Far Cry: New Dawn - It's Far Cry 5.5

This game has so many Micheal Bay movie scene moments!

For example, last night my son and I rolled up to a hostile outpost to take control of it. We keep things simple; drive right into the base with radio blaring rap jam, jump out of the car, spread out and shoot everything that moves. Now keep in mind this all happened in a matter of 8 - 10 seconds and there was shouting, bullets flying, alarms blaring, and rocking background music.

In this case we came up against a couple of armored enemies I’d never seen before and I got into trouble with one while my son was off doing his thing. I ended up climbing onto a platform to escape this new bullet sponge and unloaded a magazine into him as he followed me, climbing up right behind.

I don’t recall exactly what he did to me when he reached the top but it hurt like hell, dropping my health to near 0, and knocking me backwards off the platform to the ground below on my back.

So now, I’m on my back, almost dead, looking up at this guy (still on the platform!) who is about to finish the job when I notice a beautiful bright red barrel right next to him. He follows my gaze and his eyes widen (ok maybe he didn’t do that but you can imagine this happening in a movie!) and we look back at each other and now it’s a race to reload. I win that race, take aim and fire! The barrel explodes and his lifeless body is hurled away like the piece of garbage that he is…was. I got up and walked away as fire started to spread.

My son and I just start whooping and laughing uncontrollably. He saw the whole thing and said it was like watching a scene from a movie and that’s just one example! We have several of these moments every session and it never gets old.

Great story, thanks for sharing!

And after traveling north, wow just wow.

Don’t want to spoil it…

Anyways now I am going over all the outposts a 2nd time, gotta get that ethanol for upgrades. So many stations to upgrade inside of Prosperity.

Level 3 of the compound looks pretty cool:

It almost ended up being a quarter to three gaming night! ;)

Maybe Tom will play it on non-request Friday. I’d like to see some hummingbirds. Though how they are relevant in a post-apocalyptic world escapes me.

Apparently the hummingbirds have gone crazy and started pollinating pink plant life throughout the region.

Managed to get Nana last night, after multiple attempts at stage 2 of her shooting gallery challenge. She is fucking awesome and hilarious.

Did you end up finishing last night?

I’m way behind compared to you folks but I’ve unlocked everything but Rush for my first Prosperity upgrade. I’m tempted to sit on that because I’m assuming that is a story advancement. I’d like to get some more of the stations in the base upgraded a tier and bank some ethanol.

As others have said here, I’m struggling a bit more with the lack of stealth being a viable option this go round. Though you can still game it a bit, there are just too many open spaces with combat it seems, and key locations have been scrubbed of a lot of the growth around them.

Stealth is an option (with bows and throwing knives available right away), although it becomes easier the later you get in the game. Long range stealth? You can’t do that yourself, but if you get Nana, she has a silenced sniper rifle, and that allows you to really easily take over most outposts undetected (outside of Signal Point and The Island - those can still be really tricky). Once you get to level 3 weapons, you get access to a silenced assault rifle (I can’t remember if you also get access to a silenced sniper rifle, or if you need elite level weapons for that). But you can’t upgrade to level 3 weapons until you upgrade Prosperity, and you can’t do that w/o Rush.

Note that once you get Rush - and you do the mission right after that - you’re pretty much free to upgrade everything to it’s max w/o doing another story mission. However, you don’t get access to the final five perks until you do most of the story missions in Part 2 (won’t say more than that). And there is one place on the map where you can’t get to a treasure stash - or the last two collectables for the location - until you have one of those five perks.

Edit: Forgot to mention bows and throwing knives.

Not true, if you jump just right, your character will grab that ledge in the cave, even if it looks like you will miss it. :)

@Skipper I didn’t finish last night, I did get the remainder of the music collectibles though.

Noted. I’m going to switch to a bow for one of my weapons then. I played mostly stealth-like during the bulk of Far Cry 5.

Finished this up this morning. All in all, a much better implementation in many respects - not the least of which is not forcing you out of the open world to complete a story mission. If you don’t want to advance the story, and just want to tool around the world w/ nothing better than level 2 weapons, you never have to do a story mission once you get past the set of intro missions and you get to Prosperity. And even after that story mission (and the next one), you can ignore story missions after that all you want and pretty much max out Prosperity, weapons, whatever. The story itself is also a much better ending than FC5.

As for story specifics…it doesn’t ‘fix’ the ending or the story from FC5. First, although he admits to being a ‘monster’ at the end of the game, the fact is that this version of Joseph Seed isn’t a monster. Something happened to him in the intervening 17 years, and while you may not agree with his vision of the world, he is not someone you would have gone to ‘war’ with in FC5. Not that it excuses what he did in FC5, but again, he’s just not the same person. And it also doubles down on him being a prophet. I mean, when you get to New Eden the first time and are turned away, he just appears in a vision, and leads you to the book that allows you entrance. And you can’t blame it on bliss, because you haven’t (probably) been exposed to it yet - he just appears out of thin air. And that bothers me for the same reasons it did in the first game, although him not being an evil dickhead somewhat mitigates it for New Dawn. As for the twins, they’re just your standard evil dicks who need to be put down. Nothing special or out of the ordinary there.

I’d have to recommend the game if you liked FC5 at all (open world-breaking mission starts aside). Probably too much to hope for some DLC for it, being an ‘expansion-like’ title to begin with, but it’d be nice.

Lastly, one tip/trick for you if you’re looking for perk points - every time you complete a level III expedition or take over a level 3 outpost, you get 3 perk points. Even if you scrap and take over the same outpost over and over again - 3 points every time you do so. Easy way to build up perk points (not to mention scrap from the expeditions and ethanol from outposts) once you get far enough.

Just got Prosperity to level 3 last night. I found that stealth was quite viable with level II weapons–the silenced rifle you get there doubles as a sniper weapon pretty well, and there’s a silenced pistol as well. Shooting out the alarm box (only one for level one outposts) is the easiest way to get the bonus for no alarms, though. Make as much noise as you want after that.

And yes, Nana is a hoot and a half, and a killing machine.

This is quite possibly my favorite Cry of the post FC2 implementations, with Primal close behind. I like the rpg-ish elements grafted onto the usual FC chaos, and appreciate the relative freedom it offers versus earlier versions. FC5 in particular just wore me down with the forced cut scenes and the penny-ante philosophy lectures.

Nana plus a saw launcher is straight up enjoyment.

There are a few sequences that, while not quite “on rails,” are a bit confining, but they work in the game fiction much better than in FC 5 itself, and don’t break you out of the game/story nearly as much, if at all. There is though a bit of philosophizing, albeit a lot less IN YOUR FACE than before.

After reading @ChiTownBluesFan’s comments and digging in, this what what I found as well. Besides the three I had before Nana, I’ve now taken all 10 strongholds at level 1. Four with no detection and 3 with no alarms. No detection really should get more of a bonus.

And I’m up past a quarter to three and just now winding down. This is a ton of fun. I’ve still not unlocked all the roster nor pursued Rush to advance Prosperity. Even reading what you guys have posted, I’m wary advancing anything resembling story until I’m dead set and ready.

If you’ve advanced Prosperity all you can (ie, upgraded all the stations), there’s no reason not to rescue Rush and do the mission right after that. Nothing really changes in the world after that, and there are no more barriers (other than resources) to upgrade Prosperity all the way.

One thing that is a bit weird is that, while you get a message about not killing innocent civilians if you, um, kill innocent civilians, there seems to be zero consequences for doing so, other than the civs at the site of your transgression will often go agro on you, but only right there and then.

Usually, this happens when I’m either sniping a driver and the bullet goes through/misses and hits the prisoner, or I’m trying to keep some form of wild beast from noshing on the civ. Oops.

OK, paused RDR2 long enough to start this up. Realized how I’d forgotten all the controls, LOL! And made the mistake of trying to kill all the bad guys in the intro until realizing you can’t do that.

Just finished making the saw gun and getting to the home base. Couple of questions right off the bat:

1. Where is the map? Can’t figure out how to open an overview map,
  2. How far in do you have to go to be able to play co-op?

Assuming you made it to Prosperity, talk to Kim until she gives you the mission to rescue Rush. Then the whole world opens up, and then the select (?) button brings up the map and a whole bunch of tabs. I don’t know the answer to #2, because I don’t play co-op, but I would suspect it’s the same answer.

That’s actually one of the things I liked best about Nana - she is real good at sniping the driver of a truck w/o hitting the prisoner. I had a terrible time at that. Always seemed to hit both the driver and the prisoner, even with just one shot. It’s a lot more fun when I take out two Highwaymen w/ the same sniper rifle shot - it’s just hard to get the to line up so I can do so.