Farthest Frontier - City builder from Grim Dawn developer

The rumors were true!

Looks very pretty. City builders are not really my genre anymore though. Last one I played was the original Caesar. Some of these features sound intriguing though.

From the Steam Page:

Protect and guide your people as you forge a town from untamed wilderness at the edge of the known world. Harvest raw materials, hunt, fish and farm to sustain your advancing town. Produce craft items for villagers to trade, consume, equip and fight with as you battle for your survival against the elements and outside threats.

Key Features

• Harvest, Grow, Craft - Harvest raw materials, forage for food, grow crops and craft dozens of items to consume, equip, trade and defend your town with. Over 60 items total.
  • Build and Advance - Construct 50 different buildings as you grow your town from a fledgling settlement to a bustling city. Your town center and housing will advance through multiple tiers as the prosperity and desirability of your town increases. Upgrade production buildings to increase efficiency and enable production of more advanced items.
  • Fend Off Would-Be Invaders - Progress from wood palisades to stone walls, build towers and barracks, recruit and equip soldiers in the defense of your town as rising prosperity attracts the attention of raiders seeking plunder.
  • Most Detailed Farming System Ever - Choose from a variety of crops with different characteristics and configure crop rotations to maintain soil fertility, avoid heat and frost damage, and prevent the accumulation of diseases. Cultivate your fields to improve them over time and provide the ideal growing conditions for your crops.
  • All Them Old-Timey Diseases! - Ensure your villagers have clean water to stop outbreaks of dysentery and cholera. Collect berries and plant greens to prevent scurvy. Make sure villagers are properly shoed and clothed to reduce chances of contracting tetanus and rabies. Perhaps most importantly, manage rodent populations by collecting waste, securely storing food and employing rat catchers to ward off the feared bubonic plague. Over a dozen exciting ailments and diseases to contract!
  • Environmental Interaction - Develop your economy based on which resources are locally abundant and produce items for trade to acquire that which you lack. Erect fencing to keep deer away from crop fields and stop bears from raiding food storage. Manage tree cover to prevent underground water supplies from drying up. Balance the need to clear land for agriculture around vital natural resources like wild growing medicinal plants and forage items.

Don’t know about this screenshot though. Woah. That’s a lot of different types of materials.

I love classic City Builders, but I’m not sure this game will be for me (crafting, ugh). I’ve wishlisted this to keep it on my radar and would like to support the developer.

Now I just need a way to import my Grim Dawn characters as farmers.

I love Grim Dawn, but I’ve never really been into city builders. Oh well.

Is this another way to say cats? If not, add cats.

I agree that this would make for a more interesting setting. On the bright side, using the Grim Dawn setting would mean all your buildings would be partially made out of corrugated metal, very much ruining the quaint medieval town aesthetic

It’s a job title. Chasseur de rats.

I think it looks great and will buy it day one.

I super don’t want the GD aesthetic in my city builder.

I’ll reserve judgment until I see more. Right now, nothing there sounds all that exciting.

I’m getting strong Banished vibes.

Missed opportunity to combine a GD like game, into a city builder in my opinion. Have the usual run of the mill citizens doing all the grunt work of city building/farming etc, and then have one hero character in charge of slaying monsters, and dealing with bosses.

I mean, city builders are notorious studio-killers. Trying to shoehorn two genres into one game is a whole nother layer.

Also maybe the folks at Crate want to do something else after making TQ and GD for the last 15 years ;)

I really can’t tell what’s intended to set this one apart from the thousand other city builders out there. Farming realism?

Yeah, that’s the bullet point that stood out to me over the others.

Most Detailed Farming System Ever

They could do what Sakuna Of Rice and Ruin did and combine a good ARPG with a city builder that feeds into the ARPG loop. Would probably get more “unique points”, much like Sakuna did.

I haven’t found any of recent (last couple of years) city builders to be anything special. It just needs to be good.

Yeah, that might interest me (My Time at Port Valbury?), but I generally have no interest in the minutiae of city builders.

Anno 1800 disagrees. Or at least I do. ;)

As soon as it comes out on Steam, I will find that out for myself. (Except it looks like that is never going to happen).

I didn’t even know it was out yet. I’ll also pick it up when it’s available to me.

Get it on UPlay (or Ubisoft Connect, or whatever the name is these days). You need to connect to Ubi anyway, so might as well buy from them. ;)

But it’s probably the best Anno ever, and the best city builder I’ve played since the Impressions days. I love it.

They should have made a Stardew Valley like game. It could have the ultra realistic farming and crafting they have in Farthest Frontier, but also has dungeon crawling so their fanbase has a connection to this new one. I would also love the option to romance townsfolk in the Grim Dawn universe.