Far Cry 5 - Hope springs eternal

FC5 was a major reworking. No more minimap and the map isn’t cluttered with random collectables and events everywhere. Previous Far Crys had a ton of busywork, clearing the map like mowing your lawn. I found it to be a massive improvement.

Thanks for clearly vocalizing this point for me. Having a decent AR, then a silenced sniper rifle, and then a rocket launcher pretty much flattens out the progression curve for the rest of the game.

Yes, there are no upgrades, and you can get that stuff 4 hours into what’s probably a 20-30 hour game.

Again FC:New Dawn does fix this, just not in the way that I’d like.

I found that a suppressed and scoped LMG was essentially the “I Win” gun for all occasions. Too bad they fixed that loophole for New Dawn!

Yeah, the opening of New Dawn won’t win any awards for either quality or originality. It had me saying to myself, oh crap, not this again. But luckily, it goes away really quick and there is, so far at least, none of that again.

Right, they don’t force you out of the open world into a mission. It’s just basically an in-engine cinematic.

Far Cry writing isn’t wonderful, but Ubisoft really does care about execution, their voice actors are excellent.

Stick with it, focus on one family member at a time, thats what I did.

Overall it was decent enough that it made me want to play New Dawn asap. And I am loving my time in that game.

I also missed towers to climb, and the prepper stash areas were pretty decent but could have been harder.

I really see prepper stashes as an improvement in every way.

All the towers were one type of puzzle, while prepper stashes are tons of different types. Some of them involve climbing, some don’t. They’re a superset of the towers, and they’re much better rewarded to boot-- towers just uncovered part of the map, which you get for free in FC5, and prepper stashes give the most valuable reward in the entire game, perk points.

Are you playing New Dawn? They are even better in it from the few I’ve done so far.

Nope, still going through FC5. I suspect I’ll have had enough Far Cry by the time I finish it, will pick up ND when it hits fifteen bucks.

New Dawn feels rather different in some respects from a normal FC game. It’s got a lot of the same stuff, but feels, I dunno, less forced, maybe?

Maybe because you’re never forced to play a story mission game, at least once you start the main game proper?

Well, yes, this, but I’m thinking more broadly about the pacing and the whole base building, survive the wasteland Fallout-esque vibe I get. I mean, the Highwaymen are standard post-apoc baddies, the situation (build a refuge and defend it) is standard, and the general character progression is pretty standard, but because it’s standard it’s familiar and it’s a standard because it works pretty well for this type of game. It’s not too ambitious.

Revealing the map is a much better reward than getting points to increase the damage of a gun I don’t use. Also don’t think any of the prepper stashes gave me vertigo.

It’s true that perk points are much more valuable early in the game; perk value is wildly out of whack. Some perks like a second weapon are amazingly useful, while others are… you can hold your breath longer underwater.

There is a story mission where that does come in handy, tho. As well as one where causing more damage w/ your fists comes in handy.

I’m sure there is, same for fishing with Cheeseburger’s lunch. But having another weapon is always useful.

In New Dawn they combine swimming breath with sniper breath, so it’s a much more attractive pick. It’s upgradable too.

Yep, lots of incremental improvements in FC:ND.

Does ND have companions?