Far Cry 5 - Hope springs eternal

The new Live Event started yesterday. It’s pretty simple. Spend 40 minutes in Far Cry Arcade. It can be done solo, PvP, or co-op. You can even just idle in a map like the Ubisoft one in which you walk through a nightmare house. Set it up and go play something else for 40 minutes.

The reward is a custom Vector SMG. I was wondering where that gun went. It was in Far Cry 4.

Is there nothing fun in Far Cry Arcade?

Hell yeah. I’m on that later this evening then.

Moved to the spoiler thread! Thanks!

I can’t tell if you are pro- or against John Walker.

I am very much pro John Walker. And yes he has mocked me in the past. But I like what he brings to games journalism even if I disagree with him often.

Like or dislike, his summation of the game’s story and ending are spot on.

Yup. I gripe about the ending quite a bit in the spoiler thread.

Wait there is a spoiler thread? I can move the link there, I cant seem to find the thread though?@spect cheers! Moved.

https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/far-cry-5-spoiler-thread/

I tried that and it didn’t count any of my time.

It worked for me last night. Maybe they updated something on their end? Sorry.

I ended up playing a bit and then it suddenly gave me credit for it. I played like a mission maybe 10 minutes and got my 40 from afking in a corner while I surfed the internet.

It’s Ubisoft, so it could be literally anything on their end fucking up, which is probably what happened.

Edit: Now I’m just annoyed I can’t customize it from being fucking hideous to look at.

Finished it and uninstalled. Enjoyed the gameplay for the most part, and the 51 hours I put in was a decent amount for the money. Not Skyrim levels, but better than the hour and a half I gave Far Cry 4 (which I’m re-downloading now to give a better try).

I made more comments in the spoiler thread, but leaving aside story/ending stuff, my biggest gripe is with stuff like the weapons, which for all their variety seem pretty meh. Other than achievements/challenges, I hardly bothered to change my loadout once I had it set, and the stuff you find in the game world is so bland there’s zero thrill of discovery that way. The unlocks seem to be rather generic, too, with some incremental but seemingly trivial stats differences. Unless the “Prestige” guns are somehow better than their stats (which are generally identical to the bought weapons), I don’t really see the point. I think half the game can be done with just a big sniper rifle like one of the .50 cals, and the other half with an LMG.

Loved flying choppers, sucked at planes, liked the driving. Loved some of the companions, particularly the animals (four-legged variety), but I spent too much time reviving them. They seem to get hit by cars, fall off of rocks, stray into cross-fires, and this is true of human companions too. The homeopathic crafted stuff was useless because of the interface. Unless I missed something (always possible) having to go into the wheel menu and hit E to get to the second screen to be able to select and use some funky herbal thing was simply not worth it.

OTOH, cruising down the road, popping dudes with a sawed-off ("Rolling down Hope County with a shotgun…) is great, the music is cool, the personalities in the game are interesting, and the world is drop-dead gorgeous, and tactically fun. Still, after finishing the story, I had little interest in going back to Hope County at this point. Maybe some other time, I’ll try it and do a full stealth approach, and ignore the fucking story.

Montana has a lot of crazy liberal (like me) environmentalists and a lotta nice balanced people. Just like the rest of crazy America. Plus scenery. And grizzlies for real.

Do the grizzlies, cougars, skunks, boars, and wolverines routinely cruise the back roads looking for people to eat? Because they sure do in this game!

Also, biggest damn skunks I’ve ever seen.

people keep saying the cut-scenes are unskippable…is this a console thing? They are definitely skippable with hitting escape.

You can skip most of them, but there are a few you can’t. IIRC, the whole opening bit is unskippable.

Yeah, there are a lot you can skip–I know I did–and some that, I guess because they are supposedly important, that you can’t. Really, though, once you’ve heard each of the dysfunctional twits give their psychobabble spiels, you really don’t need to listen to any more. Esc Esc Esc.

Why does Ubisoft STILL insist on stuffing their games with pointless collectible bullshit? This game is extreme, there is not one collectible, or two, but SIX (to my count) different collectibles, each with 10 or so pieces to find, then there are so many boring busywork quests “destroy X amount of Y”…

I appreciate that they did try to improve some things but all this stuff is so…I hate to say it…lazy.

“But it is optional!” busywork nonsense should not be in games regardless of its optionality.