Favorite Game Music

That’s why I wrap it in quotations; to ensure that the complete phrase is queried instead of each individual word. Using this method brings this thread up first, with the big video game music thread from 2011 coming in as the fifth result, which ain’t too shabby.

Maybe next time I’ll even skip Google.

I listen to the Hearts of Iron soundtrack far more than I played the game.

And the research breakthrough theme from the original (and only!) Master of Orion. https://youtu.be/O1xg-vYzJKg

Well this needs to go here.

These ones were burned into my memory.

Oh boy, I had a friend with a Sega Genesis which was my primary exposure to console gaming for several years. He played King’s Bounty a lot. But even more than King’s Bounty, Master of Monsters is burned into my brain. For example:

https://youtu.be/JHMcFmT9Orw

Of course all Sega Genesis discussions are ultimately leading to Streets of Rage 2, so let’s just go ahead and get Dreamer into the thread.

(Also a big fan of this a capella cover: https://youtu.be/GIYR7mq3PJQ )

Donkey Kong Country - Jungle Groove

Lots of qualifiers, but in the end this song from Disciples 3: Resurrection gets my favorite vote

a) Amiga rules, other platforms droolz. (Props to the Mega Drive though)
b) If it wasn’t for the fact that a lot of people technically struggle to black out some game screenshots, I would suggest a game soundtrack game.

c) No E1M1!?!

There’s countless covers of this in an attempt to make it “truely metal”, but I don’t think it’s even needed it. Cheesy MIDI guitars are good enough! (Also, I imagine there’s probably even a sweet acapella version). But my favourite Doom-inspired song has always been Epiclore’s Doom Medely titled ‘Knee Deep In the Doom’:

It’s more Doom than Doom.

I spent a good chunk of time listening to the Descent 2 soundtrack, despite barely playing the game. I’ve played a lot of games to this soundtrack that aren’t Descent 2!

Stay a while and listen! The Tristram soundtrack from Diablo

Ok, not the original soundtrack. This cover though eclipses it.

My other favourite in game piece of music (not already covered here) is the Chrono Trigger intro theme. Every single time I hear it, I think about popping back into Chrono Trigger and reliving the spectacle of an amazing game that has aged incredibly well.

Edit: Bringing up that Chrono Trigger video showed me 331Erock’s metal cover he did for Chrono Trigger. What he did for Frog’s theme was nothing short of excellent!

Thanks for the merge @stusser!

Não há de quê!

I’ve always loved Dave Warhol’s Adventure Construction Set music. I think he said that the fugue was just a straight transcription of an exercise he’d done while a composition student.

The ‘sci-fi’ tune is really nice, too, albeit short and simple.

If you’re like me and you love all things SEGA, then you should definitely bookmark…

https://www.radiosega.net

It’s a constant stream of SEGA music from way back to modern. You can make requests, too. Highly recommended.

Speaking of omnibus music links, there are a couple of marathon SID tune compilations on Youtube – one 6 hours, the other 10.

Good for headphones/zoning if you have a particular sort of taste.

David Joiner, the designer of 1986’s The Faery Tale Adventure, has a Soundcloud page which includes among other things an updated version of his beautiful ‘Nighttime’ music from that game. I kind of prefer the Amiga version, to be honest, but I was happy to finally track this guy down. He’s an elusive one. Based on Faery Tale, I’d say he’s arguably a better composer than a game designer, though the technical ambition and gorgeous graphics of that title certainly grabbed me at the time. (It’s a bit vast and empty, with an annoying joystick-wiggling combat system.)

It’s weird how, for every Richard Garriott or Shigeru Miyamoto, there are 10 other game developers who deeply impacted your childhood who just went off and did other things.

Music from the Amiga shmup Battle Squadron. The title tune is good; the high-score tune is great.