Far Cry Primal - In prehistoric eras, they still had towers to climb

If only you hadn’t again.

I heard a rumor that the bow string in Far Cry Primal , could randomly break. ;)

I was excited about Far Cry Primal but without great AI, or if it has easily exploitable AI, it will indeed feel like more of the same despite the setting. One of the coolest aspects, having an animal hunt with you did not turn out as I’d hoped. Instead of an unreliable animal that took a long time to train and can kill you, you can train almost any animal who then becomes murder machine. Each time you train a new type of animal I’m sure it will be awesome, but it looks to be repetitive rather quickly.

I have to agree if there was one Ubisoft game that should have been made mp compatible, this is it. This would have been amazing fun to play with my Uncle who is half the country away,

Ignoring the first game, farcry as a series isnt exactly known for changing much.

Primal 101 trailer: https://youtu.be/HI_HA5Hfr54

Live-action (with a ton of CG) trailer: https://youtu.be/P8qoqTJvBmI

I love how the first comment is ‘I never asked for this’. Thanks, internet.

Not exactly. Ubisoft games aren’t known for changing much. As we can notice from FC3 to FC4 to FC Primal. But Far Cry, the series, happened to have gone several styles: Far Cry 1 is different to Far Cry 2 (different company, too), and Far Cry 3 is also different to the other two. It was just once they had mainstream success with 3 making it the typical sandbox Ubi game, but this time as FPS, when the repetitive pattern started.

Eurogamer review.

Sadly, it is indeed just a new skin for the same old game. Here is a little of what makes it different though:

Another not-quite-developed thread is hunting and taming, though this is definitely the part of Primal that does most to earn the price of admission. It begins with your arsenal, a selection of bows, spears and clubs backed up by throwables such as poisoned darts that send enemies berserk, and pots of bees for use against close-knit groups. The weapons may sound underwhelming on paper but there are a few fun ramifications. One, Takkar can’t carry as much ammunition as his predecessors (you only have room for a couple of spears at the outset), so fighting at range is more considered, a real question of picking your moments. Two, bows, spears and clubs have relatively long wind-up and recovery periods, which creates a pleasant amount of stress when taking aim at a charging rhino. And three, all of your primary weapons are flammable. As always in Far Cry, setting an entire village on fire is an elegant and often accidental solution to the problem of dug-in resistance.

It’s a shame they shoehorned the pre-historic setting into yet another formula game though. Maybe I’ll check it out in a couple of years.

So this comes out tomorrow, right? Color me surprised. I thought this topic would bubble back up to the surface this week. No one interested in this thing? Seems like the reviews are coming in solid, but not ground breaking.

As I said before, I’m interested in the setting, but I’m kind of done with the Far Cry formula. I’ve played Far Cry 3 and 4 with Blood Dragon in between and there’s very little difference through them all.

I’ll play this eventually, but I’m not rushing out to get it.

PC version is delayed by one week so that might have contributed to the relative lack of interest (for now).

Haven’t read many reviews, EGMnowhad a few good comments, it got a 7/10 on the site.

The Good The graphics are stunning—Ubisoft has truly mastered facial animations and lighting effects.
The Bad The game feels like a full-priced reskin of Far Cry 4, without the engaging storyline.
The Ugly Performing a takedown when enemies are hooking up.

Tom’s review on the front page is a great read.

It made me want to fire up Far Cry 2 again though. Or Saints Row IV.

Holy crap, that’s a good review.

I love this sentence:

Bethesda gave you an optional and charmless Minecraft-a-like so you could build an unsightly favela of no gameplay consequence whatsoever.

The last line reminds me of Oblivion; I’m picturing nervous production teams presenting their latest builds to Melissa Leo. “Is this an effective game, Jack?”

That’s a pretty good review, yeah.

Well, after a few hours in the game, I’m thoroughly enjoying myself, which is a first for me in the franchise (aside from the first one,that is).

Conan O’Brien’s Clueless Gamer for Far Cry Primal: https://youtu.be/v8bZBn2dCYU

Unfortunately, PewDiePie is in it. Thankfully, he’s not in YouTube mode. He’s just acting normal.

Tom’s review on the front page, sucked out any enthusiasm I had for this, I might get it once its like $10.

It gives me more time anyway to work on the backlog. :)