Far Cry 5 - Hope springs eternal

Main game only then! Thanks @Jason_McMaster @Telefrog @scharmers

I’m an apologist for the sci-fi DLC and the Vietnam DLC. I think they’re both distinct types of experience with their own sense of style, pacing, progression, and risk. The sci-fi stuff even has its own cool traversal mechanics with the jet pack and how it interacts with the terrain and combat.

The zombie stuff, however, was junk. And I say that as someone with a very high threshold for zombie stuff that’s junk.

-Tom

I have hundreds of hours in FC3, FC4, and FCP.

FC5 is the worst FC ever. Even without the shitty plot and Bliss bullshit? Still worst FC ever.

Ooh, can I play Rank the Far Cries? Because for me, it’s Far Cry 2 is best, Far Cry 5 is second best, and frankly I couldn’t care less about any of the others. I’m pretty stoked for Far Cry 5: Apocalypse Montana.

-Tom

P.S. I keep forgetting Far Cry Primal is a Far Cry game, even though it’s right there in the title. But it turned out pretty good once it got a survival mode jammed into it.

Ghost Recon: Wildlands and Assassin’s Creed: Origins? Both better Far Cry’s than FC5.

Definitely this. Playing Wildlands with friends was 100 times more fun than anything I did alone in FC5. But I’m one of those who think the FC formula has become incredible stale.

But was that because you were playing with friends, or the game?

Both, I guess. There are tons of co-op games that are bad, but the Ubisoft formula didn’t feel as stale when I played Wildlands with friends.

My ranking would be Far Cry 2 (at the time, not sure it holds up as well today and I did try to play it a few months ago with less than stellar results), Far Cry 4 (loved it for some reason), Far Cry 5 (great environment and gunplay, arty and ambitious if horribly flawed ending, terrible story otherwise), Primal, Far Cry 1 (until the sci-fi stuff), and bringing up the rear Far Cry 3 (um, no redeeming features that I can remember).

I can’t understand this. Virtually every shooter has better “gunplay” than FC5. I picked up Titanfall 2 right after I finished FC5 and the gunplay in that blew me away. They felt so much better, more satisfying, with much better sounds. FC5 is flat, boring. The bow is also useless – a cardinal sin for FC.

I also don’t understand how you could rank FC4 first/second but FC3 last when they’re basically the same game.

Because the antagonist in 4 is funny and interesting, and the antagonist in 3 is flat, boring, and a silly caricature? At least, that’s how I see it. Also, the Himalayas > generic tropical islands ripped off from Far Cry 1.

The gunplay in FC 5 is fine, in my book, and I found it satisfying. I agree Titanfall 2 has great gunplay, but relative to the other Far Cry games, FC 5’s is at least as good as the best in that series IMO.

Far Cry 5’s story and entire conceit – all-out guerrilla war in fucking Montana, for chrissake – is a bunch of throwaway shite. However, the actual gameplay formula of roaming around Generic Mountain Wests/shooting bad guys in the face/Ubisoft iconfest wasn’t all that bad. In terms of shootiness, I’d put it somewhere between the Bethesda Fallouts (execrable) and Destiny 2.

I always find it funny that we compare the Far Cry 3-5 games as separate units, since they’re basically reskins of each other.

True, but those skins do make a difference. For me, 3 was awful and 4 was great, largely because the reskinning worked.

Ha. I thought 3 was good and 4 was dumb (except the voice acting was great).

Far Cry 5 was all about the co-op for me. Playing with my brother through the campaign was a blast. Being able to play the “main” game with the two of us together, rather than only some kind of special online option, made it completely worth playing.

I’m with JeffL. Loved playing with my kid coop…we are now playing off and on again on hardcore but somewhat burned out on it…really looking forward to the new one in February.

Think this is coming out on the same day as Metro Exodus.

Picked this up for $24 and after a few hours I’m really enjoying it. I haven’t played a shooter since. . .I’m not sure how long it’s been. . .and this game is gorgeous and so far a lot of fun.

John I did too. I wish I had vats atm because my aim sucks! But yeah this game is a lotta fun. And Boomer is a wicked cuddly dog!

It’s really great if you have a friend you can play co-op with.