Favorite Game Music

When I listen to stuff from early Final Fantasy games, Mega Man, Castlevania, and others, I am amazed at what composers were able to do without an actual orchestra. Chrono Trigger is no less impressive because it lacks a full orchestra.

“Too much”? If you read any interviews with the composer, he was intentionally going for that sort of sound.

Somebody already mentioned the Telltale Sam & Max games, but I think Jared Emerson-Johnson deserves more credit. One of the main reasons I wish the games were more popular is so that more people would hear Jared’s stuff. He’s just amazing – you can throw any idea at him, from “80s guitar rock playing from a jukebox” to “Operatic showdown with demons from hell” to “kind of like the Space Mountain queue plus John Carpenter,” and he’ll not just nail it but make it better than the original idea.

My favorite is still the Skun-ka’pe theme from season 3:

And he did a blues guitar version for the Poker Night game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y302O3WSIAw

Secret of Mana
Breath of Fire IV
Diablo I/II
Jade Empire
Heroes of Might and Magic III

Really, I am frequently impressed with gaming music outside of the FPS/Action arena.

The Crysis 2 Theme.

Is this a misprint? Did you mean to list Heroes 2 and accidentally write III instead? If not, this is the first time I’ve come across someone for whom the music in III was more than just okay. I personally thought it was a huge step down from the music in 2.

I don’t think anyone has mentioned Defcon yet, but that is some of the best, if not most appropriate, music ever used in a game. Haunting.

Lots of great examples here already, and I’ll add a few more that I don’t think I saw mentioned:

Risen (PC)
Rygar (NES)
Castlevania 2: Simon’s Quest (NES)
Star Ocean: The Second Story (PS1)
Star Ocean: The Last Hope (360/PS3)
Advance Wars (GBA)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)
Command & Conquer: Red Alert (PC)
Ultima IX (PC)
Torchlight (PC)

I’d also recommend that people check out the Minibosses, a band which has some excellent covers of classic game music on their website. My favorite track (though sadly an older live version and not the one on their “Brass” album) is “Kraid” - an excellent medley of Metroid tunes beginning with my favorite VGM piece ever, the music from Kraid’s lair.

I’m such a huge fan of game music, and find that good music is a huge draw to get me to revisit a game, sometimes even more so than actual game play. It’s also excellent music to play while you’re working, since it was designed to be non-intrusive accompaniment to another task which requires your attention.

HoMM II music was awesome indeed, but I loved III as well. Especially the Elemental Town theme:

and most of the battle field themes: Combat Theme 4 particularly:

I’ll give another shout out for Bully as well. Terrific music in that game.
I have a save game file set right at the point of several songs that I’ll load up sometimes just to hear.

I can’t believe no one has mentioned EVE Online music yet. Especially the scores that play during missions.
Start here and check them all out:

Oh yeah, EVE has some great atmospheric music.

Omega Five. A criminally underrated gem on XBLA. I love the first track in particular:

Man, I’m still surprised how well a lot of these songs we post have stuck over the years.

M.U.S.H.A. is still my favorite game for music.

Lots of great soundtracks already mentioned so I’ll just add some of my favorites that I haven’t seen mentioned.

I am very much a fan of the soundtrack for Metal Gear Solid and specifically the end theme song ‘The Best Is Yet To Come’:

w ww.youtube.com/watch?v=6miaTf1gF4g

I also like to point out the Gerudo Valley theme from Ocarina of Time. I’d park myself there in game just to listen to that theme.

w ww.youtube.com/watch?v=h7i7SkzttIY

And finally, special mention the soundtrack for Disgaia 1. In the 150 odd hours of playing it never once drove me to hit mute.

Anyone mentioned Evil Genius yet? Probably, but I’ll mention it again… it fit the setting so well.

More licensed music: I recently picked up the original Crackdown (yeah, late to the party), and I was surprised to find some Celldweller tracks in there. Then, I realized I shouldn’t be surprised, since, this guy has licensed his music all over the place.

persona 3 is really the only answer i can give. i usually play games with my own library playing in the background (i pause it for cutscenes and the like). For some strange reason i could never bring myself to play music over the sweet tunes of persona 3.

Tiny Wings:
Theme music d/l is free:
http://www.andreasilliger.com/

Final Fantasy III
Super Metroid
I feel like I remember Startopia having some great music too, I might try to reinstall that today actually…

I forgot about EVE since I’ve had the music muted to hear Vent for so long, but the soundtrack IS really very good.
I always enjoyed the track Red Glowing Dust, it really captures a lot of what EVE was for me when I was first learning. (Feeling lost, amazed, scared and profoundly relaxed. Mostly.)

Which FF3? The real one, or the American FF6?

I’m assuming VI, since III’s music is fine but nothing to write home about.

I should know better to clarify… American FFVI