Farming Simulator 22: This time it's seasonal

Is that the most expensive one? If so, that explains why it’s sooooo much more expensive than the second most expensive despite only being slightly wider. I had suspected it had more functionality I wasn’t aware of, and this would explain it :)

Yep, it is the most expensive mower/s. It’s also more so in that you really need both.

I added some nice new hardware over the weekend and this week:

The top tier John Deere X9 1100 harvester. I spent way too much money on this bad boy but I bought it for very specific reasons: more hold tank, faster movement around the map when not harvesting, better mobility with the tracks. For those it’s a win, but the money spent here only delays me getting a specialized harvester for other items.

I also added a new medium tractor to the garage, the Duetz-Fahr Series S TTV HD, the black Warrior version. It’s fast, good mid-tier HP and it’s black, so yeah.

I also expanded the plots owned a bit to try to pad the area around the farm:

I wasn’t happy with headland around those shitty plots and have been doing extensive tree and brush removal and a bit of earth moving too. It’s given the farm a different kind of look from the road.

Nice pics Skipper!

Perfect rows with the help of that wonderful GPS mod mentioned above!

Obviously I’m doing a lot of grass work. Silage is easy to make, grows most of the year and sells well. Perfect for an in debt farmer.

I found the modes on the mowers last night, I’ll be using it today as my grass pasture field should come due for a run. That field you’re in looks HUGE. I have no idea how you don’t go bonkers mowing that.

If GPS mod helped with running the baler I’d be okay but that is 100% a manual process. The AI doesn’t touch it either. Picking up the bales afterward is also manual. I’m assuming you might be running just a pickup trailer over that instead? That’s a lot of grass to process for silage.

If you’re mowing that much, you’re probably better off with a forage wagon and bunker than wrapping bales

Except bunkers are bugged and you can never get all of the silage out of them :|

I’m using 40, 41, 42, 43 as a single field. Yes it is bonkers. Whats worse is rolling. But, I listen to an audio book or podcast while also working on a different laptop. You can see at the end field the last harvest stacked.

Ginger, I tried that but the Biomass bunkers would not take my foraged grass. I just assumed it must be “chaff” not grass. So I just sold grass until I could afford a baler and wrapper. Either way I need bales for cows when I can afford them.

Skipper, By using the offsets from the mower wouldn’t the GPS work if you set the offsets manually?
I bailed that manually but I had considered trying the GPS next time.

I don’t think you can use the pre-built bunkers unless you buy the facility. But you can place your own pretty cheaply.

Not really. You can suck up silage from your bunker with a wagon.

Ah, good to know Ginger thanks!

I grew up in the midwest during the 70s and 80s. I worked on more than a few farms always as labor.
Baling was an exhausting part of the job. The great thing about this game is I finally get to drive that fucking tractor!

I have yet to try it. Sounds like a plan for the weekend though.

Patch is here:

https://forum.giants-software.com/viewtopic.php?f=876&t=185237

Some nice fixes in there

New field states on the map:

Not 100% sure what the brown weed state is, because as far as I can tell those are weeds I have killed with herbicide, but it might fix itself after a harvest cycle.

Oh for crying out loud! Why are eggs too heavy to manually pick up now? An unnecessary and bad change in my opinion.

Apparently they’ve increased the capacity of pallets. Everything requires a vehicle now. Or it does if you’re not using Super Strength in the Power Tools mod.

SQUATS! This aint a big deal but it’s silly. We’re talking about eggs I’m going to sell to the greasy spoon across the street. It’s the reason I even bought the pickup.

Well, if it’s one of those pallets with about 40 boxes of eggs on them, I can understand why you cannot pick it up manually, annoying though that may be.

Some initial thoughts/impressions from the patch:

Honey pallet spawn bug seems to have been fixed, hooray!

So does the sunflower oil price. May give up on sugar entirely and do sunflower oil instead, as those cane harvests are really slowing the game down

The field info panel is very handy. I learned from it that there’s a sub-type of weeder (new to FS22?) called a hoe, which does more types of weeds than a conventional weeder. It seems there’s only one in the base game, weirdly. But anyway it should help with the fast weeds from direct drills.

Conversely, the new field states on the map aren’t all that helpful at the moment. I still don’t know why they have that brown state - it definitely seems to mean “you have killed weeds with herbicides”, but in that case why show it at all. Unless there’s some requirement to remove dead weeds somehow? If so, that’s definitely new. More generally, the masking priority is all messed up, which means you have to do a bunch of manual toggling and it’s easy to miss important info. Mulched should be lowest priority but isn’t. Weeding is appropriately high, but the brown weeded state means it often blocks other states unnecessarily. My grass field is still showing “needs rolling” even though I’ve used a meadow roller and as far as I know you can’t use a conventional roller on grass.

Pricing now seems to follow the seasonal pattern correctly, which is good, but it also means that there’s much less variation between sell points (except Goldcrest Valley), which means it’s harder to make money throughout the year. Could be a big hit to greenhouse profitability as well, as those are hard to store.

Too early to tell what the changes to repair cost mean in practice

Quadtrac hooray!

Mostly good patch but what’s with the ? icons on the map with info. I can’t seem to make them go away. I feel like I’m playing World of Warcraft and there is always a quest giver around the corner.

I’m all over the place figuring out the crop state icon changes. I still have weeding and stones off here but I still get state changes for mulching, cultivating, lime, seeding, fertilizing, rolling, fertilizing x2. All that shit having an effect now is going to keep us busy.

AI workers for spray fertilizer are still baffling. They will miss about 20-30 feet of one side of the field, consistently. That seems like a bug.

Anyone here grown sorghum? Can I do anything with the growth after harvest? I thought I could make chaff or something but none of my tools do anything with it. Does this shit need a forestry harvester? Gah.

I can’t tell how bad profitability is overall but it’s hit me on silage. With bales I need to get them sold fairly quickly. I had two auto-pickup trailers I would cycle on mow days which gave me a pretty good padding of sell pricing. Not anymore. This is a big hit to silage so far. I’ll have to see where it settles out but I cannot keep bales all year just for a month of selling. The in-game bale limit is 200.