Farthest Frontier - City builder from Grim Dawn developer

Mostly I like the art in the screenshots and I’m so damn impressed with Crate from GD.

Just reading the description, sure nothing sounds amazing, but it sounds good. Plus as I said earlier, I just want a good city builder. It doesn’t need to be revolutionary, just fun (and pretty). So a city builder by a company I really like, here’s my money.

The screenshots do look pretty enticing and all I really need is a competent city builder that can perhaps go toe to toe with Anno or Settlers.

I don’t want Grim Dawn combat in this, I don’t want to romance Grim Dawn characters, or really any way of sneaking in Grim Dawn 2.0 into the design docs for this game. :-)

Is there anything in particular you’re struggling to do/find out what I can help with, or is it just a general objection to its current state? I agree it could be better, but for me it was worth plowing through for the game under it, because the overall feel is unique in the city builder genre right now, at least amongst what I’ve played.

Everyone’s preferences and priorities differ, though, and that’s fine. :)

My biggest current gripe is the lack of any hotkeys for the various info panels. Especially since I’ve upgraded to a 4k screen and need to go alllll the way to the bottom to do anything.

But a

I find the million small, almost invisible buttons to be rather annoying - Its reminicscent of the Amiga UI I find and not intuitive at all.

Its just a major turnoff the moment I enter the game. Hell, I tried again last night, and couldn’t even find the menu to exit the game for a full minute? Turns out, it was in the top right corner??? The size of a pixel.

But, thankfully, as others have mentioned, it seems to be the next major path, so hopefully that will do something for me!

Yes? :-D

haha, I’m not sure what I was planning on saying there. I think that may have been a leftover from a train of thought getting derailed

And yeah, I can definitely get the complaints. I’m glad there’s supposed to be a UI update coming soon, and hopefully it’ll help more people get into it. :)

Trailer. 10 types of crops. 50 building types.

i dont recall seeing walls as a feature in city builders before, or did Settlers 7 hsve them?

It looks pretty, for sure, and seems to have a solid foundation as a builder. I’m always a bit bemused by these sorts of games though. Like many, this is clearly modeled on some variation of the American frontier, making me wonder about indigenous peoples. I mean, by the time humans were able to make wagons and head out into parts unknown to plant crops and chop down trees and what not, there weren’t too many areas they could go into without running into folks who were already there. Games have a difficult time dealing with that sort of thing, as they either lump all indigenous people into the “barbarian” category and make them a convenient military foe, ignore them, or make them into passive random events.

Yeah, I know, it’s not a historical sim nor is it necessary for every game to engage with every aspect of its potential subject, but it would be interesting indeed to get a non-indie type game that seriously engaged the concept of settlement vs. invasion. Still, I might get this, as it looks pretty slick.

I feel you. That’s why I’m glad there aren’t any games where you kill people.

Caesar IV had walls. I think that besides the Stronghold series, I’ve seen city walls in other games. I think CivCity Rome might’ve. Pretty sure Grand Ages Rome did.

Not sure why this dismissive comment was necessary. It’s not like there aren’t approximately 10,000 city builders out there and maybe one could deal with the actual implications of “taming” the frontier, as this always in real history has involved displacing native populations. As you say, not everything has to be realistic, but by the same token not everything has to be ahistorical nonsense.

I’ve always wanted a game that lets me win by doing Europe-America contact (or a fantastical analog) “right.” Colonization and Imperialism let you do something besides straight up murder the native peoples, but it’s still very paternalistic/exploitative at best.

I dunno, if I had a great idea I’d pitch it. But I’ve always felt that would be a cool space to explore.

It would be interesting to see an America were 90% of the population wasn’t wiped out by disease from first contact, the Incan Empire slaughtered the Spanish invaders, but were able to control silver trade with China, the Eastern Confederacies kept English encroachments on the east coast of the United States small and dependent on native largesse, the Americas evolved into a native-controlled world power, Africa likewise was less affected by the depredations of trade in sugar and slaves and Europe remained a benighted backwater. KSR’s The Years of Rice and Salt imagines a black death that decimates 99% of Europe and the alternate history that might result.

Some folks get it :).

I like the sound of that, but I’m not imaginative enough to see what it would look like without being paternalistic or exploitative. It seems to me that it would be hard to have any “advanced” group moving into an area without that situation happening. I can’t think of any historical examples, anyway.

Maybe you could flip the power dynamic? Do something more like the germanic tribes moving into the declining Roman empire. The balancing act for the player would be to avoid assimilating too much and losing their tribal identity vs staying too separate and inviting getting stomped by the empire.

A YoR&S civ-builder would be kind of amazing.

thanks! I know I played one or two of the caesar games.