Fargo the TV miniseries

I had no problem with anything in this episode. Not the narration, not Hanzee’s motivation, and not the UFO. To my mind, this is about as flawless an example of episodic TV as I’ve ever seen (along with Better Call Saul).

I didn’t even realize it was Martin Freeman as the narrator! What a great touch. The narration just served to make this a sort of self-contained episode, which is something this season has done very well. You’ll notice that Fargo brings in the same director for pairs of episodes. These final two episodes are directed by Adam Arkin. The previous two were directed by Keith Gordon. Although it’s still episodic, with a strong through-line and consistent tone, I like how much these directors are able to give their episodes unique character. As the penultimate episode, the narration was a solid device for setting up this sort of Shakespearean showdown, with characters dying left and right.

And what I also like about the narration being taken from a history book is that it acknowledges an alternate reality where this sprawling horrific crime clash resulted in multiple massacres. Of course, no such thing happened, and if it had, it would have been well known. This fictional history book if Fargo’s way of saying, “Yeah, we know this thing has gotten huge and hugely implausible given the reality you live in, so here’s us showing you a different reality, an alternate history.”

I similarly like the acknowledged ambiguity about Hazee’s motives. It didn’t oversell it. It didn’t handwave it away. Very nicely balanced by playing to the very thing the audience should be wondering: Why is Hanzee doing all this? We don’t know for sure, but along with the book the narrator is reading from, we can speculate. A lesser show would have either glossed over it or nailed down and punctuated a specific moment.

As for the UFO, I am 100% down with what they did, and I would be okay with that being the last we see of it. It’s as if God came down (summoned by the “devotion” of Ted Danson’s character, with his UFO shrine?), accidentally caused all this mayhem with a precipitating event (inadvertently mesmerizing Kiernan Culkin while he stood in the middle of the road so that Peg hit him), and then decided to see how it would play out. It/He sees the culmination of the events, which highlight human greed, folly, resentment, violence. It literally shines a light on the various players, once again getting a Gearhardt killed by distracting him, and allowing Peggy to get the jump on Hanzee and escape. Having intervened a second time, hasn’t It/He taken a step to set things straight, to restore balance? It/He then departs, leaving a core group to resolve their choices in relative peace.

The people who are left – Hanzee, and Peg and Ed Blumquist – have made certain choices during these events that they will have to be accountable for. Everyone else’s path was pretty much set. But Hanzee, Peg, and Ed are the players who altered the course of what should have been criminals at war with each other, working within the usual structure of criminals at war with each other. These events should have simply been Kansas City taking over the weakened Gearhardt family. Kingdoms doing what kingdoms do to each other. But He/It screwed that up, and now He/It returned for a second appearance to give Hanzee, Peg, and Ed a chance to resolve this in some way other than being three more casualties in a senseless shootout.

Lou Solverson and Mike Milligan just seem to be leftovers representing the opposite spectrums of law and crime, each of them smarter, more insightful, and more competent than their peers.

At least, that’s my initial take on it…

And there’s a reason “deus ex machina” is a phrase. It’s an established narrative device and it’s not always a weakness. In the mythology/theology often established by the Coens, there is a God and He does punish the unjust. That’s the theme of many of their scripts, most eloquently expressed in A Serious Man. I seems to me the UFO is series creator Noah Hawley’s expression of that theology.

-Tom

I wonder if the UFO is a call out to the ending of The Man Who Wasn’t There? It could be part of a shared universe (for lack of a better term) created by the Coens in which this kind of magic realism is just par for the course and accepted by all its inhabitants.

I just rewatched the episode and you’re right! I don’t know the name of the Pink Floyd number, but that bit in the Fargo soundtrack a dead ringer for it. Good catch!

Perhaps, but the obvious difference is that the UFO in Man Who Wasn’t There doesn’t do anything. Which is kind of the point. Man Who Wasn’t There is an uncharacteristically existential Coen brothers movie. Ed Crane sees it and just moseys on back into his cell to await his execution. Plus, it could very well be a dream sequence. There’s no mistaking the objective reality of Noah Hawley’s UFO. I feel if there’s any connection to other Coen stories, it’s more theological than just a call-out.

-Tom

I’m kind of a synthesizer nerd, so I’m more familiar with “On the Run” because it was made with a bit of exotic and rare synth, and I thought it was that song as well! I did google a list of songs from season 2, but didn’t see it featured, but it really sounded similar.

Great to see (and hear!) Allison Tolman again, albeit briefly. Her voiceover was a bit of a narrative red herring, making it almost as if something weird and potentially timeline changing would occur… but ultimately the episode wound up being a bit anti-climatic (and plot points you thought would go to certain places didn’t go there at all: Lou’s wounding, the UFO/sign-language thing, the wife dying, etc.) Though it was interesting how things transpired ultimately and character arcs were theoretically wrapped up. And they brought back the Fargo theme too.

I’m going to miss these characters. I loved the wackiness of this season so much.

— Alan

Well that was an okay finale. I thought Peggy had the best sendoff, Milligan the worst.

It’s always been interesting how liberal Hawley’s been in all his Coen homages. In this episode, the footchase between Hanzee and the Blumquists was straight outta No Country For Old Men, including the unlucky motorist and the bad guy dodging behind a car and disappearing.

Final Episode

Did anyone else feel that the Billy Bob character in season 1 was the Indian from this season? There are reasons to assume this - the mention of facial reconstructions, Billy Bob’s killing spree on the mafia…

I thought this series was nearly transcendent. Dunst deserves an Emmy nod if not the win. The scene in the patrol car with her, the wrap up with Ted Danson, all just fantastic. What an amazingly well written show. I’m really hard pressed at this point to think of finer TV.

answer to your spoiler

They showed who Hanzee would become when the gave him his new name, Moses Tripoli. He’s going to be the head of some sort of mafia that is killed when Billy Bob Thornton’s character storms his building and murders Moses and everyone in it, though I forget just why he did that now.

I was kinda underwhelmed by the finale. Other than the offhand reveal of Hanzee’s motivation by a minor character, we didn’t really learn anything new. (Anything new that was interesting or important, I should say - the connection between Hanzee and Season One, which was so tortured I needed to look it up on the Internet, was neither.)

And this episode continued the last one’s terrible habit of telling instead of showing. No, we don’t need to be told the Ted Danson character is a good man; that has been shown all season. Having a character flat-out say “You’re a good man” and giving him a loopy do-gooder hobby doesn’t add anything. No, we don’t need the Adam Arkin character to spend ten minutes grinding his heel into the irony of the would-be gangster king being rewarded with a mundane desk job - simply showing him the office and describing the hours would be enough (especially as “the Mob these days is just like any other big business” is already a well-worn cliche of crime fiction.) No, we don’t need a Cliff’s Notes version of Betsy’s monologue by Lou right after she gave it.

And no, we didn’t really need Betsy’s monologue, as touching as it was intended to be. Again, actions speak louder than words. In the movie all Marge had to do is say, “And it’s a beautiful day” to encapsulate her character. She didn’t say more - or namecheck Camus - because she’s not that kind of character.

(The finale also lacks the complexity of the Coens at their best. It uses the most conventional framing device possible - winter turning to spring now that the crisis is past. Whereas when Marge said “And it’s a beautiful day” it was in the depths of a bleak winter, leading to interesting questions. Same for the UFO - but I already went on about that.)

Which isn’t to say the finale was terrible or anything. I just didn’t find the last couple of episodes to be nearly as great as the ones preceding them, which I loved. And I really wish Noah Hawley had trimmed all those extra minutes of uneeded telling from the finale and instead given them over to giving Bear and Mama Gerhardt better conclusions to their arcs, instead of the frankly crappy one they got.

(There were a lot of great characters in this season, but now it’s all over it’s clear many of them never quite lived up to their potential. I mean, I have no problem with what happened to Simone … but the way things played out, it literally means nothing in the end.)

So Noah Hawley had made a few insights recently, stating that folks shouldn’t expect Season 3 before 2017. It’ll take place in 2010, about four years after the end of the first season, but won’t have the first season’s characters as the mains (though they may appear). The idea for Hanzee to be Tripoli came about during creating the second half of the second season (and there’s a note that at least one of the boys playing baseball is hearing impaired, which may link directly to one of the hitmen sent by the now-Tripoli in season one). He also said not to look for any real linkages between Season 2 and Season 3, unlike the first season to Season 2.

— Alan

You left out the narration about the dream about the future, which was pretty much straight out of Raising Arizona…at least the first part of it was.

Dunst for the emmy? Peggy ended strong and was always strong. Surprisingly so in my opinion. And a lot of screentime.

@tomchick Get yourself up to Canada: http://www.kiss959.com/2016/11/16/casting-call-extras-season-3-fargo/

You might meet Allison Tolman

Wait, is she in season three? That would make me very happy.

-Tom

Season 3 is coming April 19!

— Alan

Yeah, saw the promo during Legion. I’m excited!

Enjoying Seasons 1 and 2.

There are some really sublime moments overall. I can see why this is ranked so highly on metacritic.

The wholesale thematic copying from Fargo, the movie, is a bit … odd. I guess it’s like the northern version of a noir detective book or movie?

Still, I love Noir, and I can’t argue with the quality of the result here.

Heh, it’s not just copying from Fargo the movie. The series (both seasons) copies from all the Coen Brothers movies.

There are shoutouts to all kinds of things in there. It’s no coincidence that, say, one of the minor characters in season 2 is kinda-sorta like Walter from The Big Lebowski, or that there’s a UFO making an unexplained appearance, like in The Man Who Wasn’t There. Though we didn’t know it at the time (the movie not having come out when S2 premiered) I’m pretty sure the odd opening of season 2 is a backhanded reference to the start of Hail, Caesar!

A fair number of those references are going to be noirish, mostly because the show’s a crime show, but also because a large percentage of the Coen’s work are noirs or noiris.

this I don’t understand… the movie came out in the 90s, and S2 very recently… no?

He’s talking about Hail, Caesar! the Coen Brothers movie.

I honestly hadn’t thought about the show making references to the whole Coen ouvre, but @HumanTon, I think you are right. The UFO is certainly best explained this way :P.