Favorite Long Rock Songs?

Anybody else like long rockin’ songs? Gots to be 6 minutes or more. Some of my favorites:

Frank Zappa - Willie the Pimp 9:18 Captain Beefheart does a few vocals then Frank jams on his guitar…

Rage Against the Machine - Maggie’s Farm 6:54 Incredibly heavy version of Dylan’s tune.

Rolling Stones - Can’t You Hear Me Knocking 7:19 Dirty fuzztone Richards/Wood riffin’ with some dirty sax! (Dirty sax is the best kind, don’t you think?)

I left out In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and Free Bird on purpose. Now go illegally download!

Having grown up in the South in the 70s I am culturally and probably legally bound to say…

FREEBIRD!!!

…and flick my Bic.

Don Maclean’s American Pie (said the old man of the board :)

Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell

Seriously. It’s a bit silly, but I enjoy his exaggerated symphonic excessively long songs :)

Pink Floyd - Shine on You Crazy Diamond.

Multiple Tool songs. Too many to list.

Does Jethro Tull’s “Thick as a Brick” count?

Having grown up in Ohio in the 70s, I must concur. Besides, my mother’s side of the family is entirely from the South.

Nothing beats the fast part of Freebird on my bike on a twisty road.

Well, now we have Tabasco sauce and this.

Well, now we have Tabasco sauce and this.[/quote]

Ha! When I show up to shoot club, you can bring the Don Maclean and I’ll bring the tabasco.

Does Jethro Tull’s “Thick as a Brick” count?

Not as music, it doesn’t.
wheeeeeeee!

My pick: “Marquee Moon” by Television.

Foghat - Slowride :wink:

Some of my favourites:

Tool - The Patient
Matthew Good - Avalanche
The Mars Volta - Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt
Big Wreck - Overemphasizing

Dream Theater:
Metropolis Part I
Change of Seasons
Erotomania

Symphony X:
The Divine Wings of Tragedy
The Accolade

The Gathering:
Sand and Mercury

Ayreon:
Chaos
The Garden of Emotions

Led Zepplin:
Stairway to Heaven. Duh.

Just to name a few.

The Who - A Quick One While He’s Away

It’s on the Rushmore soundtrack, and it’s really cooooool.

Velvet Underground: “Sister Ray”
Dream Syndicate: “Halloween” and “Days of Wine & Roses”
My Bloody Valentine: “Soon”
Beatles: “A Day In The Life”
Prince: “DMSR”
Oasis: “Champagne Supernova”
Stratford 4: “Telephone”
Rolling Stones: “Midnight Rambler”
Neil Young: “Cortez The Killer”
Marvin Gaye: “Right On”
Sly & The Family Stone “I Want To Take You Higher”
The La’s “Looking Glass”

“Chapagne Supernova” should be disqualified. It’s barely 6 minutes, and only because they repeat the chorus a couple dozen times.

At least Freebird has a guitar solo (and a badass one, at that).

And while I’m here, 6 minutes is hardly long for a rock song. I mean, is there a track on Master of Puppets that clocks in at LESS than 5.5 minutes? I think the average track length on that godly CD is about 6.8 minutes or some shit.

A long rock song should be at least 7.5 minutes. If they play an uncut version on the radio, then it’s not long. ;)

EDIT: Damn I was close. Running time on Muppets is 54 minutes give or take a second, making the average track length a whopping 6 minutes and 45 seconds.

Now there was a band that KNEW how to do it. Emphasis on past tense.

Fuck that weak shit, yo.

Fuck that up a goddamn tree.

“Champagne Supernova” is nearly twice as long as any other songs on the seminally brilliant WHAT’S THE STORY, and thus comparatively is a “long song”. Give me a coked-to-the-gills Liam Gallagher whinge-ing the chorus of “Supernova” a hundred times over an endless series of piled-on guitar solos.