Fast and Furious Deep Space 9

If they do aliens, please use the ones from Battleship. They were dumb as shit, but loved explosions.

Seconded!

I can respect a film that knows it’s dumb, and embraces it proudly.

Own it, and embrace what you are.

I realized that one thing I love about the later additions to this series is the near-total lack of cynicism. Say what you want about Vin Diesel and his acting abilities, but I feel like he really, whole-heartedly believes in the positive message and power of family stuff.

Kinda reminds me of a big budget, technically-competent Miami Connection?

They fucking better call it this.

Ohhhhhhh!!!

Agreed. I’d put money on Fast 10 Furious, though.

10Fast10Furious: Binary Drift

Fast & Fur10us

Yes, I agree. That unapologetic, goofy sincerity is the glue that holds these things together, even if the construction is rickety on a story level. It’s what makes Hobbs & Shaw the least of these movies, because it’s so many winks and nods and comedy asides that just pause the movie, and not enough FAMBLY.

Anyway, this was the first movie I’ve seen in theaters since the pandemic started., and I had a great time with it. I don’t think it’s any better on a plot/structural level than the last one, but Justin Lin just executes the tone and character moments so much better than F. Gary Gray did.

As for Vin Diesel’s acting chops, I think it’s some weird ego thing that kinda goes against the tenor of these movies in a way - if you look at him when he’s young and hungry, he’s really, really good, and he’s two for two in bringing me to tears in just voice over performances (“Superman”/“We are Groot”). He can act, but he seems to be defaulting to stoic because he’s supposed to be an action movie star instead of being open and vulnerable, which would be more in keeping with the franchise ethos, especially in the scenes with his kid.

Not to mention more in keeping with being an admitted D&D dork who went through the whole xXx movie with MELKOR fake tattooed on his stomach.

Friend and I decided to see this one as our first F&F movie with the intent on maybe watching them in reverse chronological order. This movie did not disappoint. Ridiculous and silly but in a way that was very entertaining. It’s a great movie to mock all the silliness of, but it was absolutely entertaining and I can see why the franchise has been successful. I love that Dom keeps getting inexplicable new family ties – just amazing (I feel like I’ve seen the the 8th one just from watching the trailers).

I’ve since watched the first four and it’s crazy to watch this franchise herk and jerk it’s way to some semblance of an over-arcing story. I like them way more for having seen the ninth already – it certainly put a different spin on a certain someone’s death in Tokyo drift. Frankly, all of the movie’s plots have been, er, amazing. Anyway, good goofy fun.

You’re in for a treat! Five, six, and seven are the highlight of the series.

Unsurprising, but still sad.

Dwayne Johnson doesn’t need F&F. Vin Diesel does.

Definitely. But I also think if F&F has to keep one, it’s better served by Vin Diesel. Vin thinks he’s doing Shakespeare. The Rock (post Fast Five) has too much ironic distance. And if you lose the dumb sincerity, it all crumbles like Hobbs and Shaw like does on a rewatch.

Doesn’t even have to be a rewatch. I thought Hobbs & Shaw was terrible.

It’s funny, when I watched Hobbes and Shaw I enjoyed it, but I’ve since realized I have NO desire to rewatch it like I do with FF 5,6 or 7.

I’m a diehard fan of the rest of the franchise, but I have zero interest in watching Hobbes & Shaw again.