Favorite Game Music

One of the good old good ones – Paul Norman’s music for Forbidden Forest!

I noted it before but I’ve been listening to Radio Sega all morning. I have to admit it gets me both excited and upset all at the same time. There is so much brilliant audio work that has come out of that company for so many years and yet here we are in 2017 and there are so many games in their catalog that are dormant now and could easily be revived in incredible ways.

The thing that stands out most is the seriously upbeat music they created that while often a little cheesy on its own totally helped identify the FUN of that period of gaming from like the mid-80s up to the late 90’s. Whenever something from Bayonetta comes up too, it’s a big reminder of that time and there just aren’t enough games taking that approach today IMO. There’s so much tongue in cheek goodness.

Oh by FAR for me is the main theme of Dragon Age: Inquisition.
I stayed at a house on an island where I had to get to work by boat, and just standing at the front with a flag wavering over my head, slowly making my way over the Oslo Fjord (Norway), listening to this soundtrack made me feel like I was conquering the world.

Man.

Just a soupcon – Ed Bogas’s wonderfully idiosyncratic music from Psi-5 Trading Company.

Age of Wonders 1 and 3 soundtracks for me. Beyond awesome!

Edit: I should also add the Unreal Tournament (UT99) soundtrack to this.

I would buy SH2 again. No need for HD upgrade. Just vanilla SH2 is fine. I’m not going to play it again, maybe show it to people who haven’t played it before, but having it just sitting in my library will give me a warm fuzzy feeling. This game is an eye opener in terms of the music and the wtf!? plot.

And Konami ran this franchise into the ground.

Yeah, I know, bummer, Silent Hill is done for. The last time it was at least decent was Shattered Memories. It’s over, we have to accept it.

One of Rob Hubbard’s tracks for ‘Delta.’ Derived from Phillip Glass’s Koyaanisqatsi score, apparently, and/or Pink Floyd’s On The Run, but as always Hubbard makes it into his own inimitable thing.

Yeah that’s definitely Pink Floyd’s On The Run and a track from Koyaanisqatsi in there! Very cool rendition.

Oh hey, thanks for bumping this thread. A friend turned me onto this podcast a week or so ago and it’s AMAZING. Covers all manner of soundtracks.

http://www.cinematicsound.net/

I love that theme!!! So majestic.

The theme in the main menu of Divinity: OS is also fantastic.

Ooh, looking forward to hearing this. I played a few minutes of Nex Machina at a friend’s house but didn’t note the music. Sounds right up my alley.

I’ve been meaning to get that since they remastered it, and since it looks like there’s still a long wait before DOS2 comes to PS4, so looks like I’lld o that after all! Thanks for the tip - love majestic game themes =)

Actually, Assassins Creed Origins theme in the start menu reminds me a bit of DA:I as well.

I just uploaded a new capture of one of my favorite tracks. It is from Seiken Densetsu 3, “Where Angels Fear to Tread”

I don’t know about ‘favorite’ but this track has been sticking in my head lately… this is the music playing during the Wooded Kingdom level in Super Mario Odyssey:

It also transitions into an 8-bit version when Mario goes into the 8-bit game sections.

I remember when Blue Sky Gaming was a thing.

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2005/11/blue-sky-in-games-campaign-launched.html

Lately, I’ve had the three soundtracks on a near-constant loop at work:

Chrono Trigger:

Nier Tomato:

Chrono Cross:

Playing Nier Tomato at the moment and the soundtrack is tremendous.

I rediscovered Star Control II soundtrack due to discussion in another thread, and made one track my ringtone. This game is so goofy and charming!

Some of the remixes are pretty good too.