Far Cry: New Dawn - It's Far Cry 5.5

The first was a little lacking in character for me - the main character, the city, and the missions. It is a decent game mechanically though.

I preferred Watchdogs 2 as well. It has more interesting characters, more to do, and a bigger city. Never finished it though… I should go back at some point!

I have 'em both, never played them. Got them on some weird sale I think for a pittance. Have to check them out. Should I start with the first, or dive into the second? If I like the second, would the first feel crappy? Or is this a case of YMMV?

I’m playing the second having just played the first. I think the differences come down to tone - the first tries to be serious, the second jokey and hip. The game systems are more similar than different.

So are you an angry sociopath or more of a skateboard revolutionary?

Can I be an angry revolutionary or a sociopathic skateboarder?

Nope.

WD1 is noirish, almost cyberpunkish. With better graphics, physics and gameplay in general.

WD2 has slightly better missions, and is sunny and hipster.

Personally I much preferred the first. It might be my favourite Ubi AAA game of the generation.

Paul and I played very different looking Watch Dogs by the way. I played it on the PS4, and he played some super-modded amazing looking PC version that looked incredible. And graphics are pretty important, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. The PS4 version looked like shit.

I enjoyed the first enough to finish it, but the second WD got real weird in the middle, and I haven’ gone back. I recall attending some kind of beach party / festival last time I played.

Even more importantly, 60fps versus 30…makes big difference in playability. I suspect you wouldn’t hate driving and such quite as much if you played the version I played.

Well, the first one it is, and on the PC of course, as, um, that’s all I got.

To provide bit of hype

download link for the mod if you want it is in the description of the vids

Cool, I’ll give it a try. Thanks.

I fired up Watch Dogs, the first one. Some of the basic framework of the game is pretty cool. It seems a bit too much like GTA, which I was not a fan of, but has enough of its own thing to make it different. I am not a fan of the perspective or feel of the 3rd person view. The one in say The Division games is much less floaty and more responsive. Driving is, eh, like driving with a M+K always is, not terrible, not great. The story is damn dark and yes, Aiden is an asshole.

I switch to gamepad for the driving bits only. Makes them a lot nicer.

I have an old Xbox for PC controller I guess I could use, I suppose. Not sure I want to invest the time in this yet though.

That is very pretty. Thanks for the heads up!

Nice. Two more music artists for me to explore.

I wish the Chicago on the PS4 had looked that good.

I actually really loved everything about the camera in WD, and interface. And both those things got worse in WD2 (camera was much more zoomed out from my character and UI was all pastel colors and shit)
I did play both games with Xbone controller though, as I do with nearly everything these days.

Oh, yeah, my tolerance for different third-person views is very idiosyncratic, I admit. Here my issue is mostly that it feels like there is a disconnect between my mouse movements and the character movements, so that it feels like Aiden is kind of gliding/stumblng everywhere. This isn’t so when I for instance hit the cover key, and he moves on his own, only when I’m controlling him directly. Contrast that to The Division, where it’s crisp and direct all the time. Just a personal thing, though I am pretty sure that it’s optimized for the gamepad.

I get what you mean, Division definitely felt more direct. Same with Wildlands that I am playing now.

Different engines I assume? The Division is Snowdrop, I think.