Far Cry 5 - Hope springs eternal

Yep, same sort of thing except the named companions also level up now as they get kills.

The freakin’ pig companion is boss.

Companions are also total bad ass now, its like someone learned to code the AI all of a sudden. But you are limited to 1 instead of 2 like in FC5.

Just got level 3 of the saw launcher, I am pretty sure it’s the most OP weapon ingame, I love it.

I love how companions leap into the back of your truck, or whatever seats are free, or step up to the mounted gun. Or like with the carriages in Syndicate, if they don’t fit and there’s another vehicle handy, they just grab that one. Even if its a helicopter :)

This is growing on me, now the cult’s been dispatched. It took me most of the game to grok that NPCs with little diamonds above their head tell me about stashes, and to get a sense of what those are like, and little exclamation marks lead to NPCs, who will have quests of various types. I avoided those little conversations at first because, well, they’re passive and boring. And you have to wait til the end of them. And they keep walking away from you :/

But now I’ve got the hang of that, it creates the organic motivations for cruising round Montana with intent to harm.

Grrr I may grab new dawn this weekend. LK and others? is it post apoc good? or is it far cry good?

God I don’t want to be staring at cutscenes with some semi-hairy chest fanatic tells me the world will end.

Few cutscenes after the initial intro, which might give you flashbacks to FC 5 somewhat; after that sort of on rails bit, the only cutscene stuff seems to be very short bits of dialog after significant events or outpost liberations. I really do think this is one of the best Far Cry experiences, and it holds up well in terms of general post-apoc stuff, as long as you don’t expect STALKER level atmosphere.

Has many hummingbirds. +

I’m at completion 20%, and I’ve been having a blast. More so than FC5:Cutscene Edition.

After nearly finishing New Dawn I’ve jumped back to FC5, because that makes no sense whatsoever. But here I am. Playing with the Redemption mod (lowers the amount of resistance points you earn over time so you can finish quests in an area before engaging story.)

And I forgot the 30 minute unskippable intro. And the random unskippable captures, Faith chats, etc. I swear they went especially heavy handed in the on-rails, lose control of your character and forced to listen experience. And yet, the wide open world of FC5 is amazing. The random pop-up battles that build on themselves is also amazing.

Here’s hoping the next go round is a huge explorable world like FC5 but with more of the hands-off-of-the-player aspect of New Dawn.

Is New Dawn much smaller than the main game?

It feels smaller. I couldn’t really wager to say how much, if any, but FC5 takes quite a long time to cross from one side to the other.

New Dawn is a very well tuned experience though, in just about every aspect they did in it. FC5 was a big leap forward, but I feel like New Dawn dialed it in much tighter and it worked really well.

New Dawn essentially takes place in most of John Seed’s area, and maybe some of Jacob’s (Hope Valley and Whitetail Mountains).

New Dawn plays like a compilation album of FC5’s hits. Perfect length and focus. And if you want more of the core FC5 gameplay, you can always retake control points.

New Dawn uses most of John’s area, about 1/2 of Faith’s, and just a little bit of Jacob’s. And uses both Dutch’s and Joseph’s islands.

Finally got through this one and I have to confess that after the fun I had with 3 and 4, 5 was kind of a let down. It started pretty strong for me but really lost steam and I found the endings so contrived. I guess it was for for a while but it was definitely the first Far Cry that I felt how disposable the activities were, in a sense, about half way through the game.

I started playing this and after a couple hours I was thinking this is getting boring fast. But then, I don’t know, the missions started getting better? I tend to ignore the random fights that one can encounter because they are super repetitive but most of the story missions are entertaining.

It seems like the enemy AI seems dumber than I remember in prior Far Cry games. They run around and sometimes pause and just let you shoot them. They can be tough when a group swarms me though.

Constantly getting strafed by planes is also annoying, but I am close to maxing out my resistance points with the guy who loves ‘Yes’. I want to get an area taken over.

I’d suggest do the prepper stashes, and a mission or two, blow up lots of stuff. Avoid the over abundance of ubi-crap, lots of locations aren’t important, it will drain the fun from your body.

Not my favorite FC , but it was good enough to finish.

I thought Rage 2 was the game this wanted to be.

CUE STUSSER.

Do I have a rep with Rage or something?

Anyway, FC5 and FC:ND are much more evolved open-world games. Rage doesn’t compare well with FC3, and Ubisoft has come a long way since then.

I enjoyed the prepper stashes a lot, and I liked that I could get perk points to upgrade without having to hunt and craft. I don’t know what the answer is, but I really don’t like how these games take control away from me. I’m wrecking shit left and right and suddenly the story requires me to lose control in ways that make no sense with the worst offender being how the whole thing ends. I dug how talking would open up new missions and such, and I wish I had played on a much higher difficulty level because once you get a silenced sniper rifle/assault rife/pistol, things get really easy in some ways.

I was just thinking this. Many places I can just walk through and pick people off. It can get more difficult if I get seen or where there are a lot of people and it’s hard to go through and kill everyone without being seen, but there are a lot of easy places too.

Edit: I just finished freeing the region with the ‘yes’ guy. The very end of that was a bit hectic and difficult.

Flying the plane was pretty fun on the story missions that required it.