Fargo the TV miniseries

Unexpected Billy Bob, in an unexpected context.

It got downright topical - tracking people through data analytics, the 1%, and a monologue about Putin. Between that and Peter and the Wolf, I totally forgot to do my usual “find the Coen Bros references” thing.

I really enjoyed the most recent episode. I feel like season 2 was stronger, this is still pretty excellent IMO.

Also, Mac from Sunny in Philly was laugh out loud funny in the last episode.

I am so impressed how incredibly good this show still is, so consistently. Every episode a pure joy. Ewan and Carrie are amazing. Stuhlbarg as well. But the writing…and direction…so good.

Carrie Coon is so different in The Leftovers too. And Ewan’s characters genuinely seem like different persons. And Thewlis is so amazing and creepy. Or amazingly creepy.

That said, I also feel like Season 2 was stronger, but this season still has time to surpass it.

I’m also really enjoying the new season. I think I slightly prefer season 2 due to the setting and the atmosphere, but we’re only 4 episodes in at this point anyway, so no final judgment yet.

Love the cast. I initially thought Ewan McGregor playing two characters could become distracting/annoying, but it works for me as it does for Desslock. David Thewlis is just a joy to watch. As is Michael Stuhlbarg.

Inching into “active dislike” for this season. It’s weird in all the wrong ways.

And yet…

Oh ya, this season is clearly drawing inspiration from current events. Almost scarily so. (I was just listening to “Ship of Fools” this morning because, hey, it’s a song for the times.)

This season is just as strong as the last two. Very surprising. Excellent actor(ing)s to the point of wondering how it is TV acting can be so bad. Episode 2 was fantastic. It is fundamental that they do a “Fargo” (the movie) type theme.

BTY – anyone from Minnesota? The Police chief is great and I believe will shine (acting wise) through the season. I love her.

This week we had A Serious Man shoutout - “mere surmise”

This season continues to channel the real world, only it’s less weird and unbelievable.

“Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov”

I am the walrus?

Was pretty surprised by this week’s episode. I thought that character would be the last one standing.

Holy shit this season is pissing me off.

And a few minutes later, good to hear that theme again, shame it just reminds me of how much better season one was.

I’m more interested in this one than the first season, which I thought was better executed but way more cut and dried. It’s fascinating to me to see all the balls they throw in the air, even if they may not catch all of them (see last season.)

Given they do shout-outs to old movies all the time and now they’re referencing real-world events, it’s only fitting they reference (old movies of) old real world events too. Follow the money!

I was really into the episode last night. I feel like Ray Wise simply doesn’t age.

Once they entered the bowling alley I expected a Big Lebowski shoutout at the bar … but not for it to include Ray Wise. Now I feel like I have to go back and watch the LA episode again to re-absorb what he said there.

So… the Bowling alley scene was straight up supernatural, right? I mean, Wise was like talking about how “they” had put the deaf guy (who is quickly becoming my favorite character) on a better “path” with her, and how she will confront the “evil” or whatever. I mean, he just shows up with a cat named Ray and knows all this stuff… this is crazy on the nose, eh?