Fascism thinks like Halliburton and talks like Bush

Liberalism vs. Fascism by Roderick Long should be an easy crowd favorite on this forum:

When faced with existing institutions that threaten the power of the state—be they corporations, churches, the family, tradition—the Communist impulse is by and large to abolish them, while the fascist impulse is by and large to absorb them.

Power structures external to the state are potential rivals to the state’s own power, and so states always have some reason to seek their abolition; Communism gives that tendency full rein. But power structures external to the state are also potential allies of the state, particularly if they serve to encourage habits of subordination and regimentation in the populace, and so the potential always exists for a mutually beneficial partnership; herein lies the fascist strategy.

Some of the differences between fascism and the older conservatism may be due to the advances won by their common foes, the liberals. The progress of liberalism and of industry had the effect of shifting wealth, at least in part, from the traditional aristocracy to new private hands, thus creating new private interest groups with the ability to operate as political entrepreneurs; hence, perhaps, the tendency toward the emergence of a plutocratic class nominally outside the traditional state apparatus. Likewise the progress of democracy meant that plutocracy could hope to triumph only by donning populist guise; hence the paradox of an elitist movement marching forward under the banner of anti-elitism—a prime example in U.S. history being antitrust laws and other allegedly anti-big-business legislation being vigorously lobbied for by big business itself.

Hence fascism’s odd fusion of privilege and folksiness; one might call it a movement that thinks like Halliburton and talks like George W. Bush.

While the influence of private wealth on government was not exactly anything new, 19th-century libertarians tended to think that it had been given a new impetus by the rise of democracy and its inevitable accompaniment, interest-group politics—what the French liberals called “ulcerous government.” A number of libertarians argued that representative democracy leads to a struggle for political influence among competing special-interest groups, and unsurprisingly it is the wealthier and more concentrated interests that tend to win out.

In short, the 19th-century libertarians observed the rise of the various tendencies that would come together to make fascism—militarism, corporatism, regimentation, nationalist chauvinism, plutocracy in populist guise, the call for “strong leaders” and “national greatness,” the glorification of conflict over commerce and of brute force over intellect—and they bitterly opposed the whole package. And although they ultimately lost that battle, their fallen banner is ours to pick up.

http://www.mises.org/freemarket_detail.asp?control=66&sortorder=articledate

But the most serious assault on upper-level management currently underway on American television is occurring in the world of professional wrestling, and in my expert opinion the leading cultural indicator in the U.S. is the Worldwide Wrestling Federation. I for one did not believe that the Cold War was really over until a hitherto villainous wrestler like Nikita Koloff began to speak warmly of glasnost during his television interviews.

FDR was a fascist?

In Civ4, researching Fascism enables you to build the Mount Rushmore wonder. You do the math!

This means Al Gore really did invent the internet.

Tidbit: “algor” is Latin for “cold”

Everyone uses the term “fascist” for anyone they don’t like these days.

The only fascists are either running around wearing swastikas or shooting down other people who are practicing freedom of speech.

Case in point would be the “Liberal extremists” who were shouting down Ann Coulter at Colorado University.

Let people speak and then debate them. Don’t forget that it was the fascists who couldn’t debate and closed the opinions and voices of millions.

Of course we tend to forget that they killed many millions, and that communists killed 4 times as many of their own people.

Be free and defend the freedom of others. Don’t let yourself become a silly extremist or you end up looking like a TV preacher in my eyes, just laughable.

Did anyone else think of Jack Handy when they read this?

Sarcasm is your forte I see.

Just remember that when you call everyone a fascist people stop remembering what was so bad about the real thing.

Dont missuse the term because like the word communist, there are very dangerous realities that are married to it.

Well you sure didn’t waste any time after registering before busting out the lectures. I can tell you’re going to be a real treat around here.

Yeah, that was how Hitler won the hearts of the German people, too.

Thanks Scry.

I simply dont like communism, fascism, or people who water those terms down by labeling everything as such.

You can make me out to be your enemy if you like, but I am no such thing.

Let me try to clarify:

Lately Democrats call Republicans Fascists

Republicans call Democrats Fascist

I neither completely agree nor disagree with either of these parties but one thing is certain, they are no comparison to the Nazis and none of us want our developing youth to forget just how bad Fascism or Communism truly have been.

It’s a good thing all our developing youth are over trying to get laid on Gaia Online or hating each other on Something Awful instead of having their pure, innocent minds corrupted over here!

What post count is needed before one is allowed to bust out a lecture?

What post count is needed before one is allowed to bust out a lecture?[/quote]

Don’t worry. You’re cool.

We need to treat a serious term like Fascist with the respect and restraint it deserves… and save it for people who yell at Ann Coulter.

What post count is needed before one is allowed to bust out a lecture?[/quote]
looks anxiously left and right

My… post count? I dunno, guess it just strikes me as odd that it’s ok to say “Hey, nice to meet ya, now do what I fucking tell ya.”

I think seniority is the last thing that matters, especially in this section of the forum. Think of it as a first amendment type thing…if you are really seeking to change his manner and not his content, wouldn’t a pm be more constructive?

I think seniority is the last thing that matters, especially in this section of the forum. Think of it as a first amendment type thing…if you are really seeking to change his manner and not his content, wouldn’t a pm be more constructive?[/quote]

Not really. If you’re not smart enough to learn something about your audience before you start lecturing them publicly you’re going to the public humiliatian you deserve.

Also, we’ve had plenty of jackasses show up in these forums, spew BS for a few days, and then disappear never to be heard from again. A decent post count shows that you’re going to hang around after you waste our time.

Dude, this forum runneth over with pedantic, soul-bludgeoning reprimands. That’s part of its charm. Perhaps Aikes here is merely a taste of the new wave, a radical Jesuit of political harangues surrounded by crusty Franciscans.

Also, we’ve had plenty of jackasses show up in these forums, spew BS for a few days, and then disappear never to be heard from again. A decent post count shows that you’re going to hang around after you waste our time.

Yeah, they are so much worse than jackasses that linger. I really think the politburo here will be just fine, no matter how many panties get bunched.

Like I said, I really don’t see how calling people out on their manner publicly when at least half of your problem is with their content isn’t a cheap shot. I am certain we would be in the midst of welcoming circlejerk had it been people on the opposite end of the qt3 spectrum that had been tasting Aikes’…unique…brand of argument.