Favorite Game Music

Right. And terrible AI too. But the music and some of the graphic design was almost good enough to make you want to play it despite everything.

Yeah, game was awesome but flawed, sadly. Loved the hell out of it though.

It’s not the sort of music I’d normally listen to, but it meshes brilliantly with a game that oozes charm and atmosphere. Probably my favourite game ever. Did someone already mention Magic & Mayhem (AKA Duel: The Mage Wars)?

Not usually a big fan of Jeremy Soule’s stuff, but he did awesome stuff for Dawn of War 1, particularly the ork theme.

I always liked the Crusader:No Regret/No Remorse music. 75% cheesy synth guitars and 25% some sort of eurodisco vibe. Somehow it’s good!

Title screen music for Sacrifice is very evocative and moody (the other stuff was good, but this track really grabs me). Kevin Manthei is the composer. He did music for Invader Zim too, which is fun.

Seconding the following:
Star Control 2
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Planescape: Torment
Fallout 1 and 2 (someone mentioned these right?)

I’m sure there is a ton of stuff I am forgetting

Grand Knights History.
I don’t know anything about this game. I just stumbled across it looking at other stuff, but wow, what an awesome track. No idea if this music is in the actual game or not. The title of the video seems to indicate its BGM from the game’s website:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bARoNzUBE7U&feature=related

Besides the obvious stuff, Warlords III: Darklords Rising has an amazing soundtrack. The music fits the gritty theme so well.

This seems relevant. Today’s (11/7/11) Amazon MP3 album special is :

The Greatest Video Game Music (Amazon Bonus Track Edition) by London Philharmonic Orchestra and Andrew Skeet for $2.99

I’ll stop being an Amazon shill now

Oohh, good eye, thanks!

I didn’t see Red Dead Redemption mentioned – awesome soundtrack.

Gemini Rue also has some fantastic tracks. Both jazzy and grrrr.

Independence War 2 deserves a link for it’s incredible theme.

In a year with Bastion getting a lot of love for its soundtrack (and it does have a good soundtrack) Nick Arundel’s work for Batman: Arkham City has to be my favorite. The moment on the main theme that the radiant string and brass melody burst through after two minutes of dark, claustrophobic build-up is easily my favorite game-music moment of 2011. It’s impossible not to feel the responsibility and hope that Batman represents.

Go listen!

Y’know, I’m sure it’s been mentioned before (hell, I might even have said it) but I still get FF7’s music stuck in my head.

The Shinra theme, all three battle pieces (normal, boss, and JENOVA)… amusingly, though, I’m not a huge massive fan of One Winged Angel.

For anyone who hasn’t checked it out yet, the SWTOR soundtrack is nailing the Star Wars feel pretty nicely for me. They’ve been posting new tracks every day on their Facebook and Youtube pages (http://www.youtube.com/swtheoldrepublic).

Big fan of Andy Sega myself. His Progression and System disks are, in my extremely untrustworthy opinion, two of the best albums of the 90s:

Lately he’s been coding for a living and sidelining as the instrumental half of a synthpop act: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=504jjlQ4LWM

Or just go back, fire up UAE, and listen to a bunch of Amiga mods.
The main theme of Crusader sounds a LOT like the hyperspace theme of Star Control 2, which sounds a lot like a bunch of mods. Considering both are actually mods :)

I forgot to thank you for this. I love it, it’s geniusbrilliant. It’s exactly what I imagined game music to be if the limitations were removed and all resources were applied.

Well, thank you for thanking me because I had forgotten about it and now I’m tuning in again!

Glad to see Christopher Tin’s “Baba Yetu” (the title theme from Civilization 4) has been posted, that’s probably one of my favorite themes of any game I’ve played.

Inon Zur is awesome, too - Fallout 3’s theme did a great job of setting the tone for that game.

If any of you are Sworcery fans, the original music which inspired the game has been released:

Zelda remix album from a group of indie composers - 25YEARLEGEND

One of my all time favorites was the opening scene in Twinsen’s Odyssey (Little Big Adventure).

Most of the music from Portal 2 was awesome

The credits song in Deus Ex HR

X3 Terran Conflict has some nice tunes

I really enjoyed the Battlefield Vietnam soundtrack - kept me playing longer than I might have otherwise…