Far Cry Primal - In prehistoric eras, they still had towers to climb

I think the idea that the Far Crys are reskins is overstated. It’s really only 4 that reuses most of 3, and even there I found it distinct enough. I think it’s the similarity to the Assassins that causes the over familiarity. The FCs are too similar to the ACs, not the other FCs.

Hell yeah. And welcome back krayzkrok! Does this mean you’re back from the South Pole?

I would love to have played a Far Cry Primal based on Far Cry 2. Though ideally it would have been its own unique beast.

No one who says that is including Far Cry 1 and Far Cry 2. Or even that Blood Dragon thing. The issue with “reskinning” references Far Crys 3, 4, and Primal. It’s impossible to play those games without getting a serious sense of deja vu. Even more so that with the supposedly reskinned Assassin’s Creeds, by the way.

-Tom

I have a jaguar! Weee!

Pish. Talk to me when you get a badger.

-Tom

ooohhhh, the elusive badger!! I want that so bad! (Yes, I’m kinda hooked on the game).

The badger is particularly cool once you find out what he does. I won’t spoil it. :)

That said, I feel the jaguar is easily the most all-around useful for how you can just send him into camp from stealth to thin out enemies. I’d say he’s even a bit OP. Just load up on red herbs in case he dies and go to town. With the owl helping out, even the s00per d00per supposedly hard endgame bases are a breeze.

Let me know if you ever find a use for the sling. I have no idea what the point of that stupid thing was.

-Tom

Dude, you were hanging out with penguins? Pics or it didn’t happen!

There is one dopey mission in Primal where you have to shoot something called a snow bird, but it just looks like, I dunno, a pigeon or something. It sure as heck doesn’t attack you like the eagles.

-Tom

No thanks, more Penguin pics please.

So my love of all things prehistoric and some enthusiasm from Razgon and a lawyer friend got me to take a chance on this…despite the fact that console games are now apparently $100, jesus.

Great beginning - starting it in the midst of a mammoth hunt immediately gave me some prehistoric critter love, even though it’s a brief and linear segment. I liked the early survival aspects too, even though they’re not very rigorous yet, and my situational awareness wasn’t as good as I expected. Just played for about 40 minutes and got to Oro and started puttering around, but I like the look of the game a lot so far and I’m looking forward to diving into it more on this cold weekend. (although I’m also spending some gaming time on South Park Stick of Truth, which I’m finally getting around to playing as well).

Yay! Glad to hear it, Desslock! I’m really enjoying this. My favorite moment so far was when I exclaimed very loudly (And I never curse) -"Is that a Sabertooth cat? Is there a damn sabertooth cat here?! WHAT IS GOING ON! " with my GF giggling like crazy in the background from my loud exclamations! Because that thing really took me by surprise!

• Tom, I LOVE my Jaguar, but am very curious about that badger! Annoying that Grim Dawn is so great as well!

I wonder if the badger has any issues with mushrooms and snakes…?

Why are you guys derailing the penguin pics with your Far Cry Primal talk?

-Tom

I only played Far Cry 3 for 7 hours. Always wanted to get back into it as it is fun… but always find something else to do that seems more fun :). So having skipped 4, could I get primal? Or will I likely peter out after awhile.

Far Cry 2 I played maybe 150 hours on PS3. Edit - I like how I didn’t capitalize Primal, so I’ll leave it unedited.

Didn’t play 2, played 3 but quit after finishing the story and before exploring the entire southern island because I knew there was absolutely nothing worth finding other than more plastic elephants and fake cuban cigars, played 4 and really enjoyed the story and the freestyle play and especially the co-op with a friend.

Reading Tom’s review: will skip Primal as it just doesn’t offer anything of interest to me.

I’ve played Penguin 2, 3 and 4. I waited for Penguin 4 to drop in price, since I felt it would be the same Penguin all over again.

Will do the same with Primal.

Penguin and the mountain is honestly the best penguin picture I’ve ever seen.

Also I’m pretty sure the joke is that Gentoo penguin is dissapointed that Far Cry Primal isn’t available on Linux.

Far Cry Primal graphic comparison by IGN:

It’s like looking at the same three videos to me.

Same here. The only one that looks a little different is the PS4 version, and it just looks like they didn’t set the gamma settings correctly in that one, as everything looks a little washed out and too bright. I bet that would be fixed by just turning down the gamma. And then they’d all look the same. There were moments where I thought while in motion the PC version looked sharper, but when they switched to stills, I thought maybe it had just been my bias because I was expecting to see a sharper image. It didn’t look sharper in the still shots.

I thought PS4 looked the worst and PC the best, but the differences were minor.