Fathom/Surface/Threshold/Invasion/etc

The pilot for this show came on the net but personally I think it’s going to suck so bad I won’t even waste my time trying to get it.

So this thread is for the less fortunate brave enough to watch it, through whichever means available.

Three separate alien invasion shows on each of the major networks and they all look stupid. One looks even worse (Threshold - while I like Carla Gugino and might even forego all my reservations and watch just because of her, Brannon Braga is involved, which is like a big giant KEEP OUT sign), and one I’ve already seen is mostly dumb (Invasion).

— Alan

And in a nice bit of synchronity the Threshold pilot also came out.

And, no, I’m not getting it.

— Alan

Isn’t this called “Surface” now?

And if I remember correctly, it’s done by the Pate brothers, who were previously responsible for G vs E/good vs evil, yet another entertaining show that got unceremoniously shitcanned by SciFi.

I’ll give it a couple of episodes, at least. Can’t be worse than Commander-in-Chief.

Yes you are correct it is called Surface now (Fathom that is).

I changed up the subj to fit all three alien invasion shows coming out this fall as obviously there will be a lot of comparisons and cross-talk.

— Alan

Why are alien invasion shows hot? I sense a conspiracy. Our overlords are preparing us for the arrival of our alien masters!

Really though, three shows is kind of odd. Did Signs sprout these?

Smallville.

Apparently Lost did for some odd reason; introduction of weird/odd sci-fi/drama “realistic” shows or whatever…

Except for Threshold, which apparently has been in development for two years or something.

— Alan

I’m sure lots of shows of this type have been in development since the X-Files, but the success of Lost has gotten them the green light. I wouldn’t be surprised if several of these shows had initially been rejected, and then brought back in after execs started yelling “find me the new Lost!!!”

And if I remember correctly, it’s done by the Pate brothers, who were previously responsible for G vs E/good vs evil, yet another entertaining show that got unceremoniously shitcanned by SciFi.

Is it now? I loved G vs E. I’d love a DVD release of that…

Maybe it’s just that Threshold was such an inexcusable mess that anything looks good in comparison, but I thought Surface was okay. At least the dialogue didn’t make me writhe in pain.

Yeah, Surface was a lot better. Still not that great, but I liked the pacing much more. It was really deliberate, right up until the end of the episode when they decide to spill all the beans. Sort of like a teenager who just can’t wait to let you in on the omg awesome secret.

Agreed, Surface turned out well. A lot more figure-it-out than Threshold was. The “tooth” was kickass.

I missed Surface cause I was watching my Giants smash the Saints tonight. What happened at the end to spill the beans? I assume from all the previews it’s some underwater eggs/babies from some uber-creature momma that’s rising from the deep, or something to that effect.

The last scene had an old Mexican and his grandson in a boat in the middle of the night, watching hundreds of shooting stars slam into the Gulf of Mexico. Of course, those rustic li’l TV Mexicans thought it was a sign of good luck, rather than crapping their pants about all these meteors hitting the water less than 5 miles away from their tiny boat.

You see (and this is the shocking reveal), the sea monsters come from Outer Space! They had to ham it up at the end, there.

(Edit: Oh yeah, just before that scene, the lead scientist guy was in a top secret meeting, showing something they found in the ocean. The camera pans over to a tooth the size of a Geo Metro…)

So how many alien ivnasion shows are there going to be? Surface was pretty good.

I haven’t seen Lost. What’s the alien connection? I thought they were just stranded on an island?

I missed Surface and forgot to set the PVR to grab it. For those who missed it, Sci-Fi appears to be airing it tonight at 11pm, in a cross station promotion.

I haven’t seen Lost. What’s the alien connection? I thought they were just stranded on an island?[/quote]

Many classify Lost as a sci-fi show since there’s some weird stuff about. People have speculated aliens but no one really knows. It’s definitely not a typical normal drama.

— Alan

Saw the first 30 minutes of Surface. The chick driving the sub annoyed me because she just didn’t know how to hold the joystick properly, and it was really clear that it was just a prop.

Of course, I had just watched the Abyss, so perhaps I was expecting too much.

Just watched the first two eps of Threshold. Bleh.

I did love that Gunneson (or whatever his name was) was played by William Mapother. Who’s William Mapother?

He was Ethan on Lost, of course.

So he’s playing the weird superdude TWICE! :) Talk about typecast.