Far Cry Primal - In prehistoric eras, they still had towers to climb

Not officially revealed yet, but there have been leaks.

Ubi’s official stream with nothing much going on is here: https://youtu.be/eAQmt-60nUY

I have yet to play Far Cry 2…I feel so far behind :(

This would seem like a great parody…except, it’s probably quite true.

I hope it’s like Blood Dragon. A downloadable title done on-the-cheap in which the devs were allowed to go a little wild with the base game.

Sounds great to me. I’ve loved the formula they’ve used since FC3, but it could use a new setting.

No guns?

If Far Cry Primal is really set in the Stone Age, you’re actually many thousand years ahead! ;)

(I’m just trying to help - and failing, apparently)

Most likely not, but considering that Blood Dragon exists, there might as well be. Along with Bronto Burgers and heaven knows what else.

You’re actually ahead given this new game is the Stone Age.

Turn that frown upside down! You’re actually ahead given that Primal takes place in the Stone Age.

… just joining in the cause to help him feel better =P

Shame.

Far Cry 2 is the best Far Cry. Play on the hardest difficulty, maybe give yourself an ironman rule, and embrace the punishing nature of the world. There is nothing like creeping through the dense safari at night only to hear a passing patrol jeep rev its engines as it comes racing towards you and you suddenly realize you only have a flare gun equipped.

-Todd

Too bad the spawn rate kind of ruined it for me. :(

That is definitely the divisive point.

I loved the respawning checkpoints since it added to the oppressive brutality of the world and didn’t make the map feel empty and pointless like in later Far Crys where you have huge swathes of friendly territory. Far Cry 2 predated the “cleaning up all the icons on the map” development style of modern Ubisoft and was better for it.

-Todd

Whew! Officially announced.

Ubisoft Montreal’s next Far Cry game is a Stone Age-era open world game called Far Cry Primal, and it launches for PS4 and Xbox One on February 23, 2016. A PC release will follow in March, 2016.

Set in 10,000 BC, Far Cry Primal follows Takkar, “a seasoned hunter and the last surviving member of his hunting group.” As players survive in the land of Oros, “they will have to craft weapons and tools partly from the bones of slain beasts, hunt for food, master fire, fend off fierce predators and face off against other tribes to conquer Oros.”

No price? Is it a Blood Dragon-like lower priced title?

$60 retail release. PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on Feb 23rd. PC gets it in March.

Hmmm. If I can make a bow, I’ll be good with this.

Re: the arguments on the relative strengths of the FCs - liked a lot of FC2 but the spawning kind of ruined it for me; like a lot of FC3, but hated the story/campaign (I enjoyed wandering the world but detested the story missions.) I actually like FC4 a LOT, enjoyed the open world pieces it offered, enjoyed the story line and missions (I rarely like the main campaign missions of any open world game,) e.g the one where you had to sneak into a camp at night and stealthily release hostages was great, and LOVE the co-op capability. Had a blast playing online coop with my brother and helping him take down some of the tougher forests and love flying together in the buzzer, shooting grenades at convoys below us!

Everything beyond a fist sized rock is DLC.

My god, a Far Cry game set in the world of The Flintstones would be the greatest game to ever grace our monitors. I would spend hours upon hours trying to infiltrate the headquarters of the Loyal Order of the Water Buffalo. Even more time trying to get my can opener/record player to talk back to me. I just…I…

…I need to lie down.

It maybe be a $60 retail game, but the fact they have only given four months to the marketing department and that the title is Far Cry: Primal and not Far Cry 4: Primals (in other words, not considered important or big enough to be a normal entry) makes me it won’t the typical AAA full fledged experience.

Oh, agreed. I’m sure the game’s development resembled the cycle for Blood Dragon more than one of the main installments. The very fact that Ubisoft revealed this now for a Feb release instead of at the start of the year for a Nov/Dec release tells me a lot.

Still, I loved Blood Dragon and while this isn’t as wacky of a concept, it’s at least different from the norm.