Farming Simulator 22: This time it's seasonal

Are you talking about the concrete things that you have to compress the grass into? Or the tall silos, comparable to the ones used for grain, oat and all the other crops basically? As far as I can tell, none of the latter explicitly state they are capable of changing grass into silage. But I may very well have missed it, will look again!

No, the former. There are mod versions of the latter.

ah, ok, I did find those and even build one, but my trailer refused to unload the grass in it, so I figured I used the wrong trailer and loaded a save to buy the baler/wrapper instead. Thanks for the info!

Last question: can you add mods to an existing game? Or do you have to start over?

This is most likely because you didn’t own it, but just in case, there are two types of unloading in the game, one with “i”, which you use for trigger points, and one with “Ctrl-i”, which you use to dump stuff on the ground. I’m pretty sure silage bunkers use “Ctrl-i”.

Yes, you can. It asks you at the start of each game session which mods you want to load in.

Well, I build it, so I ought to own it, right? :-). Probably did use the wrong controls. But I don’t mind, because I remember it was a pain to get the silage out of the bunker afterwards, so I prefer a (mod-)silo anyway. Even more so if I can add that to an existing game! Thanks!

So, the way this works, at least with the starting harvester, is that you get close enough to the tree for the cutting highlight to appear. Then you get an option to “align harvester to target tree”. Then you hold ‘o’, and it does exactly that. After that it’s the same as before. Press x to chop the tree, then x again to strip the branches and cut to length.

Unfortunately, at least with the starting trailer, loading logs is still a pain in the arse, so I’m autoloading for now. Once I’ve got some cash built up, I will give the new containers a try (not least because it seems the container warehouse pays the most for logs), as they seem to be sort of semi-auto loaders, in that they “grab” the logs once you get them close enough to the door.

Some initial Silverrun learnings:

The (old) sawmill doesn’t have a typical unload point. You dump the logs in the pond next to the mill, then, at least until you buy it, manually trigger it to buy the wood.

You are going to want to buy it ASAP however, not least because it can only hold 110k litres of logs, so you won’t be able to sell any more after a few trips. You can sell off map, however.

Speaking of selling, the rollercoaster and I assume the boatyard acts like a sellpoint, in that you get money for contributing to the construction. I haven’t tested to see how the prices compare to other sellpoints, but FWIW I got about 120k (on Easy economy) for a fully loaded low-loader of assorted sawmill products.

At least on New Farmer mode, the iron mine has some vehicles which you can use, but which you don’t own and can’t tab to. If you have the parking mod, though, you can unpark them and you’ll be able to tab to them. Same for a forklift in the New Sawmill.

It doesn’t seem like you can distribute from your productions to the new construction projects (maybe the boatyard if you buy it).

Oh wow that reminded me. @mjgreeny75 you might want to look up either some autoload modded trailers, or I believe there is a mod called superstrength or similar. That one allows you to hold a key then left click and you can pick up really heavy objects, making it easy to clean up messes or pallets or whatever if you have trouble loading things. The autoload trailers allow you to one click load anything nearby of a certain type, then one click to strap things down as well (if they don’t auto-strap too.)

Yeah, I’d go as far as to say that Super Strength is essential if you’re not a total purist, and some form of autoload is pretty much essential unless you want to play forklift simulator, although with super strength you can do pallet loading pretty easily.

Took a quick look at the official mods, and that is indeed a peace of cake! I will dive deeper into that (if only I can find the time for more than 30 minutes, which unfortunately isn’t going to be anytime soon…). Didn’t spot the ‘turn grass into silage’ silo though, so I guess that’s not an official mod then?

Are you console or PC?

Anyway, not sure which if any are available on console, but search for “fermenting” in the modhub and you may see some options.

After a day of Platinum/Silverrun, I think I kind of hate it?

If you’re super into forestry, it’s probably a good expansion, but Silverrun is all about the forestry (and a tiny bit of very simplistic mining) and it’s not clear what if any of the good stuff about it other than vehicles/equipment is going to be usable in other maps or by mod developers (certainly without mods it seems a lot of the new productions don’t work outside Silverrun).

I really hope the construction project thing is usable by modders, because if not it’s an almost completely pointless expansion for me. Even in Silverrun, it’s really severely time-gated, which is super annoying as one of the big attractions of forestry is that you’re not tied to the crop calendar. But if you’re constantly waiting for the projects to process stuff you’ve delivered, that benefit disappears.

Oh well, on to Hof Bergmann!

Here are some of the ones we’ve mentioned you can search for:

• Under the Gameplay category, Lumberjack gives super strength and makes cutting trees a hell of a lot easier.
  • Under the Silos category, this is the version of fermenting silos I use, these have a plain version, an American flag version and a Canadian flag version. There are three sizes of silo, small, medium and large and though they process the same grass to silage in the same time, the capacity of them gets bigger with the bigger version.

Ooh, apparently there’s a crop rotation mod now.

Stumbled across the YT channel of a guy who does extremely thorough Autodrive networks for loads of mod maps (including Hof Bergmann). Definitely check it out.

Hell yes! Nice find!

Trying to start a new game in platinum and I have no clue what the new map name is, and too many user made maps. Truly a first world problem.

Silverrun

Found it, thanks man!

This guy gives a good first look at what you get on easy mode:

On the cheatier end of things, there’s now an unrealistic capacity root crop harvester available:

Might give it a whirl just to see if it handles any better than the base game potato harvesters. It looks like it’s articulated.