FarmVille buys the farm

Title FarmVille buys the farm
Author Nick Diamon
Posted in News
When September 28, 2020

FarmVille, one of the first games to hit it big on Facebook, is done. Zynga posted the bad news to its fans and informed them that although the game will remain playable until the end of the year, no in-app purchases will be allowed past November 17th..

Read the full article

I haven’t looked at it in years, but I guess this is the end for my virtual commercial hog farm. I had each pen completely filled with hogs, no empty space at all. I placed various satirical signs around, like the one next to the extremely small waste pond that said, “Our lobbyists made sure that this pond size is legal, sorry about the waste runoff.” It made tons of Farmbucks (or whatever the in-game currency was called), but it was such a PITA to click on all the densely-packed hogs that I couldn’t get my family to go collect from it even in the height of their Farmville obsession.

Hey guys, I could use some help fertilizing my crops!

I have wood, but I need a sheep.

How the hell ie Zynga still a thing? Have they had any big hits in the past 5 years?

Acquisition of smaller devs with a big hit is more their MO these days than churning out their own original properties. As a result, they aren’t always listed as the developer of their biggest hits - at the moment, I think their hottest property is likely Empires & Puzzles, which they acquired by buying out Small Giant Games.

That said, they do some in house stuff still - I think Game of Thrones Slots is one of their original bangers, for example, which is likely making a good amount of money.

The only good thing about playing Catan anymore is being able to say, “I’ve got wood for sheep.”

I know of a couple of pretty powerful investment brokerages that consider them (and not without reason) a top 50 player in the TMT sector.

There’s an improv group in Seattle called “Wood for Sheep.” Thank you, now I finally understand both contexts of their name.