Farming Vader: talking the talk

Title Farming Vader: talking the talk
Author Rudy Basso
Posted in Game diaries
When February 11, 2012

Every game genre develops its own language and terminology over time. These words make no sense to anyone outside of fans of that genre; your mom isn't going to know what turtling is, unless she's one of those cool moms that plays RTS games..

Read the full article

EQ was my first MMO. I think it took me over 18 months to learn the vernacular. I tend to learn things the hard way. Train to zone?! What the hell is.... AHHH! Loading. Please wait...

What's train to zone mean?

And anyone that has any other terms I may have missed, please share them and their meanings!

In EQ, the world was broken up into zones with entrance and exit sections where you hit a loading screen and enter into the new zone. Monsters wouldn't eventually give up on you back then, so you had to enter a new zone or area where they couldn't follow. In STWOR, it'd be like having to run back and transition to the starship (or whatever it's called) to flee an encounter on the PvE planets.

"Train to zone" was a warning to players near those entrance/exit points of a map. When the player being chased disappeared from the zone as they hit the transition, the monsters would attack whoever happens to be standing nearby. Since players lost XP when they died in EQ, that was particularly bad.

Peel is a new word to me. Aggro is a term I might add, though that's the one of the first many players learn.

Aggro means to gain the attention of a monster through proximity or damage.

"I've got aggro, help!."

Pull is another term, which means one person gains aggro for the purposes of bringing a mob or group to the party so they can fight in a more safe position.

"Pull the group on the right."

Body pull is a specific kind of pull where a player tries to get close enough to a group of mobs in attempt to aggro only some of them and then run back to the party with them. In some MMOs a ranged attack might aggro more mobs than a carefully used body pull. Body pulls tend to be tricky and I'm not sure if it's still used.

"I'm going to try to just body pull just that wandering one."

edit: Argh,.. "a safer position" and "I'm going to just pull that wandering one." I'm sorry about my weak editing skills.

DPS = role that focuses on dealing damage
Healer = role that focuses on healing damage
Tank = role that focuses on forcing enemies to damage him and not others, and on mitigating said damage

WTB = want to buy
WTS = want to sell
WTT = want to trade
LFW = looking for work (i.e. looking for someone who needs items you can craft and is willing to pay a fee)

Taunt = tank ability that causes an enemy to attack only you for some time and/or sets your threat to the one of the player having the highest threat

Stun = CC that prevents all actions and doesn't break on damage (and is usually short)
Sheep (also, just "CC" usually refers to this in PvE) = CC that prevents all actions but breaks on damage (and is usually long)
Snare = CC that slows down movement
Silence = CC that prevents spell casting
(Root = CC that prevents movement)
Knockback = ability that causes the enemy to be propelled away from the player

DR = diminishing returns on CC or taunt abilities, meaning that successive abilities in a short period last less and eventually the target becomes immune
DR = diminishing returns on stats, meaning that the effects of the stat grow sublinearly with the stat amount (e.g. often used for block/dodge, so you can't become invulnerable)

Pull = action that makes the monsters aware of you
Body pull = pull done by just walking into the monsters
LoS pull = pull immediately followed by hiding behind a corner, to get enemies to come together and close to you, rather than stand back scattered and fling ranged attacks

LoSsing = breaking line of sight (e.g. hiding behind a pillar)

Prepotting = using a potion just before pulling, so that you can use
another in combat (for games where you have a limit on the number of
potions usable withing a fight and that don't reset potion effects upon
entering combat)

Multidotting = applying DoTs on several targets, so that they tick simultaneously, resulting in higher damage that would be possible with a single target

meter = DPS/HPS meter
parse/log/combat log = log detailing the actions of the raid, often used
to compute worldwide DPS/HPS ranking if the boss was killed, and to
figure out what can be improved if it wasn't

WoL = World of Logs, popular WoW site where users upload combat logs

Meter padding = performing useless actions for the sole purpose of increasing your DPS rankings on meters (usually using multidotting on targets that aren't useful to damage)

FC = flag carrier (in capture-the-flag PvP)
EFC = enemy flag carrier
capping = capturing a node (in PvP)
trinketing = removing CC on you by using a high cooldown ability, often (but not necessarily) provided by an equipped PvP trinket item
fake casting = starting a cast and cancelling it, for the purpose of making an enemy waste an interrupt, or otherwise waste resources to respond to it or just be confused
focusing = concentrating attacks (and burst cooldowns) on a single enemy, in the hope of killing him or otherwise causing the enemy to expend resources

There's also PBAOE, which means Point Blank Area of Effect. "The boss is about to drop his PBAOE, everybody get away from him!"

I first encountered this term in Dark Age of Camelot, but I will admit that I don't see it used as much anymore, even though it's a common boss mechanic.

Though not an acronym, "Don't Stand in the Fire" is a common shorthand to denote a boss mechanic where there's a ground-targeted AOE component that people need to move out of in order to avoid massive damage.

"DPS Check" or "Gear Check" are terms that are often used to refer to bosses with fairly short enrage timers, or any other mechanic that makes the fight increasingly difficult over time. It means that the fight is designed as a gateway to keep out groups where the DPS doesn't have enough gear to down the boss's hitpoints before the timer pops.

Zones are the areas in which everything is happening real time and not separated. Like, say, your current planet or FP. In the good 'ole bad days of EQ some guy would get more than he could handle and run to the zone transition (although some people did this intentionally). Shuttle, if you will. The angry mobs followed him all the way. In EQ when the guy leaves the zone the angry mob doesn't zap back to their home location. Oh, no. They go after whomever is closest. They loot and riot. It's ugly. Thankfully, these days most mobs are "tethered". They only chase a certain distance before they stop and go home. Imagine if you took the shuttle to a world only to be greeted by 15 angry denizens out for blood left by some guy who just left on a previous shuttle. That is a zone train.

The first month of EQ I didn't put together what the mobs waiting at the door had to do with learning new skills. Why is training bad?! Go back to get new skills. Why should I run from that? Yeah, I learn slow.

Expanding on this one a bit:

DPS: Damage Per Second. Represents the sustained amount of damage a character can put out. Different from 'burst damage' in that DPS is a longer-term measurement (for instance, over the entire fight) whereas burst is, well, a burst of activity (for instance, the lifespan of a single enemy).

HPS: Healing Per Second. The same thing as DPS, but for healing.