Far Cry 5 Spoiler Thread

So, don’t read this thread if you don’t want spoilers.

I chose resist.

What the hell was that? That ending.

Iove that Cheeseburger has a collar with cheeseburgers on it. Also her swim animation is cute.

I was just watching bits and pieces of the game as you were streaming, but the ending reminded me of Planet of the Apes. It turns out that Dr. Zaius was right about humanity all along.

Was walking away a real choice, or would you just get railroaded back into the same ending?

So mad! So Angry! Just the worst ending ever. I thought I missed something, and there was different endings like in other games. A good ending and a bad ending, and I ended up with the bad one.

I don’t know if I dislike the ending, but it was certainly not what I expected

I’m not going to go into all the reasons for it again - we have a whole thread for that somewhere - but I always thought Mass Effect 3 had the single worst ending for a video game. Lot of disappointment and WTF moments and all that. But it never really made me angry.

The ending for Far Cry 5 is now far and away the worst video game ending of all time, and it managed to make me angry as well. Reasons:

1. They’ve nuked their game world. Literally. I mean, it seems clear their DLC will somehow tie into the comic books you collect in the game, but Far Cry 6? They kind of screwed themselves unless they want to go the ‘Fallout’ route, and we already have Fallout. It was one thing when you could interpret the ending as Joseph setting off some Nukes as he was backed into a corner, but when the Ubisoft reps came out and corrected some stories written about the ending and said, basically, ‘Nope - it’s WW3’ - I mean, unless they want to go ahead and end the series, they’re kind of screwed.

2. It was all for nothing. No matter what you do, Joseph Seed lives. Oh, his kids don’t. But he does. In no other game I can think of does the main antagonist get to live. Even if you hear out Pagan Min in FC4, as he flies away in his helicopter, there’s a conveniently placed RPG on the deck you can use to kill him. Here - not even slightly possible. So all that work you did throughout the game? Pointless.

3. This is what pisses me off, tho. I consider myself a Christian in the sense that I believe in God, but I’m not a religious person, because I’m a) not a fan of organized religion, and 2) haven’t hit upon a religion yet that matches my own feelings on what God is about. And this game basically says Joseph was right all along. He’s a prophet, and God is totally down with all the stealing, and the kidnapping, and the drug-induced brainwashing, and the torture, and the killing, and the maiming, and all the other evil crap Joseph and his group inflict on the innocent civilians. I know it’s a video game, but it still pisses me off.

The rest of the game is fun in spite of that, but I pretty much will forever and ever stop playing before I get to the epilogue. I doubt someone can ‘happy ending’ up a mod like they did for Mass Effect 3.

Oh man, now I kinda want to play Far Cry 5.

I don’t mind the ending. (Theres even some very well hidden radio messages where we learn Trump has declared war to Korean, and other mistakes where accelerating the path to a nuclear war).

I am not game designer but I don’t think was a smart idea to use reviving as a important game mechanic on the ending.

Reviving is a clumsy action, the game forced dumb and slow animation, theres no joy to deride from reviving npc’s. Generally people have fun shooting, jumping and running around, maybe breaking stuff. Maybe if reviving where something smooth, like a pat in the back, or throwing a “revive grenade” or something dynamic.

I can’t talk about the subtext of making the sect leader “right”. The whole game foundations is crazy shit that just happens and you can’t just take seriusly, so you can’t take seriusly this thing. It just happens.

I liked the game.

Theres 2 endings.

Normal one is nuclear hellfire. You end stuck with the sect leader for a few months.
If you walk away, you flee with your friends, but the radio is broadcasting the “kill everyone” song so I guess you kill your friends and crash the vehicle.

Ubisoft have confirmed that the nuclear explosions are real and not mind programming.

Bass on the walls, sing.

I walked away. It was unsatisfying.

In Far Cry 4, there’s a similar choice in the end. If you choose to spare Pagan Min, he leaves the country and the player becomes the rightful ruler of Kyrat. That was cool, even if The Golden Path turned out to be shit no matter what you do.

Here, the walk out ending is just abrupt and dumb and implies everyone is dying anyway.

I choose to think the whole nuke thing is just a Bliss freak out.

Is the ending worth it? Cause this last battle is some poorly designed bullshit. Again.

Ok, decent ending. Neat twist, I liked it. So now it’s just you and this maniac in a bunker, huh?

I still can’t get over the terribleness of the ending of this game. The fact that there’s no way to put a bullet in Joseph’s head - something the Sherriff even suggests after Faith is gone - is just beyond dumb. Even if they want to keep the ‘non-happy’ ending they seem to like, have that lead to the ending where you kill all the other guys in the car. IE - you kill him, you drive away, ‘Only You’ comes on, screen goes red, etc. You don’t kill him, you get the apocalyptic ending (which I still think is a terrible choice by Ubisoft - see above for why). But at least there’s an ending that lets you kill the antagonist. Now, it all feels like a wasted effort - in spite of the fact that up until you start that last mission, the game is amazingly fun to play. I will certainly play it again, and will play the DLC - but I’ll never go past clearing all three areas, because the ending makes the Mass Effect 3 ending look good by comparison.

Another idea that would have made it a little less terrible. Have the apocalyptic ending exactly the same as it is, except that they don’t bring Joseph with them. They leave him there at the church to presumably die. Everything else plays out the same (those poor local police folk are just fucked whatever happens, its seems), and just like at the beginning, Dutch brings you into the bunker. Again, you are handcuffed to the bed, but this time, it’s Dutch talking to you about his own ideas to rebuild the world, etc. That would have been better (although I still would be pissed about what Ubisoft seems to imply about God at least in this fictional world as stated above).

Man, I always wanted the best “good” ending. I’ll safely skip this game then.

Spoilers, spoilers :)

A comment pointed out that the lead writer of FC5’s last work was as lead writer of Burial at Sea and as a writer on Bioshock Infinite. So not doing too hot on the good story front, though obviously team effort, yada yada.

Still annoyed that Burial at Sea made the story of both Infinite and the original Bioshock’s worse.

Yeah that was another one that undid the effort of vanilla Bioshock Infinite’s resolution for me. Ugh.

Ok, finished it, both endings.

I am going to take the somewhat heretical approach here and say I found the ending oddly satisfying. Here’s why, for me at least:

1. Throughout the game there is the nagging thought that, um, why the hell aren’t the Feds in there like flies on shit? I watched Waco on TV. The suggestion that, while you were fighting the cult, the country was on a fast slide to Armageddon helps explain why no one gave a shit about what was going on in East Bumblefuck, Montana.

2. People are always bitching that games just do black/white, 0/1, good/evil stuff. Here, you get IMO genuine (if ham-handed) ambiguity. Why is it ambiguous? First, I disagree that the game is saying God endorses Joseph’s actions. If anything, the game is saying God is dead; it’s an atheist critique, not a Christian one. Second, if you take a step back and look at your (the player’s) actions over the course of the game, you have tried to solve all problems with usually extreme violence. The game shows everyone involved on either side as pretty much reveling in and glorifying death and destruction. So, it’s rather fitting that in the end you face your doppelganger in “the Father,” who really is in some way your progenitor. 3) No matter which choice you make, you find out that your past actions and your blithe acceptance of the path laid out for you has predetermined your fate. That’s all too much like real life for most games, but it is fitting I think, in the same way a Bergman film is satisfying, if dreadfully depressing. And no, this isn’t another Virgin Spring or Seventh Seal, by any means.

3. To me, there’s no coming back from what has happened over the course of the game. The sheer amount of violence, destruction, torture, depravity, mind-fucking, contamination of water and other aspects of the environment, erosion of social bonds, etc. has made Hope County, well, hopeless. Any happy ending would, to me, but a cop out. This is positively Lovecraftian in the sense that there is, really, no way out. And just as in Lovecraft’s stories, it works, because the alternative undercuts the very foundation of the narrative.

Now, that being said, Teiman is right, the “revive” bullshit blows, as does the scripted delay in opening bunker doors. Hell, all of the bunker rail shooter things are terrible. And much of the dialog veers between horrid and somewhat acceptable, though the voice acting is often superb. And, yes, it is terribly unsatisfying on one level not to be able to bust a cap in Joseph’s ass. But think about it…foreshadowing much? Did you get to kill Jacob, or John, or Faith? Nope. You are never able to actually exact the sort of Death Wish/Dirty Harry vengeance you want to (The Cook doesn’t count as he’s someone else’s bugaboo, not yours). If you haven’t figure out by the end that you are not going to kill Joseph, you haven’t been paying attention.

The only thing I don’t like, really, about the ending is that there is no way to sandbox the world after you beat the game. You pretty much have to start a new one and just not ever go to meet Joseph I guess. That kind of sucks. But the ending itself, I fully understand and respect other opinions on this, but I actually found it one of the most satisfying and artistic endings that I have seen in a long time.

Then again, I’m a pointy-headed intellectual who routinely hangs out with colleagues who talk about stuff like semiotics, the patriarchal gaze, and cis-gendered routinely and unironically, so I’m probably tainted.

I disagree about ‘God being dead’, but everyone will take what they will from it. But I will say this - I don’t think a ‘good’ or ‘happy’ ending is needed. Like I said, if there had been an option to put a bullet in Joseph’s head, and that led to the ‘Only You’ ending, that’s better. Or if you leave him to die in nuclear fire in the ‘Armageddon’ ending, but Dutch turns out to be not the nice guy you thought. Either of those is better.

Also, you do kill all three siblings. It’s not an instant kill, but your gunshots do eventually kill them, after they hang on for a few extra seconds, and give you a speech.

Also, also - my game did continue after the end of the game (which story-wise was/is odd) - it went back to the world state just before the last mission, only w/o the last mission to play anymore. I went back to the 8-bit pizza place, and all the guns for hire were hanging out there (well, I didn’t notice if all were there, but a large number of them were). Which again - makes no sense. But it does allow you to finish up any missions you had left.