Fast and Furious Deep Space 9

I watched every Fast and Furious movie last weekend. First F9 in theaters on Friday, and then the rest from streaming just for the heck of it. I’d put Hobbs & Shaw just below 5-7, but above all the other ones. These movies are completely studid and ridiculous at this point. They only work when they know they’re stupid, which the producers of H&S clearly knew, while the main franchise no longer does.

It’s remarkable how big the drop in writing was from 7 to 9. A good third of F9 was just painful, what with the useless flashbacks or Diesel trying to be all serious. I would not rewatch it without fast forward.

So I for one am much more enthusiastic about seeing Hobbs & Shaw 2 than F10, given the trajectory.

Finally got to see F9 and was pretty disappointed. They’re starting to get so far up their own dumb fun that’s it’s actually hijacking half the movie to retcon stuff. I also think they are thinking along the wrong lines for action set pieces. Fast 5 had great action throughout, lots of great real stunt work, and is a blast to watch. F9 didn’t feel that way. It’s bigger in one sense but they are tripping over everything pre Daniel Craig Bond tripped over years ago.

“I told you years ago that I was going to fulfill my promise to Pablo”? Who’s Pablo? And what was Pablo promised? That Dwayne would be in the tenth movie? Will there be any retaliatory measures taken if Vin’s promise to Pablo is broken? Just what are the stakes here? Besides destiny, of course.

So far, this Instagram post is far more exciting than anything that happened in Fast 9!

-Tom

Apparently, Vin’s nickname for Paul Walker was Pablo. I have no idea why.

So wait the last F&F movie will be the 10th?

Say what you will about Vin, but this is the definition of F&F family

I started watching this on HBO Max. I was having a hell of a lot of fun until Charleze Theron showed up. Gah, I’d forgotten about her horrible character, I think I’ve blocked F8 from my mind because of her. And in this one, they use her to lay down a bunch of exposition and I got so bored. Booooo!

Oh well, I’ll try to watch the rest some other day. Great start though. I really hope Theron’s character dies in this movie and doesn’t return.

You might not have quite understood how the Fast and Furious franchise works…

I do understand how it works. In any other franchise, I could have ended my wish “I hope she dies in this movie”. But for this franchise I had to add to my wish “and doesn’t return”.

Finished F9. Man, that was a lot of fun. I can’t believe they went into space! The Edinburgh sequence was just a blast, and the sequence with that industructible tank vehicle versus car magnets was just the right level of over-the-top fun. Fuck yes.

Unfortunately Charleze Theron’s character lived. And after the credits Shaw showed up. Yuck.

Still, that was a great time. Framing the whole movie around flashbacks to Dom’s dad was great. As always, the family stuff is what gives these movies it’s schmaltzy gooey center.

The only part that made me kind of uncomfortable is that the “bad guys” went to such pains to try to take Dom and his crew alive, but Dom and his crew were so cavalier in return about killing the bad guys. For a second I had the thought “maybe that rich entitled guy that’s the villain is right, maybe they’re the good guys?”

I dunno, this one wasn’t as good as the previous movies imho. Still had some decent moments though (magnet scenes). I miss the Hobbs and Shaw characters in the series.