Farming Simulator 22: This time it's seasonal

Beast of a mulcher:

9m working width, 21mph.

Looks like we finally have the definitive autoload mod for FS22:

Fantastic. I can get rid of the specific ones I have loaded, two of which I hate.

I’m still playing on Hobo’s Hollow. I’ve slowly bought all the gear I need for multiple fields which I now own. I still don’t really have a farmhouse, nor have I created a parking area and barns for my own. Instead, due to proximity I overtook the animal dealer’s lot as my own, and placed a large multifruit silo nearby with all my vehicles.

Still having a lot of fun with the game it’s a very relaxing time waster type of game. Like Truck Simulator in that regard.

Still waiting on Precision Farming to jump back in. Only a few more days!

Thought I’d spend this morning getting Autodrive and Courseplay set up so I’m ready for when PF hits. They certainly seem slicker than I remember in FS19. Also had a look at Calmsden Farm to familiarise myself with sell points etc. Has anyone here played it? It seems a bit weird in that, unlike most maps, starting on medium seems to keep all the farm buildings that you get in easy, which I like, while easy gives you way too much farmland, so I don’t really want to do that. And it seems like you can use eg the animal pastures without owning the farmland, which feels a bit cheaty. Is that right? And is there anything other than equipment missing on medium vs easy?

Also, unfortunately, it looks like at least on this map you can’t sell the products of that Seed Potato mod in the default sell points, so you’d have to build a new sell point if you wanted to do that production chain. To be honest, the buildings are so big it would look a bit out of place on Calmsden Farm anyway, definitely more suited to an open American map.Another downside is there don’t seem to be any built in routes that Autodrive is picking up (so presumably helpers won’t be able to drive places automatically either).

Edit: Actually, looks like the helpers do work, so not sure why Autodrive isn’t able to pick up the routes.

Edit 2: Found a pre-configured Autodrive route network for it. Sweet!

I started it on hard, which gave nothing but was strange because you get the house but no other land, not the animal pens, nor the storage shed (which needs cleaning.) But this was before Autodrive and Courseplay and the tight lanes and low headlands took me on to another map. I too noticed the lack of sell points but I can make a great recommendation for that:

Sell Everything mod on modhub (under the sell points section.) For $1000 you place what looks like a grain dump grate somewhere. It becomes a sell point for anything you put in or place on it, etc. It costs $1000 but on other maps I simply have put it where the normal sell point is, only around the corner a bit so that its differentiated and you have room to pull a truck to it. The game will even use it in missions occasionally telling you to sell things at that point.

Some tips for it:

• Name the sell point after you place it, one of the two icons allows that. So something like “name of that location” Sell All.

• It doesn’t pay any more or less than other sell points on the map (for any difficulty) so be sure and still look up the best places to sell your product when it’s time.

• You make no money from it but it has no upkeep. Think of it as you going to a business owner and saying, “I’ll give you $1000 if you’ll let me sell my stuff here.”

• You could also place it on land you own but let’s be honest, it’s fixing the ability to sell things the map does have included (for me,) not allowing my laziness to completely take over and just roll from my field over to my own sell point on the farm.

Where’d you find the pre-configured autodrive routes?

It’s on all the somewhat dodgy mod sites, eg Autodrive route network Calmsden Farm v1.1 FS22 - Farming Simulator 22 Mod | FS22 mod . I couldn’t find an official source. The labels for the waypoints are in German, but that’s an easy fix.

That’s what I was expecting medium to be, to be honest. Are the buildings like the animal pens there but you have to purchase them, or are they not on the map at all? I’d kind of like to build up from scratch, but I like the buildings and don’t want to have to place them.

Any recommendations for if I want to jump into this? How should I start?

Looks like I got FS19 free in a humble bundle or something, and you guys are making FS22 sound totally awesome. Are they comparable, or should I just ditch 19 and go straight to 22?

They are there if you want to purchase them. I don’t remember the costs though TBH. Since I didn’t buy them, I’m assuming the feed stations still work if you buy them?

Hey man! It’s a great and relaxing game. The best way to get started is to jump in feet first. The default starter map is Elm Creek. That’s where the very short tutorial is and probably the best map to get a feel for the game. There is a decent writeup on Giant’s game site for the game and there is an in-game link to that. However, as someone that just started the game with FS22, YouTube has been my friend. There are a TON of, “how to play,” series as well as a lot more in depth things when you get the feel for it but don’t understand X crop or Y crop or what Z machine does, etc.

If you’ve played any of the Truck Simulators, it’s similar. The challenge is to you to make money, get more gear to make more money, get more land to make more money, own production chains to make more money, etc. It’s not a pushy game, you don’t die, you can go broke but the borrowing rules are pretty lax, etc. It’s nice and easy and perfect on a Sunday morning. It takes a bit to get rolling with it and understand crop cycles, taking missions from other farms, raising animals, small secrets to recurring revenue, etc.

A quick mention this game has TONS of mods, most are available right there in game via the mod hub, you pick what you want to get, it downloads and you restart and can select those for any game you’re already in or any new game, and you can have multiple games going at once from the start menu screen.

I never played FS19 but there is a huge following and huge mod community for it. FS22 took some of the modded content and incorporated it into the new game from what I understand. It also has better base graphics, again, just from what I understand. Beyond that, if money isn’t the issue, may as well jump on the newer platform. But since you got 19 for free, maybe try it first?

A starter series:

A quick start guide:

Giant’s own tutorial writeups:

Awesome thanks much! I’ll check those out. Seems like the perfect thing after the intensity of Elden Ring over the past couple of months

I would probably play FS19 first and see how you like it. FS22 is better in most respects, but not dramatically so (and at least until Precision Farming comes out, is in some ways weaker than modded FS19). The main things it adds, other than a handful of new, mostly annoying crops, are production chains and seasons as a base game thing - the latter are based on, but more simplistic than, the excellent Seasons mod for FS19 (and previous versions). Production chains are OK, but they’re pretty simple and probably not worth paying full price for when you’ve already got FS19.

Can’t vouch for the site, but this has routes for several maps, apparently translated (but maybe into French):

Skipper has covered the basics, and I’d definitely recommend checking out the YT channels of MrSealyP, Farmer Klein and/or Farmer Cop if you want details on any specific aspect.

In terms of starting out, I’d maybe recommend turning off seasons for your very first play so that you can go through one crop stage every in-game day and learn the ropes a bit quicker that way (don’t forget the game has time acceleration!). Similarly you may want to turn off some or all of the field work requirements (periodic ploughing, field stones, lime) to simplify things, though I think you’ll still have to do them the first time anyway to get rid of the map markings. Don’t over extend yourself early on with equipment. If you’re starting on easy, your farm should come with all you need to do some basic crops like canola or wheat. Pay attention to the help window with the keybinds as that’s often where useful prompts will appear, and you can get an idea of what functions are available on each piece of equipment (don’t forget ‘g’ to switch between tools). And a good way to earn money early on is to take on contracts that you can do with the equipment you have. Fertilising and (now that it’s been fixed) harvesting are probably the best for the time investment, and you can even just set a worker to do them (go to the field, press ‘h’) while you work on your own farm, but it will cost you money.

Looks like imma hafta put on my overalls and get my hands dirty. Thanks, and Happy Easter!

Same to you, Rex. Plant some Easter eggs!

Speaking of which, once you have grain production up and running, chickens are a money making machine, with a very low setup cost, so I’d recommend doing that. And greenhouses.

Oh, wait, sorry, that advice only applies to Matt W. Not sure how profitable eggs were in FS19. I remember them being a hassle.

To add to that:

Chickens (you’ll need wheat and some sort of method to haul pallets, like a utility trailer):

• Buy a chicken coop.
  • Fill the coop with wheat (which is what they eat,) using wheat you grow and dumping it from the trailer you get that you empty the harvester from.
  • Buy chickens, whatever type, the older the better as that means they lay more eggs and breed from the get go if you don’t want to pay to fill up the whole coop.
  • Then just wait. Each month they chickens will lay eggs in partial or full pallets. You can take those pallets to any buy point that accepts eggs.
  • Unlike real eggs, those things can sit on those pallets forever without going bad, so you can time your egg sales until the price is high for the year.

Greenhouses (you’ll want a water trailer and a water fill-up, which the Elm Creek starter farm has):

• Buy a greenhouse of whatever size and place it on your farm somewhere.
  • Haul the water trailer over to the water fill-up and hit the key to fill it with water, you’ll get a small cost for the water.
  • Pull the trailer over to the greenhouse to the info point for it until you see the key show up to fill the greenhouse. Fill it up (this might take multiple trips initially.)
  • Go to the production menu and select the greenhouse. Select all three of the outputs and set them to “sell,” it’s the easiest way and you’ll have a small monthly income you get for it. Select which crop you want the greenhouse to make, then, “activate.”
  • Each month you’ll have a small production income as the greenhouse continues to grow product and auto sell it each month as long as you keep water in the greenhouse.

If there’s a pond on your map (there are several near the farm on Elm Creek), you can get it for free by backing up the trailer into it until you get the fill prompt.

Re: Courseplay, I don’t think it ever occurred to me to use it in FS19 to do baling. You just use the same course as your harvester/mower. What a godsend!