Fatties enraged by "Fat Princess"

I like cake.

Yeah well, for some people, it’s not as simple as just taking the effort – for some people, the only way to actually lose weight and keep it off is to spend all your spare time aiming for it. If you were told that the only way you could correct something was to give up doing everything you loved and instead worked out during all your free time in a day, what would you do?

Some people are perfectly happy being overweight. Some people are in a position where it’s difficult to change.

I don’t see why people are getting upset by proxy – in those cases, yeah, just shut up. But that doesn’t give anyone license to use it as a bludgeon against someone personally. That’s just rude and disrespectful.

I do about 80 minutes more walking a day than I used to (up from zero, natch), and I’ve lost a ton of weight this summer. I don’t even have to change clothes or shower, I just pop in the iPod, walk off of my desk, and go.

Oh, and I quit eating so much and cut out most of the super greasy food from my diet. I’m feeling better all around. I am starting to agree that people who can’t help being fat are outliers, and most of us just have unhealthy attitudes.

And yet if people are content to live with their weight, it’s still rude and disrespectful to take SolInvictus’s attitude.

This, to me, just seems like another example of “someone complains about something, therefore ALL MEMBERS OF THAT GROUP are complaining about it.” It’s just another form of stereotyping, and a pretty obnoxious attitude regardless of the target group. I don’t think “obese” should be a protected class or anything, but at the same time I don’t think this is some sort of P.C. conspiracy.

Burger King does sound good right now.

I’ll share that my PMSing wife took great offense to this game when I mentioned it to her, and made me endure a short tirade regarding misogyny and stereotypes. She didn’t realize she was PMSing at the time, however, and a few days later apologized and said she thought the game was funny.

He stated it’s a cultural thing in Asia and seems to be perfectly acceptable over there. He seems to be from Singapore or at least lives there right now. It’s not rude in the culture he is surrounded by obviously.

Stop trying to apply this PC shit you seem to live happily (or not) over there to the rest of the world.

In Europe you can make jokes about fat people and call them fat besides at the work place that’s why I wondered if you can make those comments at work or not in Singapore.

If those people are so happy and content they shouldn’t be upset about a game making jokes about their weight nor about people calling them fat!

The game and people possibly being upset about it is a non-story, but what Charles says about obesity is dead on. There is a difference between being 20 lbs. or so overweight because you do nothing but eat Taco Bell and raid in WoW and being 100 lbs or more overweight despite efforts otherwise. There are a lot of people who have deep psychological issues with food and can’t simply “eat better” or “exercise more”.

Fat Bastard sums it up best:

“I eat because I’m unhappy and I’m unhappy because I eat.”

read -> comprehend -> post.

Taco Bell does sound good right now.

Political correctness: The insidious conspiracy to raise any sort of objection to people being towering hateful dicks.

My belly is a beer drinking muscle. Like most muscles, as I continue on a rigorous workout schedule, it’s getting larger.

There are lots of different reasons why someone is large, ranging from physical issues (which are impossible to change) to psychological issues (which are difficult to change) to mental issues (which are the easiest to change.)

Since it’s hard to tell from external observation what someone’s explanation is, mocking their “moral failing” isn’t really defensible.

I completely agree. Many of us can drop a few pounds by simply changing behavior. Unless you know someone that has these issues, or suffer from them yourself, it’s hard to truly understand them. I think a lot of people generalize based on their own personal experiences. It is also more socially acceptable to mock fat people so people feel more justified in doing that as opposed to going after someone of another race, gender, or sexual orientation.

So do people get monstrously fat because people are giving them all those ridiculous excuses, or do people start making excuses because they see so many fatties?

Mocking isn’t what motivates people to lose weight though, that just reinforces bad behaviors and low self esteem (e.g. me being fat for the last ten years). What motivated me was a desire to pass on healthy attitudes to my daughter.

Viewing it as a lifestyle change - eat less, eat healthier, exercise more, sleep regularly - is more effective than “I want to look better so I will be more socially acceptable”. Looking good is just a side benefit.

For me it was #2. I have overweight family members who work out a lot but don’t eat as well as they could, so I always assumed I’d be doomed to be overweight. I’m trying to see if I can’t overcome that.

I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts when MiniDickChink Kart Racer comes out for the DS next year.

I don’t know that fat people neccesarily need or want ‘acceptance’, as much as they just want to be left alone and not openly ridiculed.

Fatness in Asians also do NOT have the negative stigma that Americans have. In the US it is viewed as a failure of willpower and sloth. In the case of women it’s General Failure.