Far Cry 6 - Giancarlo Esposito and guns, guns, guns

The plain-Jane M79 also works against tanks, though it might take a couple of hits.

All little issues aside, the game is pretty darn fun, as long as you know and like what you are in for. It’s ludicrous, stupid, goofy, violent, and colorful for sure.

The LMG with explosive rounds will work on tanks too, but it comes down to efficiency and speed, and that resolver fireworks thingie is the way to go.

Some thoughts after playing co-op for the first time (PS4):

• the game had a lot of trouble deciding which gender we were. We both played the female Dani, yet to my mate, I looked like the male Dani, while still sounding like the female version (on his screen, on mine I sounded female). Fixed itself after a few minutes.
  • during the first quest, the guy we were following to some tower literally repeated himself every time, as if he was talking to me first and to my mate, who was running behind me later. This suggests the game is tracking the quest for both of us, which should be a good thing. Again: fixed itself after a few minutes.
  • Tanks are a lot of fun, almost too much … What would stop us from simply driving a tank around and blasting everything? I’m sure something will present itself, but on the starter Island, tanks felt way overpowered…
  • the shooting is fun, but also very chaotic (especially the farm we had to burn, and the ships we had to clear). Or am I just getting old?

Anyway, it looked like we both got the gear and rewards, regardless of who was hosting. Now to see if all that persisted overnight into the next session this evening…

Lastly: does anyone know if there are Clutch Nixons (or something equivalent) in the game? And when do we get to the flying? Asking for a friend…

The Resolver weapons are just so goofy…I find it hard to use them. Which is silly, given that the entire game is a goof-fest!

A question about missions for anyone who has gotten substantially in to the game, say around level 7-8 ish: I got a phone message from Clara telling me to go to the capital zone to help assassinate El Jefe at some speech or whatever. I’m in the midst of the mission right now, planting bombs or something, but I can’t help but wonder what is up. I’ve not even finished clearing out the first zone you go to, with the Monteros, and haven’t touched the other zones really. There must be something going on other than “boom, you killed the bad guy, the game is over,” right?

Your logic is impeccable, yes.

First time for everything I guess! Usually, the comments are more like “WTF dude, are you down to your last brain cell?”. But yeah, I figured something had to be up.

The ending of this pissed me off. Not only did they waste a great opportunity with Esposito but the whole game is basically a “putting the band back together” affair. Then when you get the band back together, the last 2 missions have several potentially huge things happen in the story that are rushed and mashed into place and all happen in such a rapid fire delivery that they impact you 0.00%. It made no sense to me that they would wrap this in such a fashion. It felt a little like GoT’s wrap up; rushed and diminished.

Also, I played the whole game with sneaky sneakers and suppressors and the ending is all run & gun, which I was ill equipped for. I suppose I should have expected that, but ah well. Done. Playing this makes me want to go back and finish Control. @tomchick mentioned it earlier and I never finished it and it was a better experience. I am glad this was on Ubipass because I would have been upset with myself had I dropped 60 bucks on the title.

Started it today, still on the first island, but unlocked co-op and lit a bunch of tobacco plants on fire. Very fun. While I miss changing ammo types on the fly, being able to switch WEAPONS on the fly I think will make up for it. Also like auto-looting now, and the game is as generous as ever with instanced loot, which is nice. This is gonna be a lot of fun I think.

It’s a blast, until you get into the open-world exhaustion and succumb to ennui, but all open-world games have that problem.

We do it in two-hour blocks for our stream, so maybe that limit we’ve put on ourselves helps us get through it. We got through 5 and New Dawn the same way.

Can’t hurt. I played 30+ hours already and it’s starting to hit me. The dopamine rush when you clear an outpost weakens after you’ve done 2 dozen and popped thousands of heads.

Taking the two ships in coop was actually a lot of fun. We felt like Seal Team 0, LOL! Working together, communicating, teaming up to take out the bad guys, just a great coop time. Not sure where our band of rag tags got the airpower support though, we barely had a raft.

The higher tier bad guys love them some RPGs, for sure. And if you are fighting a dynamic battle, as opposed to a set-piece affair you initiated after scouting and tagging, it can be hard to actually tell where the bad guys are; luckily Boomer, er, Boom Boom has a tagging talent.

So like ME2 then?

They really wanted to nerf the whole sneaky silent kill cheese a bit, what with the crappy “three shots and it’s on fire” suppressor deterioration. OTOH, the auto-target throwing knives (with the right gear) are nice for silent headshot kills up close.

For me, though, poking around at level 8 or whatever maybe mid way through, the SVD has been the best thing I’ve found. Very good sniper rifle, better than the only “unique” one I have for sure.

I didn’t even realize until a while ago though that the bad guys do not drop any guns. Every weapon is either a purchase, or found in crates or as rewards for Bandidos ops or whatever. No drops per se. Not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, it means a lot less frantic looting of stuff for little gain. OTOH, I always like finding the weapon on the bad guy that the bad guy was using on me.

I think officers can drop guns, but it’s pretty rare. They do drop the high-end crafting materials.

Progression is pretty stunted, I’m halfway through the second area and everything is rank 4. As far as I can tell that’s the best equipment in the game.

Yeah, nothing higher than that that I can see. Then again, the stuff that is available is pretty effective. Not sure what you would do to make things progress to higher levels or whatever. But the net effect is that halfway through the game the lure of new shinies sort of peters out for sure.

Just give higher level enemies more health and damage, and higher level equipment more armor and damage dealt?

Better than stopping progression entirely hallway through.

I have a feeling the progression in this game wasn’t very well thought out.

-Tom

But is there enough ubistuff to do? :)