Far Cry 5 - Hope springs eternal

I know the story is so completely over the top but it has be into the game. Creepy weirdo cultist ! Trying to destroy war memorials? I mean …. what the heck?

Bought it during the winter sale and just finished it. Great game and loved the experience. Even the story was good and I did not expect that ending to say the least. But i was forewarned. i wager if I had played it on release I would have had some harsh words to say about the cutscenes and the bliss bullet bullshit. But as I knew it was coming it made it a non issue.

I think that the Peggie Music was so good made me hate them even more. Damn fine music.

I know this was repeated over and over on release by many, but gosh I hate those torn-from-the-action cutscenes with the creepos talking about the cult etc. (John Seed etc) Some of them actually made me uncomfortable (though I imagine that was the purpose).

I am about halfway through and I just got “Peaches”. It is an amazing game, truly, almost more amazing (dare I say it?) than AC ody but with less personality with the protagonist. I love Bethesda open world games (not yet tried '76) but wow does this Ubisoft company know their open worldliness.

Imatarget you know you love the game music in a game when you are humming it AT the Target. Which I did today.

Peaches > Cheeseburger and Boomer

-Tom

Nick Rye > Everyone else

lol well, we shall see. I love Boomer’s super crazed ugliness. Cheese is a long ways off. But “Peaches”? – do cougars actually make those noises? Rowwwwrrrr! Those cats are scarey in this game.

The only problem with Peaches is all the “pussy” jokes from men, and all the crazy cat lady shit from women. I just ended up using peaches and boomer. If I was to use a human, it would have been nick rye. He was very useful in a bunch of situations.

Yeah I agree, the language and just general talk from anyone In this game … sheesh. I’ve been to Montana they are polite and nice overall. Guess that’s what we get when they make a game ….

You know I’ll respond to my point to bump his thread. How on earth could Ubisoft get this story (and story beats) so wrong? EVERYTIME (and I mean everytime) I was exploring something cool some dumb cut scene dragged me off to god knows where and then some really creepy guy would loom over me. Uggghhh I am not sure they have any women playtesting at Ubisoft. I was able to skip a lot of these dumb cutscenes.

I mean really. I finished it today after breakfast… story … well I can’t spoil but I bet if you figured out that these creepos are actually really creepy than you know: Ubisoft (Montreal?) is just creepy too. That’s the game designers I am saying. Just super creepy. So much of this game was fun …. no women playtesters I am thinking. Uncomfortable? Good grief.

Ah I see I looked up in the thread. Guess I was late to the party. heh … sry. Still at times it was super fun.

This is all I remember about the game. Not any of the fun I had or cool things that happened.
Just this stupid horseshit.

I didn’t even mind the creepy stuff, though I’m admittedly male. Their intent was to make it creepy, so I get what they were going for. For me, the creepiness didn’t work because I was too busy being pissed off that I’d gotten “abducted” by a sleep dart while in a helicopter 1000 feet above the ground doing 80 mph.

So when Captain Creepy starts saying shit I’m more in the mood of, “Go fuck yourself, you stupid video game character in a video game that’s supposed to be creepy.” If I’d been able to decide when those events happened, they might have had the desired effect, because I wouldn’t swearing in anger at the game for being so fucking stupid 5 seconds before that.

Edit: Being abducted is annoying for players as it is. Ask… any DM in the last 40+ years about it. But to do it over and over again and nothing can stop it? That’s a great way to piss people off and make them hate your game. Once can be acceptable in this kind of game. Anything past that is just stupidity and laziness of your writers. Nothing breaks immersion like stripping all agency from the player and giving them a cutscene they can’t do anything about. Whatever point you were trying to make is dead because they don’t care anymore and know they’re in a video game.

I started the game in the region where you’d get abducted, and then had to escape by shooting guards and running as fast as you can, within a timed mission. I HATED that. It took me forever to get past these, retry over retry. In fact, there were times I was really enjoying the open world part of the game and then would get the message that I was being abducted again, and I would simply pause the game and walk away.

Fortunately, after I finally finished that section, the abduction/cut scenes weren’t as bad as the first section (though I still resented them.) Overall I really enjoyed the game. I really enjoyed playing it co-op.

I think I argued, mostly seriously, upthread somewhere that in my opinion, the egregious offenses against player agency are, in fact, deliberate attempts on the part of the writers to make commentary on the whole question of player agency in these sorts of games. I still think that that is a viable explanation for what otherwise is simply horrible game design.

Or, yes, it could simply be terrible design. I’d rather think it was a very “meta” thought experiment gone awry though.

It could be, but it makes your game shit at the end of the day.

Nah, I think it is just bad game design. Like someone got assigned to build game modules to force you to interact with the main bad guys and decided to throw in some arcade like crap. Reminds me of a couple of crappy timed missions in I think Far Cry 3. There should be an international law that open world games cannot be sold with timed missions of any kind.

(empty for a sec)

(one sec)

I hear you, but I really think Ubi Montreal has more talent than that, and there is an underlying consistency and intentionality to what is going on that makes me think it’s an artistic experiment gone awry, rather than incompetence. They play so much like parodies of all the stuff gamers hate.

And yes, I’m probably reading way too much into this, but it certainly helps me accept what they’ve done more easily!

You know I think you may have the right of it TheWombat. It is some planners version of creativity. But could a playtester have figure this out?

Playtester: “hey guys this really sucks and ….”
Ubisoft: “This is art! shaddup!”
Playtester: “ok man but … hey can I take a break? cause this really sucks … well except for that panther named Cheetos…that’s cool”
Ubisoft: “See he likes the panther. Gold this game and get it in before Xmas”

Note how it’s drags you down in beats of three. Captured --escape/released and then … captured or whatever…

What a strange game.

And If I could figure out how to do spoilers in text I’d make a comment or two about the ending.

JeffL I hated that series too.

Yeah, sometimes I do wonder what the hell is going on behind the scenes of some of these games (Fallout '76, I’m looking at you!).