Favorite Game. That's all

Thief 2.

I never owned a DOS PC, but I have disctinct memories of giving up on the mouse or sound in a variety of games to merely get games to boot at my friend’s (before I eventually fried his hard drive “extended error 16” the DOS prompt said).
That’s not my favorite game :(

It’s a tough one. My first temptation is to say Star Control II. But then I think about System Shock 2, Prince of Persia 2008, Fable II, Tetris, Geometry Wars 2, and so many others. but I guess I’ll stick with my initial instinct.

Nice to see someone else with this game in their “top list”. I loved it.

Doom II, though that becomes harder if we exclude user created content.

Gothic.

It’s hard not to choose a game from my youth. There have been great games since but it’s hard to capture the newness of some of the late 80s early 90s games.

I’ve got to go with Star Control 2. Followed closely by the original Pirates!, and Red Baron in third.

I think Pirates! is a more compelling design than Star Control 2, specially in its structure, but also in its inclusion of heavy simulation aspects (wind patterns!) into a casual/arcade experience. Also the remake does hold up way better than newer attempts at Star Control like games, so that’s probably significant.

Pirates! is it for me.

Morrowind.

Diablo 3

Doom 2

I would have to say Dark Souls. If it was how much time I spent playing a title, that would be LOTRO or Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion, if it was weighing in the nostalgia, probably Ultima V. But in the present, it would go to Dark Souls.

That’s a great choice. Dark Souls is definitely one of the best. To think I wrote off that game first dozen times I tried it.

Heretics! Dominions 3 is the one true game. Dominions 4 and 5 are also ok.

Dark Souls… I guess? Depends on the scale =) Most days played? Most things learned? Best designed game? Gah picking one is really hard!

Such a hard question. I think I need to pick Witcher 3. Its the only game I restarted the very same day I finished it, and enjoyed the 2nd play through every bit as much as I did the first time through.

Spelunky. There are other games I’ve spent more time playing, but nothing else strikes me as quite as close to perfection, in the sense that any potential change would make it worse.

Oh man, ONE game??? That is so tough. Tougher than one film for me.

I mean, the first time I attained video game nirvana was Super Metroid and that was after having played video games for at least a decade. But is it my favorite game? Hmmmm…

Baldur’s Gate II kept me glued to my PC for 130 hours over the course of a couple of months. Resident Evil 4 was that other rare game I played non-stop, and nothing else, until I finished it. Final Fantasy IX was all sorts of magical and beautiful. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was a ton of fun and had such a great soundtrack. Persona 4? Wizardy 8? Final Fantasy Tactics? Morrowind??? Ugh…I can’t do it!!!

Ok, Super Metroid it is… maybe.

Space Rangers 2.

Planescape Torment.