Far Cry 6 - Giancarlo Esposito and guns, guns, guns

When you play the game through Ubisofts…eh Uplay I guess its called, and get the full, deluxe version, you get level 4 clothes that are based off of Blood Dragon. They are pretty cool ,but kinda invalidates anything in the game, since, why would I ever want to wear anything other than the best clothes…And use the best weapons? And I got these right out of the game - really weird!

Overall, the gear progression is about on par I think with earlier FCs. I found the available mods sort of meh, and once I had my assortment of boomsticks kitted out pretty much forgot about the workbench. I guess you could focus on making guns for specific builds, but the game simply isn’t that hard; it doesn’t really require any special min/maxing. And some off the cool sounding stuff, like poison and fire, doesn’t really work as well in practice as simply splatting people with good old fashioned bullets. Ditto for stealth beyond using a silenced rifle. No need to kit up with all stealth gear and use knives or whatever when a silenced M14 works wonders.

The Bandidos things were kind of interesting at first, the missions you control indirectly by sending your recruits out with leaders you’ve acquired to mess up the bad guys. Sort off a choose your own adventure thing where each mission has several steps and you have three choices of approach, with different costs and rewards, etc. After a while though, when you have all the weapons and stuff, all you really are getting from them is either cash (not very useful) or resources (likewise).

Ubisoft does this all the time. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla came with gear based on Odyssey if you preordered that shortcut the gear system. You just have to steel yourself and ignore that stuff if you want progression to mean anything.

It really threw off my Far Cry 5 game when I started using some laser rifle from the DLC, then proceeded to melt enemy bases. I ended up restarting.

The one time I use exotic ammo in FC6 is fire ammo on the poison guys, They literally explode; it never gets old!

I’ll say this about the ending - it didn’t make me want to not replay the game. I still replayed FC5, but I still hate the ending. And given that this game takes place in 2021, and there hasn’t seemed to be a world-ending war - still not sure how that all fits into the Far Cry universe narrative. New Dawn also had a decent ending as far as Far Cry’s go.

The insurgent thing is interesting. Not sure why they can only provide one once a week, tho.

The devs said all the Far Crys take place in separate universes, somehow, even though there are cross-references everywhere. The dog amigo comes with a note from Hurk in Montana. They basically just don’t give a shit about continuity.

Basically. Same thing with references to Assassin’s Creed stuff in the Watch Dogs games. It’s just goofy fan service.

I’m fine with the goofy fan service stuff. It is preferable to what would no doubt be awkward and constraining attempts to truly unify these wacky plotlines into something more or less coherent.

An open question for me is whether Ubisoft will be able to exploit the new generation hardware at all. Do they actually have the ability to do more than tweak stuff these days. Not that new gameplay and new technology need to go hand in hand, but I am wondering what Far Cry 7 (!) will be like.

Sure, why not? They added RT reflections and shadows to FC6, just in a particularly poor implementation. Watch Dogs Legion supported everything too and looked great, as it was sponsored by Nvidia and not AMD.

It sounds like we’ll get Far Cry Online instead. Remember we might be coming to the end of this phase of Ubisoft open world development as they switch their focus to something more driven by engagement and stuff.

Oh god. I’d forgotten that. Maybe it’ll be awesome.

As much as I loathe the idea of going from single-player focused open world games to online service-style games, I can understand the lure for publishers. It costs a ton of money to develop something like FC 6 (I sat through the entire list of credits, accelerated of course, and it still took like ten or fifteen minutes!) and they sell it once for $60, or get people to pony up a month or two of their Ubi service for $15-30, and that’s pretty much it. I doubt the paid DLC for these things is bringing in big bucks, but even counting that in I’m guessing the calculations don’t look grand from the perspective of the accountants. On the other hand, take the same game, chop it up into say five parts, and sell each part for $30 as “world expansions” or whatever, while simultaneously getting more traction with people to sell cosmetic things because now you have an audience to see your platinum-coated pickup truck or whatever. I’m guessing that’s what they are hoping for.

AC Unity was their last big next gen hurrah that presented giant leap in fidelity/scope compared to previous game. And its launch was sort of disastrous.

7 years later they still have yet to release a game that looks better.

I get the thought process when a company looks at other companies raking in the cash from online games, but I wonder how many people out there are like me: I loved, loved, loved RDR2, but it only took a short time in RDO for me to remember why I don’t like online games. Tons of kids who live to be jackasses and griefers. No more RDO for me. I loved Division 2 and played the heck out of it, both single player and coop with my brother, but once I tried the PvP parts I quickly said no thanks.

I wouldn’t be interested in an online multiplayer game. But I realize I may be in the minority. I will just say they don’t have a lot of competition in single player open world games, even less with coop play thrown in.

Question because I’ve never tried it, but do the FC games give you the option of using the audio with a different language than the one the OS uses, like the AC games do? Because if that’s the case, I’m going to try that when I buy this on sale whenever. Of course, I hope it gives an option for at least “Latin American Spanish” (too much to hope they’d have Cuban or even Caribbean Spanish) vs. Peninsular because the latter would sound comical in the context.

Thanks! I should switch spoken language to French, German, or Japanese for a really jarring experience, heh. But it’s cool that I can play it in Spanish, although I was watching one stream played in Spanish on Twitch (by a Spanish streamer) where it was clear that someone along the chain had translated an idiom from English literally (I wish I could remember now what it was, but oh well).

True, though they’ve done bigger if not necessarily better. And we know they’ll be able to bump up polygon counts, textures and draw distances without any effort. I’m wondering how the extra CPU cycles will be used, along with better storage.

I started playing AC Unity recently and the crowd sizes are amazing, as are the interiors of places like the Nôtre Dame Cathedral.