Fast Runnnnn...zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Is it okay to say you don’t like an Inuit movie? How about if I put it this way: Fast Runner is the best three hour Inuit movie I’ve ever seen.

I went on a date to see it, too, so I would have felt like a real jerk afterwards saying anything negative about this movie from these culturally marginalized people who you apparently aren’t supposed to call Eskimoes. Which is fine, because that just makes me think of ice cream.

Anyway, Fast Runner, which is three hours long and feels like three hours long, was a pretty decent looking movie mainly for the people and the scenery. The people were beautiful and the scenery was beautiful, but I’m really getting sick of digital video, especially considering how incredible the movie would have looked on film. Of course, it probably couldn’t have been made for the cost of using film.

At its core, there’s an interesting tribal take on MacBeth and Fatal Instinct, which just serves to show how universal some themes are: don’t fuck unstable women, don’t kill your father, stuff like that. The people really are beautiful (is that patronizing of me?) and it was fascinating seeing a culture operate with almost no metal and no agriculture.

But I wish the Inuits had invented editing and pace. Maybe that’s my own cultural imperialism, in which case I apologize, but my ass was really numb and I just wanted to leave with my date and spend some time hanging out with her. Instead, I got a healthy dose of The Anthropology Channel for about 80% of those three hours and afterwards I had to talk about how great it was that this movie could raise awareness about the Inuit people and their dilemma.

Actually, I don’t think the Inuits have a dilemma (is anyone genociding them or selling them into slavery? If so, I apologize for zoning out during that part of the movie), but I was trying not to come across like a jerk who would have rather been watching Reign of Fire. Which, I’m afraid, I may be.

But don’t not see Fast Runner on my account. Because, well, you know, it’s long and foreign and will raise awareness of the dilemma of the Inuit people.

-Tom

But don’t not see Fast Runner on my account. Because, well, you know, it’s long and foreign and will raise awareness of the dilemma of the Inuit people.

Foreign? Don’t some (or most) of the Inuit live in Alaska?

-DavidCPA

Foreign? Don’t some (or most) of the Inuit live in Alaska?

Well, wherever they live, they don’t have the decency to speak English.

I’m kidding! I’m just kidding!

Fast Runner is a Canadian production. And actually, far more Inuit live in Canada and Greenland than Alaska, so technically, yes, it’s a foreign film.

-Tom

Wait…are you saying there are other kinds?

I kind of know what you mean, Tom. As an expat Canadian, I wanted to see this movie and see where my tax dollars went. Plus it was 95 in the shade that day, and what could be cooler than an arctic movie in an air conditioned theatre?

The movie was not always dull, but you are right about the pacing. Very uneven. I felt that the sub-titles were incomlete, too. Language translation is always is pain, but there were many times when the actors were speaking, and there was no translation for ten or fifteen seconds. Considering that it was easy to get confused at times, these lapses in expository dialogue were more than annoying.

I didn’t think it was a bad movie, but something is clearly amiss when I have to explain to my wife what is going on in a particular scene. It certainly wasn’t the amazing picture that all the press had been telling me it was. Maybe all the critics were sitting through a heat wave, too.