Favorite Beer

Guinness is garbage. The extra stout is nice though.

I love microbrew stout and porter. It’s too bad good microbrew of those two breeds is so hard to find.

Here in southern New Hampshire everyone worships at the altar of Sam Adams who somehow make the crappiest tasting stout and porter in the world. Somehow they take nice ales and craft brews and make them taste totally pasturized and commercial.

I love Budweiser and Coors though. Something about that hoppy goodness makes my day. Budweiser is a fantastic everyday beer with a good ale stout or porter at mealtime.

Hofbrauhaus’ Munich Weizen. Num.

I’ll drink most any beer with the word “wheat” on it, regardless of the language. German tends to win, though.

1. Free
  2. Guiness (only if I am having a couple, otherwise it is too heavy)
  3. Whatever someone hands me

Asahi SuperDry,
Stella,
Kronenberg

We’ve had this discussion before on this forum, but this “the good Guinness is only served in Ireland” bit is an urban myth. Guinness does have a bunch of variant brews that are sold all over the world, but the basic stuff–Guinness Draught (including it’s widget-equipped canned and bottled varieties) has one recipe, and is exactly the same in Ireland, Europe, and America. It all comes from the St. James’ Gate brewery, and Guinness has an elaborate distribution system to make sure that they all reach their destinations quickly, for freshness.

Also, Guinness is the food of the gods. I will definitely agree that it’s not like any other stout, but I mean that in a good way. I love stout in general, but Guinness almost needs to be in its own category.

Dirt has the shittiest trolls.

I couldn’t pick one particular beer that is my favorite, but I’ve got a lot of breweries I like. On this side of the pond I like Stone, Unibroue, Dogfish Head, and some others. Sierra Nevada and Smuttynose both make good, simple, everyday stuff. For imports I don’t tend to stick with specific breweries. I usually ask what’s freshest at my local beer pub (The Publick House in Brookline, MA. Best beer bar anywhere.)

The best single glass of beer I’ve ever had was something called King’s Slipper from a nearby brewery, but it was a single batch brew, so I’m not gonna ever have it again. Sad.

Ah, good call. I’m a big fan of their La Fin du Monde. There’s also a brewery here in upstate NY that I like a lot called Ommegang, that does some very nice Belgian-style beers. I’m also quite fond of Samuel Smith’s Oatmeal Stout, which is about as far from Belgian-style beer as you could get and still be beer.

Wow, good to see Belhaven mentioned here. I’ve only had it from a can, but its the creamiest beer I’ve gotten at a Supermarket.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. It makes life worth living during the holidays.

I was actually drinking Blue Moon as I wrote the OP heh. I think that it gets a bum rap from many people.

I agree that it is basically an Urban Myth, but I do believe that the water-source has an impact on the beer. Most brewmasters would agree I think. Much like pizza in New York, it has a certain flavor.

That being said, I think that the reality is in the pour. If you have a pub who cleans their taps the right way, and knows how to store and then pour Guiness…then that is a true recipe for success. And for a damned good beer.

I really enjoy Caffrey’s, if any of you have ever had that. I first drank it in the UK and Ireland, then in the US. Shortly after, it dissapeared at Colorado (and many states that I have been to) bars. I think that it had something to do with import issues.

I found Caffrey’s once again on Vancouver Island in Canada, and wouldn’t leave the bar.

I also rally enjoy Boddingtons. It has always had a slight apple taste to me, and a smooth creamy flavor. It is excellent from the can (which utilizes a similar Guiness-style widget) and from the tap.

My Kiwi friend brings up a case of some local New Zealand beer every year. The name is escaping me…but I will need to track it down and pass the name on. It is incredible.

I may be wrong, but I think based on what he said, there is only one water source for the Guinness Draught. If it all comes from the same St. James brewery and is the same recipe, presumably the water source does not differ either.

QFT. I love Sierra Nevada. And their Celebration Ale is amazing.

Correct.

I am blessed to live in an area with 3 brewpubs within 15 minutes that have beers that have won recently in the World Beer Cup. (Including the Bear Republic, of which I have Racer 5 and Red Rocket in my fridge right now! – too bad the service at their location sucks).

When I don’t have one of those, Sierra Nevada or Fat Tire will do just fine.

Americuns talking over beer… ugh ;) and the most mentioned beer is either an americun one (urgs), an belgian one (urgs too) or guiness (hold hand before mouth)

Next time to visit germany go into a bar (called kneipe in germany) and drink a real beer… dont mention that you are an americun though, because you will never be able to stop defending the politics of your president ;)

Oh btw the best wheat beers are in the south of germany (try munich) and the best pils beer will be served in the ruhr area (try dortmund first)

I love beer, period.
Colorado has great beer. Chief among them O’Dells brewing company. Easy street wheet in the summer. 5 Barrel in the winter.
I can’t stand any beers from Anheuser Busch
I have a Keggerator in my garage and it always has PBR in it. Say all you want. I know, pisswater etc… But for a cheap beer it really is very drinkable. And comes out to about $.25 per 16oz beer.

I checked it out and stand corrected. You had it right. It looks like all of the water and barley is from Ireland.

The brewery is in an office park in Redmond. Down Redmond way just a bit east of 520.

As for Guinness, I loved in the UK and Ireland. Over here, it seems to pick up a slightly gasoline-ish taste that’s not evident over there.