Far Cry 5 - Hope springs eternal

Thanks. I’ve liberated the region now. The convoys definitely persist, but I did the fuel tankers before the showdown. Everything else seems to still be there too. It’s much nicer exploring the pacified region, huge difference from the carnage as the resistance meter fills!

Really? The convoys definitely disappeared for me.

I feel so conflicted about this game. I loved the world they built, it’s one of the best I’ve ever seen. Always something fun to stumble upon. The gameplay is great. The guns for hire are great, it adds a lot to the game and they are all very unique and useful. I mean every single one of them has a different ability and use! Do you need air support for this mission? A good sniper? A steathy takedown stalker? A brute melee tank for a distraction? They have you covered. You can also hire and improve hundreds of ordinary citizens through out the game. Plus the best fishing game I’ve ever played. One time I was fishing off a boulder ledge and had to jump down to the bank while I was reeling in because I thought the line was gonna break pulling him straight up so I jumped down to ease the line and scoop him up. I’m a fisherman and let me tell you this have made me want to go to Montana and fly fish. Montana should pay Ubisoft for all the tourists that are gonna get into fly fishing because of this game. It’s that good.

Speaking of Montana, it looks beautiful. Ubisoft’s portrayal of Montana is one where people who want to start over come to start a new life. The woman who owns the marina where you can get a boat or a helicopter is one of the most colorful characters I’ve seen in a long time. In fact each character is really neat. The pilot you can hire has a mission (that I didn’t do, sadly) to drive his wife to the hospital so she can give birth! Ever seen that in a videogame? The game is chock full of missions like that. Ever heard of a praire oyster? They are pretty famous up there in real life. Well guess what, you get to go to a praire oyster festival. It’s an actual mission. And it’s fun!

The team that did this and integrated this world is to be commended. I salute them. Especially the team that did the AI for the sidekicks. Pathfinding, movement, the animations for various actions and animations, all great in this. It’s a AAAA game, I’d say standing up there with GTA V.

But there is a huge down side. The cutscenes are very long, unskippable, lead to crazy bullshit “shoot them in a maze and an enemy around every blind corner” boring gameplay.

This game has convinced me I’m just over the corridor shooters of the 90s. I suffered through a lot of corridor shooters I convinced myself I liked, bit the fact is that style of gameplay is played out. Maybe for multiplayer, but for single player I’m just done with it. I’d much rather have even a mission area you can’t go out of (like a lot of games use) than a corridor crawler.

The story is good. I don’t know how else to put it. The mo cap guy did just a fantastic job in this. He should be hired to be in real films, he’s great. In general the cutscenes fill out the world and motivate you to go after the Crackdown style bosses. But mab, they are violent, heavy handed, slow, and rely heavily on XCU shots (that’s the industry term for eXtreme Close Up shots where the character’s face takes up 90% or so of the screen) with eyes that are locked to the camera. It’s like 100% intensity all the time.

If they could let you skip these like a normal game, and maybe let you skip the cutscene extended quick time event, it would be a great game.

Unfortunately as is, you have to put up with what it is. It’s an interesting ride, I’ll say. I think the controversy for a hardcore gamer is not the headline ripping plot, but a more metaphysical gamer conundrum. Are you an open world person or a cooridor crawler person?

Incidentally I think AC:Origins has this same problem. The strongest parts were the open world and open world fighting, the worst parts were the big boss fights and scripted interactive cutscene events that went on too long.

But really, it’s a minor complaint. I feel like I got to go to Montana on vacation and hunt down religious zealots while I was there. A good vacation overall.

4/5

Nice analysis. I just defeated John Seed, and, well, the whole chain of set-piece scenes that led up to that was annoying more than anything else. Some interstitial type cutscenes you can skip, but not the ones your might really want to skip. And sometimes quests intersect with each other–in the middle of the mandatory air battle thing I ended up in a plane being directed to do an entirely different task.

But yeah, that open world is amazing.

One thing I really don’t quite get, though. I can’t really tell whether the prestige weapons are actually any better than regular versions. Stats seem identical, but are there any “soft” factors or are they just skins?

It sucks that Ubisoft’s Dunia engine hasn’t been able to handle dynamic weather since Far Cry 2. I’d really have liked this a lot more with some occasional rain.

The game scratches the same itch Skyrim did for me. Eliminating the HUD nonsense is great after I got to terms with having to use the big map.
The exploration and missions here are better than in previous games and the world is gorgeous, I am fairly sure it is my favourite FarCry since FC2.

Things I would like to see improved and added so that FarCry 6 could be my favourite shooter ever:

• keep all the good stuff from FC5
  • add the stuff that FC2 had (handheld map, weather, attention to small details, gun jamming - to enemies as well…)
  • voiced protagonist (think Shepard from Mass Effect)
  • nonlinear quests with more options to solve them (narratively and gameplay-wise)
  • interactive dialogue (Mass Effect)

Yes, basically I want them to make FPS/RPG full blown hybrid.

It even looks like Skyrim at times

Wow, that looks a lot better than Skyrim.

Something I have found playing FC4 after FC5 is that they removed the message about “clean pelt” when you kill animals with arrows. In FC4 you get a notification, but not in FC5. I knew about this only because in coop a guy told me.

Physics are a bit more gentle in FC4. Flyiing and driving easier. Landing from wingman less a risk to cross the ground and fly below the map.

(in FC4) I am walking around without knowing what to do, I must have miss the hints to continue the story somewhere. I also miss the FC5 companions.

The hovercraft in FC4 is fun!, they removed it. Taking camps in FC4 is harder… more risky, and doing it silently is harder (alarms are harder to find). I am more ammo limited than in FC5, so now I buy ammo in the outpost (something that is not really neccesary in FC5).

They removed the mechanic, as far I’m aware, not just the notification.

Then when you capture a safe house[in FC4], inside a safe house theres a old woman crying “the soldiers have taken my daughter for something horrible”. So you go to the place, and theres this 2 houses brothel for soldiers where they force young womens into prostitution. So you naturally want to rescue these ladies and kill the bad soldiers. Is more natural. In FC5 they kind of copied the quest, without the reasons you have to rescue people. The intentions in FC4 are lost, like lost in translation.

Another thing I have learned in FC4 is that the columns of smoke are enemy bases. They tell you this clearly in FC4, but I don’t remember the same line in FC5.

I buy ammo frequently. But then again, I use a .50 cal for sniping. You can restock somewhat by going around and looting every enemy, but things like AP rounds you manually need to buy. And by 4 stars in all regions, you’re going to need some AP stuff.

The buying of missiles to restock your aircraft is both a good move and a bad one. It stops the whole Just Cause 3-effect, in which you just end up killing half the map once you steal a good attack chopper. Now there is a cost, somewhat. But guns seem limitless and without cost, so all that add-in to fix missiles is for naught, you can just gun away anything you want. This is exacerbated in the mission where you fly an attack plane, as the missiles are non-guided, so you get the pop up to rebuy ammo and think it’s for your guns. It is not. It just seems like it was a half-baked idea that should have been fleshed out a little more.

I agree with all the Pros everyone has mentioned about this game. It is truly beautiful. I love the feeling of wandering around, hunting, fishing, and occasionally taking objectives and meeting new quest givers. The prepper caches are a huge win, like little loot puzzles spread all over the map. And I enjoy the gun play and fighting, a lot. The weapons are well done and the management of inventory is easily adapted to.

But then you play to the point when you’re marked/blessed, and a sense of dread comes over you because you know that bliss bullet or random takedown is coming soon. You have no real control when it does and you might end up in a dream sequence or one where you have mini-QTEs or as @Guap mentioned, corridor shooting or missions on rails. They give you this whole open game but lock it down just for the bosses/story. Where is the open world feel of being able to do things my way once a story bit hits you? It’s gone.

I also agree with Guap and others that this feels like two teams here within the design. And the team pushing the story design didn’t include enough overlap of the team that was open world design.

In Far Cry 5, I don’t see how enemy outposts are any sort of challenge once you buy a helicopter with guns. Just hover over the camp and blast away. In most cases, you can destroy the alarms before they ever get a chance to go off.

Even easier is to just have your NPCs do the kills. You get the reward for not being noticed, despite THEY may be noticed.

Also, if you really want to go on a killing spree, an attack chopper combined with the perk to repair vehicles while you are driving them = massive carnage with little drawback. It also saves you on the mission for John Seed.

Yup. Auto-repair + Nick Rye = John Seed defeated with little effort.

Sadly, Nick took a header very early on during that encounter and was worthless for helping me. I do like Nick for some of the missions though. It’s interesting as a combination with boomer or when I scope everything out before attacking so I have tracking for all of the enemies. If you have Nick target them he will tell you if he can’t see them, so you know they are in a building or under cover.

Ok, my favorite moment so far has to be driving that Widowmaker semi, with Heart’s “Barracuda” blaring on the radio, ramming through roadblocks in Smokey and the Bandit style automotive mayhem. Just needed Sheriff Buford T. Justice to add some local color.

I’ve not done that one! My favorite so far was meeting Hurk and driving with him for his mission intros and later hearing his commentary as I had other sidekicks along with him. I don’t know if the actor who voiced him was going for a Danny McBride kind of thing, but it comes across that way and I enjoyed it immensely.

Yeah, I thought Hurk would annoy me so I unlocked him last. Turns out he has some great banter.

Yeah in FC5 I think using arrows/melee on wildlife just gives you extra items. And using stuff like rocket launchers certainly does give you different items, like ruined hides and burnt meat.