Favorite Film. That's All.

I have to join Telefrog with Star Wars. I was nine years old when it was released and I saw it six or eight times in the theater during the solid YEAR it was playing there. It’s doubtless the movie that most shaped me growing up.

Oh, you understood Lost Highway?

The Groundhog Day.

Again?

This one isn’t my favourite, but each viewing, I like it more. I am scared.

Glad you didn’t mention that other movie. Could ruffle some feathers or Rustle a Crow.

I love that movie too. Haven’t seen it in ages.

The favorite film is a myth!

Oh damn, good pick. Probably my number two.

That’s an interesting pick coming from way over on the far side of the world.

Mine is still Casablanca. Plot, characters, actors, setting, dialogue, music, direction and cinematography all rolled 20s. A typical product rolling off the Dream Factory assembly line wound up as a superb example of a masterpiece of Classic Hollywood. Heroism, romance, cynicism and sacrifice war with each other, and not all of those four are going to make it out of Casablanca. The world burns in the background while human flotsam struggle for life in the exotic foreground. I always get misty when two anthems square off, and the letters of transit are my favorite movie MacGuffin.

I make no excuses or apologies

Thanks for this. I didn’t catch Krok’s double meaning until I read your post.

That is, indeed, a great movie. And another example of how to do naval combat that’s much better done than Star Trek II and the Romulan Star Trek episode.

Why tf would you?? That’s in my top 10 for sure.

You make me happy :)

Well, it’s the only one of the movies that takes place in a naval environment, so, naturally.

Childhood: Star Wars
Adolescence: Alien
Adulthood: 2001

Christ, all sci-fi. How predictable.

Well they had a bit more budget I think :P (at least compared to Balance of Terror)

That said, Weir is a far more accomplished director than anyone who ever did a Trek movie, with the possible exception of Robert Wise.

Coincidentally I once blogged that you-know-what was ‘my favorite Star Trek movie.’

“There was me, that is Alex, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie, and Dim…”

If I had to pick one – just one – it would have to be A Clockwork Orange.

The only winning move is not to play.