Favorite Game. That's all

SWOS on the Amiga

Like Rich said, it taught me the joy of tweaking a pc to get shit to run.

It had a perfect mix of RPGish squadron management, study hard and fly harder flight simming. Its systems and flight modelling were absolute top notch at that time. Presentation was sweet too with great music, sound design, speech bits. Just awesome. Its the game that made me.

This is very good.

This is also very good. I also did a second playthrough immediately.

Mine is Chrono Trigger.

Command & Conquer: Red Alert. It’s not the best game I’ve ever played, and the list of honorable mentions for “favorite” is significant, but RA was such a fundamental part of my gaming existence that it has to get the nod.

EverQuest

Alpha Protocol I replayed that one so often…

Reminds me I probably had the most total hours of fun in Dark Age of Camelot back in the day.

System Shock 2

I think I’ll go with Pirates! Yes, the version with the dancing. Ask me tomorrow and I’ll have a different choice.

Everquest

Well, going by my list in the Top 100 Games thread (that’s right, we have a Top 100 Games thread, have you put your entry in?) my number one is Starflight, which would certainly be a respectable choice in my opinion.

Then again, my number 11 Plants vs Zombies is the game I have probably spent the most hours with, and played on the most platforms. It’s kind of my go-to time killer, I never get tired of redoing a level here and there. So that too would have to be weighed as my favorite.

But then there’s Pac Man, which is probably the game I’ve been playing the longest, in terms of when I started playing. That’s another classic, and I don’t see myself ever getting tired of it. The Championship games are totally fun revisits of the formula. So, you know, there’s that.

Fallout 2

I’m still hoping to “get” this one some day. It looked really interesting when I bought it, and obviously it has received a tremendous amount of praise, but my experience with it has been: Die to two simple skeletons 40 times and have to respawn back at the beginning, followed by finally killing those two skeletons, and then running into five more and dying to them numerous times, respawning back at the beginning each time, and having to kill everything I previously killed. The only thing I dread more than dying to another skeleton is progressing beyond the skeletons and having to fight something that actually does more than just swing a sword at me.

That… isn’t the intended way to go when you start the game. Look around for a different direction you can go from the shrine.

Myth: The Fallen Lords

On the bright side… All that practice isn’t wasted! If you got good enough at the combat to take out several skeletons in a row using starter equipment, you’ll probably be able to cruise through the next couple of hours.

Doom 2

That makes 3 of us. Are we in the lead?

Haha nice one.

People often forget Starsiege: Tribes came out the same year (and MONTH!) as Half-life. (and by their powers combined cemented the WASD control scheme) So I think 10 years ahead of its time is far too low of an estimate. We are talking post-Quake II here.

It is at least 50 years ahead of its time, since I am still waiting for something like it that isn’t a total regression.

I found the correct way and it’s substantially easier now. Thanks!