Favorite Game Music

Remember this quest in Sacred 2? Fantastic.

And I loved this (both the game and the music):

Had this in my head today:

No question about this one for me.

Like the game, it takes itself so seriously it transcends the awkwardness straight into awesomeness.

Absolutely. The music went a long way toward setting it in a very specific place and time. The sequels have gotten more and more generic until it’s just Sim City on an island.

Favorite OST from last year, The House in Fata Morgana:

Also really dig a lot of the music from the Yakuza series. Really gets you pumped up to smash some faces in:

Shame this track wasn’t included in the US release of Yakuza 0:

RIP STALKER:

RIP Kirill Pokrovsky:

One of my favorite bits from Lennie Moore’s outstanding score for Outcast:

https://youtu.be/NHt96IQpWYs?t=43m25s

I love the Outcast soundtrack so much. So much.

So guys, I’ve been playing a lot of 3030 Deathwar Redux, and it’s amazing. Not only that, it introduced me to this amazing band called The Kyoto Connection. Here’s one of my favorite songs from the game, off the album No Headphones Required (which is free to download!):

So awesomely 80s.

Awesomely '80s reminded me of

I loved the main theme to Aliens: the game of the movie for the Apple IIe. Pity they couldn’t fit another song in there too.

When the family upgraded to the IIgs, listening to the title theme to Zany Golf was revelatory – it was a musician choosing all the wrong instruments on Mom’s synthesizer and getting a result that was like Pee Wee’s Playhouse got dropped on a carnival, which was also on fire. It was anarchic and amazing. But you had to be there.

It might be obvious to mention Jeremy Soule’s Total Annihilation, but it would be a shame to not mention it. Often.

If I were ever trapped in outer space, all I’d need for the rest of my short life would be the soundtracks to Homeworld and FTL.

One of my favorite End Bosses in any game, a giant intimidating beast that concealed itself until it was too late to run away, was the last encore in Guitar Hero 2. Freebird!

Well shit, I had no idea that was by Jeremy Soule. I didn’t play TA much, but I seem to know/enjoy his music more than the games they come from!

And weirdly I was only looking at Zany Golf the other day after checking out Electronic Arts’ deep past. I always remember the burger hole and the corner ketchup as well as the distinctive carnival organ sound of the game.

The Apple IIGS title music is a suitably zany piece though. I’m only familiar with the Amiga version which is… not really the same!

Wow, I hadn’t heard the Amiga version before. It’s so close to being the same, but a few different instrument choices makes it sound like it’s a Parisian slowly peddling past an army of mimes.

Some Freelancer music is up on the Tubes. Quite the nostalgia trigger.

I know Martin Galway was the audio director for this, but I don’t know if he had any hand in actually composing the music. Freelancer had some great procedural music/audio in it, I think.

Damn, makes me want to reinstall and download whatever patches and jump through whatever hoops to play this one again. Still got the discs in one of my fat vinyl CD holders.

Hells yeah! I particularly love the race music.

Folks still play it using the Discovery Mod, which is excellent.

Ohhh, another great one!

It’s Saturday morning so here’s a few choice cuts from Christophe Heral, one of my favourite game music composers:

Such a cheery tune!

I’m kind of fascinated by short pieces of music that can fit so much into them. Blue is no exception, especially so given its gentle pace and pillow softness. Weighing in at a mere 44 seconds!

One of the things I love about Heral’s work in the BG&E and Rayman soundtracks is how eclectic his sound is. It’s so refreshing.

Another short one but an inspired combination of banjo, fiddle and big brass.

Something that runs through the Rayman Origin and Legends soundtracks is how much fun the composers and performers are having. The Slapping Tree got reworked for the level it plays on but this version is full of zaniness and beauty in equal measure.

This is basically the ending music, but accompanied with the visuals, it’s just hilarious and wonderful.

Had to include this. Just… inspired. Fullscreen it.

Can anyone find me a better and shorter music loop than Flying Battery Zone Act 1?

39-40 seconds all in. I don’t even think Bubble Bobble has it pipped!

Hotline Miami:

Carmageddon 2:

Civ 4 title theme:

tbh I thought we’d all moved on from Chrono Trigger.

I just noticed the title post, will edit!

Oh LOL. I was only teasing, hon.