Favorite "Britcoms"?

Mostly Irish then :) . If anyone feels the need to re-watch it,series 2 and the 1996 Xmas SPecial are still available on 4-o-d’s archive -

My own entry in the ‘how could I forget’ stakes must be ‘Only Fools and Horses’. The characters, even the minor’ ones like Trigger, Denzil and Boysie, were perfectly drawn and the script was invariably well written and funny - the late John Sullivan’s masterpiece

Coupling. The British version was genius. The American version, not so much.

Another recommendation for As Time Goes By. Loved the show and watched some of the episodes more than once.

Absolutely Fabulous was often great.

I agree on Coupling. Hilarious stuff.

This is my favourite as well.

I really liked “Him and Her” which is newer. Really funny in an edgy sort of way

One Foot in the Grave , the lead actor appears in an episode of Father Ted too so you’ll get more from it if you’ve seen his sitcom .

Do yourself a favor and import The Thick of It and Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace.

Also, ditto the Spaced recommendation.

Coupling was so, so, so good. Seconded or thirded or fiftiethed or whatever.

If you liked The Office (the British version) then you should also check out I’m Alan Partridge and Knowing Me, Knowing You. Both feature Steve Coogan in the same role as a failed local radio presenter. Perfectly done.

The whole Fry and Laurie canon is worth watching, especially the Wodehouse adaptations.

If you like Father Ted, you may be willing to sit through My Hero.

And because no one else has mentioned it, and because I have a soft spot for the “Dr Who” sketch, there’s Dave Allen At Large.

Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister has already been mentioned, but deserves their place at the very top of the list.

The New Statesman is a more rough and more black look at politics but also excellent.

Chef is underrated and didn’t last long. But worth it to look up - especially if you work or has worked in a restaurant.

I like Bottom, too. But in smaller doses.

Since others are bringing up sketch shows I’ll add Not the 9 O’Clock News (although somewhat dated). And The Day Today which pokes brilliant fun at television news and reality shows long before that became common place.

Yeah, Jeeves and Wooster is very funny.

Aha!

How did I forget Alan?

Chef was hilarious, great choice Mr. Lauring! Also much more contemporary than my Keeping up Appearences suggestion.

Another vote for Black Books. As Time Goes By is truly classic.

Coupling was the UK remake of Friends so it was entertaining to see it go back and get redone again.

In terms of more recent stuff.

Lead balloon is basically a take on Curb Your Enthusiasm and possibly relies on knowing who Jack Dee is to work but might be worth a look.

Miranda is a sitcom that gets great reviews for reasons that are beyond me but I acknowledge I’m now firmly in old git mode.

Thick of it is definitely worth chasing down, it’s already starting to look a little out of date but I don’t think anyone’s figured out what to do with the new lot yet.

Although not sitcoms, the Brass Eye mocumentaries are genius - from the guy who recently filmed Four Lions.

Was Dylan Moran’s sitcom “Where/How do you want me” any good ?
It looked like a bit of a departure from Black Books .