Far Cry: New Dawn - It's Far Cry 5.5

How do you get the happy shovel? It appeared to be behind some sort of paywall when I noticed it very briefly in my game.

Its an unlockable on the Uplay rewards screen, it cost a few ubi coins (I think it was 20).

Side note, one of the first skills EVERYONE should get is safe opening, either via lockpicking or the torch. One of the first few missions in game has at least 2 safe’s that will not be accessible after the mission ends.

I had many of these scenarios in Primal.

This game sure likes to use skunks in creative ways.

7 hours in and barely 1/4 of the map revealed. I really like that locations have set amounts of scavengable stuff, I like looking for it. OMG there are 101 locations to loot, lol. D:

The align the photo things are also really cool. :)

LK I dunno. Pink Motorcycle? Plus I stand opposed to the Far Cry 5 end game.

Grrrr what a dumb narrative.

@KristiGaines they fix it and end the story, so I say its worth getting . ;)

I never thought the FC 5 ending was dumb, in a narrative sort of way, just clunky and problematic in a gameplay sort of way. I actually appreciate the attempt at something other than the cut and dried binary good guy/bad guy showdown denouement. The execution of it, like the dumb ass cut scene take-the-player-out-of-the-world crap during the game, was rather lacking, but the story was pretty interesting, if disturbing.

In New Dawn, one of the story arcs is about how the regular survivors deal with the remnants of the “Peggies,” which I think is a pretty cool thing, and one of the more realistic aspects of a highly unrealistic set of games.

Also, the nuclear weapons used at the end of FC5 may be the weakest ones ever used - including at the end of WWII. I mean, I have yet to find evidence that anyone died due to the actual blasts themselves, and a crap ton of evidence of all those that survived (even if they don’t appear in the game).

Interesting point; the ending of FC 5 seemed to show a rather impressive (if implausibly prolific) array of nuke strikes in the general area of Hope County, yet we have a nebulous radiation zone and, as you note, a dearth of casualties. I suspect New Dawn is operating off of a more realistic but less spectacular version of the nuclear war, one that wasn’t portrayed as such in FC 5, because, well, there wouldn’t be much of a game otherwise.

The entire county is full of preppers with their own bunkers and shelters, so it’s reasonable that many were able to take cover from the blasts. That the centre of Hope County managed to escape much of the damage is a bit odd though.

Blockquote[quote=“Sam_Jones, post:133, topic:139066, full:true”]
The entire county is full of preppers with their own bunkers and shelters, so it’s reasonable that many were able to take cover from the blasts. That the centre of Hope County managed to escape much of the damage is a bit odd though.
[/quote]

Sure. And if all the main NPCs were at home near their bunkers instead of standing right next to the PC while arresting Joseph Seed when all the bombs started hitting, then what you say makes sense. But somehow, they were all able to get all the way across the map to where the bunkers were despite explosions going off everywhere.

They’re basically the equivalent of those portable nukes from the Fallout series. All show, no real power.

Yep this is on track to be my favorite Far Cry game, and will probably be in my top 10 list for the year.

I just did a few quests for the bow and arrow guys, headed up north next. I am pretty much decked out with all purple weapons now. Still have 2 more companions to unlock.

Tried killing an Elite Bison, it didn’t go well.

Not sure I saw this posted, its the companions and their upgrades.

Timber is the MVP of the cast if you like looting locations.

See, I think Nana is the MVP, as she makes it almost too easy to take over outposts with no alarms sounded (if not undetected), which gets you extra ethanol - which is the one real bottleneck in terms of upgrades.

Yea, Nana is insanely good. Though I enjoy most of the others too depending on what I am doing.

The pig. It’s all about Horatio.

I’ve had ridiculously good luck stealing ethanol trucks. :)

Last night I took an ethanol truck, and just before getting to the outpost to turn it in, I was accosted by some Highwaymen on ATVs. I pulled my pistol to take a few shots at them…and promptly shot the truck in the side and blew it, and me, and my dog, sky-high.

Yeah, I found it best to get out of the tanker truck and kill the Highwaymen on foot instead of trying to do so from the driver’s seat. Having the mechanic perk (vehicles slowly repair themselves) also helps.