Far Cry 6 - Giancarlo Esposito and guns, guns, guns

I would never even consider replaying 5 due to the kidnap missions. I hated them, a lot.

Really I hate everything about FC other than popping heads at 1000 feet and taking over outposts. Luckily there’s a lot of that.

The kidnap missions are a bit infuriating, but mostly because one, they take me out of the moment, and two, some of them lead to on-the-rails type situations that might as well be QTEs. I can live with them though in exchange for the rest of the game.

I liked them. You get to experience what it’s like to an NPC when the player turns up and they get jerked into their plot-stuff-performance. After the player’s gone they’re all like, man I hate that, I was trying to scramble some eggs…

I will say that admire Far Cry 5 for having a crazy-ass plot and committing wholly to the conclusion they hinted at all along. Wacky.

I always thought, and still think, that that game was an attempt to turn the genre on its end a bit and explore some interesting themes about violence, agency, and consequences. Did it work? Somewhat, certainly not entirely, but man, it was at least interesting.

I think my perfect twosome would be Just Cause 3 and Sniper Elite 4. Both were the combination of things I long for one day in a SINGLE game, but sadly don’t think it will ever be the FC series.

One thing I do give to FC is the hunting/fishing and collections aspect. They do nail that and I enjoy the ongoing hunt for some of those things.

Wildlands?

I should retry it. I got about 2-3 hours in and something else grabbed my attention and I wandered away from it and never went back. :(

Yeah, sorta. They whiffed it by going, “Oh, that ending? Nah. Go have fun in Montana now!” for the epilogue.

True, but they kinda had to let you do that, NG+ and all. At least New Dawn worked with the ending ok I think.

Final season pass DLC out now.

I watched a bit of Eurogamer’s playthrough, it was the most visually stunning of the three, hehe, but seemed pretty boring. Same exact structure of course but there isn’t that much backstory that wasn’t already explored in New Dawn.

I’ve been playing this in co-op with a buddy for a while now, and we both have a busy life so we go really slow (maybe 1 /1,5 hours a week on average), so we are not even close to finishing the storyline. We are lvl 11 now, we don’t have the best weapons or gear (because we haven’t really looked for those) and neither of us is an expert FPS player. Despite that, with the incidental exception, we are basically steamrolling everything at this point. This makes the game rather boring, so: is there any way to change this, make the game more difficult? Or is this just what it is, and is the game simply too easy beyond a certain level? I fear that may be the case, because the races are also way too easy compared to the Clutch Nixons in 5, but maybe I’m missing something?

I had the same issue with my buddy in co-op. Only the highest tier areas were where we got significant pushback, usually in the form of multiple choppers or armored vehicles full of special forces. Even then, the real issue is the strength of the rocket supremo. Take that away from use for both of you and things get a lot more intense. We had a few times when one of us would kamikaze in and supremo, followed 30 seconds later by the other one of us doing the same and boom … side-mission done. It’s way too overpowered.

There were a few missions where things would go sideways but generally those were in close-quarters battle settings. Another limitation we gave ourselves was not using an attack chopper to soften areas up.

You might also want to try the co-op challenges, at least for us those ticked up the difficulty a bit.

Yeah, we already refrain from using the rocket supremo except maybe when facing a tank. But even then, usually no tactics are required: just run in and shoot everything, including the reinforcements. I guess it is what it is…
The challenges are indeed fun and challenging, we did all of those on the base lvl and can always try a harder lvl if we want a challenge, that is true. But staying out of the sun can become a bit annoying after a while.

Agreed. It should honestly amp up the difficulty a bit when in co-op. I think it does somewhat, but not quite enough at higher level.

My buddy and I just took it as an excuse to drink a beer and chat about other stuff while playing.

Stranger Things crossover will be DLC, and part of Season Pass. And Far Cry 6 getting a free weekend starting tomorrow. And it will be on sale on all platforms this weekend too.

Edit:

In that teaser they say it’s just one mission? Phooey. I was hoping it was a whole campaign.

Interestingly, the patch they released this week adds some features that people wanted - namely ammo switching on the fly via weapon wheel, the ability to create and switch between loadouts, and also an outpost reset feature.

Hey, nice! I like to hear that. I still haven’t forced myself to finish the game. I should jump back in.

Good Lord. This would’ve greatly enhanced my play time.