Farthest Frontier - City builder from Grim Dawn developer

Thats a nice guide, also look at this take my money now, screenshot:

I’m usually not a city builder kind of guy but Crate deserves my money. 600+ hours of Grim Dawn. This does look interesting. Day 1 purchase for me

Day 1 for me, too. This looks great.

Day 1 of early access or actual release? If Grim Dawn is any indication, we can expect a long wait. I might jump in on EA on the 9th though.

Day 1 of the full release! :)

I love the story about the animals wrecking the village until the one person who had an axe came to the fight.

So like 2024? :P

Grim Dawn was in early access for 2 years!

Maybe it was chest high.

Have they published any kind of roadmap for Early Access, or even what is left to do in EA? Grim Dawn launched into EA with maybe a quarter of the total content. They did feature work during EA too, but my recollection that most of the time was spent on adding new areas and higher level content, along with eventually redoing much of the artwork that was in the initial EA version.

Not sure Farthest Frontier will really compare to that as a city builder won’t have a bunch of linear content to add on.

None I am aware of. I am thinking it will be revealed on EA day.

To their credit, it was really good when I jumped in over a year before actual release.

Early Access definitely doesn’t have a standard. Early Access for Oxygen Not Included and RimWorld were both awesome and I have no regrets playing them. Others like Subnautica I had to put aside and wait until completion. Time will tell for FF.

He I loved that video.

The early to mid game looks very complete at this point and I suspect the EA build will be a newer one than the one provided to the streamers. Plus I trust Crate to deliver so I’m willing to plunk down my cash when is goes into EA. As a result I’m in on day one!

Yep, Grim Dawn is my most-played game on Steam, edging EU4 out by 60 hours. They’ve earned my day 1 early access money.

There is a good series by Raptor on Youtube that is decent, if people want to see the game in action. He is actually running two different series, one where he’s been streaming it and figuring out the game, and a more concise version where he’s trying to walk people through the game features and functions. The longer version is more interesting in that he’s actively trying to figure stuff out (but it’s waaaay longer).

In watching a few more playthroughs, I’m seeing a few rough edges that they can hopefully catch prior to EA. One of the biggest issues is that the building evolution is a bit out of whack - for instance you can make a Pub as a Tier 2 building, but it seems you can’t brew beer until you get to Tier 3. Likewise, you can set up an iron mine in T2, and there are a few buildings that require iron ingots, but you can’t make the forge (or whatever it’s called) to produce ingots until T3. Those production chains seem backward. Maybe it’s possible to remedy those issues by trading for the items (traders DO offer beer and ingots but I never saw anyone try to purchase them).

A second issue I’ve noticed is that while initial costs are displayed when you construct a building, the monthly cost is not shown. So you have to build a guard tower (at the cost of wood, stone, and gold) to find out the monthly upkeep is 8 gold. Likewise other more advanced buildings have a cost which you can’t find out about beforehand. Seems like a pretty important piece of info (and obviously something that can easily be fixed).

Haven’t seen any crashes or other game halting bugs though; the version being shown seems pretty stable. And even considering the above it appears quite playable.

At least this is the sort of game where EA makes sense for players, as it’s not a narrative or story-based game or a game with exploration of new places, etc. It’s a systems game where you will be doing the same thing again and again anyhow. Might check it out.

It is live on Steam in EA. $30.

I bought it just to support the devs but I don’t plan to jump in yet, since it’s still early. Will just fire it up and see how it looks and feels.

Even cheaper if you own Grim Dawn 25.49

I do own Grim Dawn, it still charged me $30. Was I supposed to go through their website or something?