

I cannot call Nick Rye for help because this mission started earlier than I did his.

Apparently I have no way to finish this mission, and thanks to how wonderfully the save system works in this game, I cannot do anything. I cannot reload, restart the mission, nothing. I can only…restart the whole game…

or uninstall it.

Am I missing something here?

Not sure. I luckily had Nick Rye as a companion. He did almost all the work for me. LOL.

There are a lot of posts on Reddit for John Seed and assistance on it. I’m sure there are the same on the Ubi forums. I’ve been avoiding them because I don’t have the mission yet, but it might be worth checking or asking there as well, Paul.

https://www.reddit.com/r/farcry/

Yeah this is the dog-fight mission I mentioned earlier up thread. It’s bullshit.
The random explosions, I’m convinced, is some rocket or weapon he has on his plane. Trying to shoot it out with machine guns just didn’t work. Plus as others mentioned, he can turn on a dime in air.
The way I “solved” the quest was to:

kamikaze into his plane. We both died, but mission success!
I respawned and ran to his corpse to get the key.