Farthest Frontier - City builder from Grim Dawn developer

There is a bundle deal on the Steam page that reduces its price if you already own Grim Dawn.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/26169/Grim_Frontier_Collection/

Well, that sucks. I missed that deal.

I still see that price, what do you see?

Edit: oh you mean missed as in didn’t see it not that it ended

I bet you and LeeAbe could ask for a refund and then go for that deal instead. Right? I’m not super familiar with Steam Refunds, since I haven’t done it.

I could do the refund easy enough, but I am ok with giving them another $5.

I could, but I’m not going to bother for $5. Besides, Crate has given me hundreds of hours of entertainment with Grim Dawn. I can give them another Lincoln.

I’ve seen a few videos of some streamers playing it - it appears very solid and playable. Maybe a few issues here and there or perhaps it could use some optimizaiton but appears the game is quite playable in its current state (I’m guessing they will perhaps flesh out the building tree a bit and maybe add more stuff to do closer to the endgame, whatever that is).

It definitely needs a guided tutorial or something. Right now, a new game start just gives you a menu full of stuff once the initial town center is built with a trial-and-error approach to figuring out what you should be doing.

It supports 3440x1440 for those that care. The font was unreadable on some screens, but luckily scaling up the UI fixed that.

Tutorial is turned on, but it doesn’t provide much (any?) info yet.

Yeah, I got it with the Grim Dawn discount. The opening is opaque. I could not figure out how to give orders, so I have to I guess watch videos? Gotta up the UI scaling too because even at 1440p it is tiny.

Good points about needing some sort of initial tutorial to get you on your feet.

thanks, I would have missed that otherwise. the small extra discount overcame my inertia and i bought the game, but plan to hold off playing it

I refunded it. Not because it was bad–it looks really nice. But I found it pretty fiddly, somewhat opaque, and probably not the type of game I’d really get into. It seems to be very good at what it does (and setting the UI scaling to 150%, the max it seems to have really helped visibility). Despite knowing what it was going in, though, I was bouncing off it pretty hard. I’ll see how it shakes out after EA though.

I am the exact opposite. I just sunk a few hours into this like it was nothing. I can see myself playing this a hell of a lot just as it is. It doesn’t do anything revolutionary, and the graphics are not as good as say Anno, but it just nails the growth progression curve that makes a good city builder for me. I haven’t even got my first crop in yet - 1,300 labour is needed just to plant a field!

It takes forever to create a map on my laptop.

And the first one I got into had only two lakes. Very little water anywhere else. So I rerolled it. And ended up in a map with zero lakes visible at the start. Sigh.

Oh, yeah, I’m sure it scratches the itch for a builder fan for sure. I think I should have paid more attention to the videos and stuff before EA probably. I don’t have the patience I suppose any more for this sort of thing.

Been playing the heck out of it. Had some save game issues (some disappeared) but I’ve been monitoring the save game folder and so far so good today. Coming off Against The Storm (which plays somewhat similarly) the lack of Tutorial wasn’t fatal. Great game if you’re looking for a challenging Medieval-y builder.

That sounds like you’ve got a very large field. From what I’ve seen it’s better to have a couple of smaller fields versus one gigantic one. Partly because smaller fields can be cleared faster, and also because when you get the field into production and are practicing crop rotation, you can have one field lying fallow while you grow beans or whatever on a different field. So you’ll always have some crop coming in.

The fields need a lot of Labor to get going - usually a few months to a year to clear. But after that it doesn’t require anything to keep working…

You are correct that you’re not forced to do maintenance once the field is in production. However, for working fields there is a “farmer action” you can select that I believe is them clearing rocks from the field. Guessing this will affect the fertility of the field.