Far Cry Primal - In prehistoric eras, they still had towers to climb

You’re right. Too many people remember FC2 with rose-colored glasses. The respawns were a huge pita. Everything was tan. And the malaria mechanic got old fast.

That’s why I loved the mini chopper in FC4. Once I found that, I never climbed another tower. Just flew to the top level, landed, hopped out and hit the panel, then back into the chopper and off we go.

Not sure I see the appeal of that. For all that we rightly decry Ubisoft for using the same mechanic(s) in every game, the actual tower climbing itself is usually pretty fun, in a Tomb Raidery kind of way. Less so when you fall off right near the top, of course.

I never worked out why those things fell out of the sky from time to time. You’d be puttering along and suddenly the alarm would go - too high? No fuel? It was always random to me.

I honestly never had the problem. Almost all the outposts can be ignored by simply driving around or even straight through them. They give up the chase pretty quickly.

Rose colored glasses? We were having this exact debate when Far Cry 2 was released. It’s a fundamental disagreement about what aspects really excite people, and other factors that turn people off a lot, while they don’t bother other people. It’s got nothing to do with rose-colored glasses, unless even at launch I was playing Far Cry 2 and remembering some other game that was giving me some kind of nostalgia buzz or something. Go read the Far Cry 2 thread, you’ll see how much some people hated the game and how much others loved it.

Yeah it’s not rose colored glasses since I replay Far Cry 2 all the time. I can see why the respawning checkpoints may not be to everyone’s taste but they work for me. They fit into the narrative of a brutal inhospitable place. All shooters make the player a superhuman and FC2 does as well, but it is one of the first mainstream shooters that challenged that a bit with so many possibilities of things going wrong like guns jamming, bouts of malaria, and a place where all factions were aggressive towards the player. I always play on the hardest difficulty and wish there was a difficulty setting above that. I love it in the way I love the Stalker series.

Could they have timed the respawns differently? Sure. But ultimately they fit into my (and others) enjoyment of the game.

-Todd

Sick burn, dude.

Actually, rereading that today reveals a rougher edge than I intended. Apologies for the tone, but Bateau overlooked it gracefully.

-Todd

Have to say I didn’t register respawning at all. It’s one of those things like jumping fences in The Witcher that seems to engender hatred but passed me by.

I purposely played in a way as to not notice it. For example, if I’m going from point A to point B, I can take different routes there, especially if I use bus stops. So I’ll go through certain checkpoints on my way there, and if I get to point B, and I have to return to point A, I always took a different route, instead of backtracking. Once I figured out that backtracking exposes the short respawn time and bothered people so much, I purposely always took a different route so that I never came across short-timed respawning. It was easy enough to do since the game has many alternate routes from place to place.

Actually I lold irl when I thought back to all the Assassin’s Creeds and other janitor simulators I’ve completed in the past, I just didn’t want to derail the thread further.

Carry on :).

20min video

It looks absolutely awesome. Far Cry but more survival based. I’m sold :)

Er, did that owl kill a deer?

I didn’t (yet) watch that 20m video, but the trailer I saw made me want to pre-order (though I did enjoy FC3 and 4 quite a bit, and FC2 is a classic).

Dear Lord let me turn of the presenter.

Sounds like From Dust in first person.

Ubi games live and die on the ability to turn off HUDs and icons.

Collecter’s Edition announced.

“Legend of the Mammoth” missions: Up to 45 minutes of additional gameplay, where the player will have the unique opportunity to play as the largest animal in Oros, the almighty mammoth, and feel the power to stomp its enemies and defend its herd from other beasts and humans

Duel of beasts: A powerful rhino spirit dares to challenge your might. Battle him and his herd across treacherous cliffs to assert your dominance

The trapped elder: Bloodthirsty hunters have trapped your leader. Crash their camp and lead the elder to freedom

Hunt the hunter: The time for revenge is now. Lead your herd to crush those who threaten your survival

A new weapon, the Blood Shasti Club: A bloodstained club of bone and teeth once wielded by Ull, the vicious leader of the Udam. This weapon is unbreakable and cannot be consumed by flame.

4 enhancement packs: Offers early access to rare resources and unique customization

It looks to be one of the more boring collector’s editions I have seen in awhile? Might get the digital version, but not excited about any of the physical goods.

The official video have different presenters

The whole “pet class” aspect of it is a huge turn-off for me. No longer day 1.