Far Cry 5 - Hope springs eternal

Congratulations, you have discovered the Ubisoft Formula.

But to be fair, FC4 has a minimap and you climbing lots of radio towers.

Yep. Lots of places that either can be reached by grappling hook, though sometimes you can get there in other ways as well. It’s done fairly well, except when you, um, fall through the world.

In 4 you could take the mini chopper and jump to the top of the tower :P

My advice is to play through this and enjoy it all the way until the end, then don’t do the final confrontation until you are ready to move on. If they ever patch the ability to skip cutscenes (and that dumb kill house) I’ll play it again.

I loved the gunplay in this, best in the series.

Yeah, for me, Far Cry games are generally all about the stuff that you do that isn’t wrapping up the inane story lines. Then again, I play a lot of games that way, ignoring the main quest line stuff as much as possible.

Meanwhile, Fortnite is racking up $100 million in revenue a month.

Wow, that’s a game by Epic, right? I don’t think they’ve had a hit since Gears of War.

To be fair, they’ve barely had any games since Gears of War either.

They jumped on the PUBG bandwagon mid development and hit paydirt.

I hope Tom writes a review for this. His articles on Far Cry 2 were great and accurately captured the beauty of that game. Someone was kind enough to link all of them in the comments section here.

Just some footage of me trying to do a mission (and failing, though I did it on second try)

It is a bit annoying when I want to jump down and instead start climbing the roof because it is automatic :p

The first part of that video made me really want to play the game. The part where you had a timer going and had to run around the mine trying to find the bad guys defusing the explosives made me not want to play the game.

In general, I hate any kind of timed missions.

Good news is that this is afaik the first mission with a timer like that that I can remember in some 15 hours of play.

Wait, you can get silencers for the guns? How?

I also found out, after I beat it, that you can throw melee weapons. You use the aim key.

Wait you mean you didn’t customize any of the guns?! Right click to customize in the shop window. You can buy silencers, scopes, and extended magazines. At least.

Nope, I iron sighted it the whole game, except for the sniper rifles that came with scopes. Figured they just eliminated those.

Iron sights are pretty good! I sniped with them, Simo Hayha style.

It’s not really a true timer mission, in that if the bad guys defuse a bomb, the clock doesn’t reset, it just pauses. That helps a lot.

Huh, I didn’t know that.

Anyway, I really enjoyed getting this stash, annoying as fuck eagles notwithstanding. Reminded me of good old wonderful Call of Juarez and its own Eagle Mountain climbing.

I’ve filled up the progress bar for my first boss - John Seed, but I haven’t finished quite a lot of quests and a couple of outposts in the region. If I go ahead with the confrontation mission with John, will anything autocomplete, fail or cancel?

First, you don’t have a choice. You’ll be taken automatically to the first part of the confrontation with John. Once you kill him and get his key, you don’t have to start the real last mission for the area, and can go around and do what you want.

There are some quests that disappear if you do that - if memory serves, there’s one where you have to take out three convoys in the area. That disappears. There’s one where you need to steal a couple of gas tankers and drive them back. That one also disappears. Liberating Falls End disappears as well if you didn’t do that one. Those are the only ones I know disappear. Most of them do stick around afterwards.