Far Cry: New Dawn - It's Far Cry 5.5


#22

It’s pretty amazing.

I was playing it for a while recently and it’s great. Of course it’s Fallout 4 so eventually that wears off, but until that point it was fun as heck.


#23

Hmm. So play this or FC5 itself. Main game will probably cost less then this when it comes out.


#24

FC5 had horrible main story, but stuff around it was mostly good, the world beautiful and atmospheric and god damn that soundtrack. I can recommend it.
I still listen to this stuff when I feel like visiting heaven for a while


#25

If you like that kind of ambient, ethereal post rock, you have a lot of bands to choose from.


#26

#27

I haven’t played Far Cry 5, but one time @tomchick was streaming Spintires, and he put on this beautiful song. I had to stop whatever else I was doing on my desktop and just listen for a while. At the end, I was asking on the stream what that song was, and it turns out it was a song from Far Cry 5.


#28

Most likely this:

It’s a beautiful piece of music.

-Tom


#29

FarCry 5 is cheap(ish) atm == you all figure it’s worth it to jump in and shoot some Montana crazies --secretly waiting for the post-apocalypse and now that I heard that great song – sucking up to the music?


#30

Please fix co-op in this so that the co-op partner gets credit for quests, not just the leader.


#31

But it’s got different looking planets and trees…

Maybe they will let you catch mutant two headed fish.


#32

It takes place 17 years later so presumably anyone who didn’t die in FC5 is probably still alive. Hell, you’re probably part of Joseph’s coven.

Also, never forget that Far Cry 5 is the worst Far Cry ever.


#33

After immensely enjoying Far Cry 5 I immediately pre ordered this one. Too bad the soundtrack probably can`t keep up even close with the one from FC5. Oh the Bliss!


#34

Oh snap.


#35

I really enjoyed 80 percent of Far Cry 5. In fact, if it didn’t have the other 20 percent I would have probably said it was one of my favorite games of the last 5 years.

But cutscenes of creepos and Nazi swastikas tattoos and endless diatribes makes me give is a minus 2 stars on a 1-5. Plus just creepy guys in your face. Yechh!

I plan on waiting out New Dawn. I see what they are doing but…


#36

Wow, that does nothing for me.

And the PC is once again mute moron isn’t it.


#37

“Rook”. I wanted to shoot everyone who called me that.

Worst Far Cry ever.


#38

I tried to pretend they were likening me to those really cool raven like birds. But no, it didn’t work. I, too, wished to commit various acts of violence on the people who called me that.


#39

I’m actually playing FC5 now, was on sale for twenty bucks. It substantially innovated over FC4, which I also played.

FC:ND initially seems largely like more of the same in a post-apocalyptic setting, but it innovates a bit too.

You can now abandon an outpost after you conquer it, which repopulates it with much harder enemies, and you can do that twice. That’s good stuff.

Another big change is that weapons and enemies have levels, from 1 to 3. This solves a big problem in Far Cries since 3, where they have no way to escalate difficulty beyond throwing tons of enemies and flying planes at you, and you can find a best-in-slot weapon early and never really replace it later on. No longer the case; higher-level weapons are gated by progressing through the game.

And finally it has expeditions, where you travel to separately instanced self-contained maps with specific objectives, very different from standard FC gameplay.

This all seems like good stuff. Ubisoft is firing on all cylinders.


#40

Far Cry 4 had these. The CIA guy would pilot you up to snowy separate maps with a cold weather gameplay mechanic.


#41

Well, kinda. As I recall those were core storyline missions, but you’re right that they weren’t in the open world.