Fargo the TV miniseries

Yarp.

Makes me long for a world in which the second season of True Detective was to first season as second season Fargo is to first season.

I’ve been keeping away from this thread because I’ve been behind on the season, but I’m caught up now. It’s rare to see a show make a leap like this in its second season.

My favorite part so far was Patrick Wilson doing his Raylen Givens impression at the Gerhardt’s ranch.

Man, ANOTHER amazing episode. This is incredible stuff.

I’m pretty sure I just simply uttered “wow” at the end of this one. Loved Nick Offerman as comic relief throughout an otherwise very heavy episode(and then his part joined in on the heaviness). Is he just a 70’s Ron Swanson with reversed facial hair? I can’t tell, but I love it. I don’t recall a UFO in this one, did I just miss it?

This episode had a scene broken up into snippets during the final credits. Have any other episodes had anything in the credits? I usually let them play most of the way through anyway, but I’m not positive I’ve done that every time, so I hope I didn’t miss anything.

I think that’s the first time, Wholly.

Now that was some sweet Offerman. And, yeah, another really really good episode. I like watching Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemons’ characters grappling with their situation. Both actors are doing a great job.

I think even if the rest of the season suddenly sucks, it will have been worth it.

-Tom

Did not see any mention of a UFO. Now I’m entirely disappointed.

— Alan

This show had to go and make me like Ted Danson as a serious actor, damn it. That face off was almost as good as the one with Patrick Wilson earlier.

And yeah, Offerman almost stole the whole episode.

The only weak spot right now is Bokeem Woodbine’s hitman. He’s doing fine as an actor, don’t get me wrong. But his character suddenly quoting the Jabberwocky felt forced. They need to let his character establish that he’s not just a different version of Billy Bob Thornton’s character from season 1. I thought they were on their way to doing that with his scenes involving Burn Notice’s daughter. Hopefully they’ll return to that.

I dunno about all that, I think Bokeem’s character is a lot more fun and interesting than Thornton’s character. But BBT has always kind of rubbed me the wrong way, for whatever reason, so I am maybe an easy sell on that score.

Renewed for Season 3. How/when/where they go after Season 2 is beyond me.

— Alan

Watched an episode of Man in the High Castle followed by tonight’s Fargo and all I could think is: dramatic television has never been better than it is now.

The Coens references continue, of course. Some big - major Miller’s Crossing references, like Danny Boy and
an important scene

a character is taken into the woods, begs for mercy, and is killed. Or are they?

But there are other much more subtle references. For example, there’s a single little solitary chime that keeps creeping into the music. It’s from Barton Fink’s score and I can’t help but wonder what it foretells (especially as we’ve already had a head in a box.)

The music and sound design is great in this season (was great in S01 too)… this time even better stating the obvious. According to Season 1, I would guess that there will be a great showdon in Sioux Falls … Isn’t Kirsten Dunst heading to Sioux Falls, too ? I think the writers/directors will not drop the ball for this show, it is so well crafted… this is my favorite show at the moment. I will miss it when it’s over… After I finished Season 1 this summer I did not start season 2 until last week. I feared it would disappoint and kill the good impression I had of season 1. Until I checked this thread here… you guys are awesome!

They picked it up for a third season recently. I have no idea how long they can keep up this level of quality, but I’m thrilled they’re going to try.

Oh man, big time UFO references this this time around. I was completely expecting the “real” undertaker to be on the phone. Well played. “Don’t be offended if the next time I see you I don’t say hello before I shoot ya.”

— Alan

Between Fargo and The Leftovers completely crushing their sophomore seasons and Mr Robot this summer, I can’t remember a better run of incredible TV.

Question: how can Ed have the phone number of Milligan? The Gerhards are possibly in the phone directory… how would Ed know about Milligan at all?

I had that same thought when it happened. I just don’t see how he would have his number. To me it’s a misstep in an otherwise near flawless series.

I suspect there’s more at play here than we know.

Haven’t two days passed since the prior episode? Seems like Ed has had an eventful time, and I imagine it’ll be addressed in the next episode what’s happened and how he got the number.